I would love for you to know my Oompa.... (from one of his closest friends)

by Robert7 67 Replies latest jw friends

• redredrose
    redredrose

Thanks Stacey and Wes, for your eloquence.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Thank you for sharing that Wes and Stacey. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

• MrsCedars
    MrsCedars

My condolences to you Wes and Stacey, and to Eric’s family and friends. I didn't know him, nevertheless my heart breaks at the thought of his death, especially now after you showing us the man that you knew. My thoughts are with you, and Eric.

• sizemik
    sizemik

Thank you for sharing that Wes and Stacey . . . it was a privelege to read.

Eric's honesty and openness drew many of us to him. There will always be a little bit of Oompa here.

My heartfelt condolences to you both for what is obviously a huge loss.

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

Wes and Stacey-thank you for such a heartfelt letter. I'm so sorry you and others here, have lost your dear friend. You have given him a human face.

What a tragedy.

• JWB
    JWB

Some people just don't think about the consequences of their actions in connection with those who are under a huge emotional burden. Those representatives of the WTS, who consider themselves to be spiritual physicians 'binding up the broken-hearted', do well to consider that medical maxim "first, do no harm". As far as I'm concerned, there is huge culpability attached to those who help the WTS in enforcing the shunning policy. To some who are extremely emotionally fragile, this can cause the end of not just their spiritual life, but also their physical life.

I'm so sorry for Oompah that it came to this. Believe me, I do understand. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

In a related matter, it is a pity that a person would have to actually threaten suicide for a WTS judicial committee to back off (see below), rather than approaching each case on an individual basis according to awareness of a person's general emotional/mental state. It is also a pity that JWs are not allowed to exercise their own consciences, based on the understanding of mitigating circumstances, to decide for themselves whether or not to shun.

"In judicial cases where the accused threatens suicide, it may be best for the committee to suspend the hearing to focus on helping him regain his balance. (See 7:12) They should assure him of the committee's desire to help him, then broach the subject of depression and suicide, using the Scriptures and Bible-based publications. (Prov. 3:11, 12; 4:13; Heb. 12:5, 6, 11-13) Depending upon his emotional state, it may be best to do this a day or two later. The elders can prepare by reviewing articles that will help them deal sensitively with the depressed individual. (w00 9/15 pp. 3-7; w88 10/15 pp. 25-29; 11/15 pp. 21-24; w82 6/1 pp. 9-14) The judicial committee should avoid prolonging the case unnecessarily, as this can cause stress for the accused. They should take notes for the confidential file, outlining the dates of their conversations and the scriptures and articles that were considered. They should sign it and place it in the file for the case. The judicial committee should communicate with the branch office if there are questions about a certain case." - Shepherd the Flock of God, page 86, paragraph 16 ("If the Accused Threatens Suicide")

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

I'm not here too much anymore, so this is the first I heard of Oompa's death. It's so sad, I can't believe he's really gone. We emailed for a while a few years back. His struggles with the fallout of leaving the WT were heartwrenching.

Wes and Stacy, that was a beautiful tribute to your friend. And I'm so sorry for your loss.

Oompa, I hope you have found peace. You have touched so many lives with your wit and charm and struggles. You won't be forgotten.

GGG

• Tenacious
    Tenacious
    Bump

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit