I was HAPPY as a JW, how did I get here?

by MC RubberMallet 85 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• smiddy
    smiddy

I`m looking forward to part 2

smiddy

• jam
    jam

Happy a a pig in slop, knee deep in garbage.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

likewise looking forward to Pt2 Mallet

• Sulla
    Sulla

• It's good to read a thread that emphasizes the reality of many ex-witnesses: They were happy as witnesses. Unlike many, many others, their lives in the organization were fulfilling. Their stories are just as valid as those who were unhappy and unfulfilled as witnesses. I have long believed that untold numbers of JWs are well-adjusted individuals who do not lead lives of quiet desperation.
      • And yet, happiness - or its opposite - are hardly reliable barometers of a religion's goodness or otherwise.
      • People can lead lives of bliss in miserable surroundings and the opposite is also true: People can present as pictures of perfect happiness in the most depressing of environments. This speaks to both human vulnerability and its opposite, resilience.
      • I do look forward to the second part of this post because it has the potential to offer insights and observations not often aired about factors besides "happiness" that influence people's continued affiliation with their religion.

It is intetesting, Steve2. There are plenty of places in this country where joining the JWs actually delivers desperately needed stability and structure. The comment about ways out of the neighborhood being the NBA or rap is apt, I suspect. Even a rigid and judgmental morality can deliver benefits when the alternative is something like chaos.

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

Welcome..back I guess. Enjoyed your story, I too was "happy" in the truth until I realized that being an elder was all political and the WTS shielded filthy pedophiles. I look forward to hearing more.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

NEW CHAPTER: I also thought I was very happy as a JW. I have many stories of support and extraordinary love. I wasn't unhappy when I left, but just stumbled on some info that made me question everything.

YES YES YES! Oh how much easier it was while taking the BLUE PILL! Especially if you manage to migrate to the top of the heap within the Org.

BUT, the problem is: What to do once you know TTATT? There is NO turning Back! All those things that were wonderful "new light" and evidence of God's Blessing, Gee Wow Oh My............all become bull$hit. Now, everytime you sit thru a recruitment session, your BS Meter red lines.

Once Pandora's Box was opened..............there was not putting it all back.

Doc

• undercover
    undercover

It's good to read a thread that emphasizes the reality of many ex-witnesses: They were happy as witnesses. Unlike many, many others, their lives in the organization were fulfilling. Their stories are just as valid as those who were unhappy and unfulfilled as witnesses. I have long believed that untold numbers of JWs are well-adjusted individuals who do not lead lives of quiet desperation.

That's why I like our posts, Steve. You manage to cut through the angst and bitterness to face the reality that just because we may have had to leave, some people actually like being witnesses. And there are decent, well-adjusted people in their ranks.

I will caution to say, they are decent, well-adjusted people - as long as they don't face a situation where they have to choose between the organization and a family member, or a career, or education. I think that's the rub. As long as they're allowed to remain in a vacuum, without really facing reality, then they can be happy, fairly well adjusted people. But let someone in their circle of JW only friends/family assert themselves independent of WT-think, and you can see some real dysfunction real fast. But I've learned to accept that JWs have every much a right to their belief as I have a right to non believe. It does get hard to not hold grudges; you have to learn to judge each situation on its own merit, not based on the overall connection to JWism.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the story from the OP myself.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Really enjoyed this intro to your story. It brought back some fond memories of my own from when I was a happy, seemingly well-adjusted JW. Thank you for that.

Looking forward to the next installment.

And, if you are so-inclined, I'm curious about your previous alias here on JWN. PM me?

-Aude Sapere (meaning: Dare to Know; Dare to Have Widsom/Understanding; Dare to Think for Yourself)

• sd-7
    sd-7

Seriously. I just don't see how you could be happy unless you just weren't reading the literature. Even when I believed it there were aspects of our belief system that were disturbing to me. But then I never understood the zealot types anyway. It seemed like they were denying themselves, and not in the good way, but losing part of their humanity, part of...who they were as people. I always figured there should be more to us than what we believe. Recreation should be something other than putting on a plaid shirt and khakis and cleaning the Kingdom Hall property.

But even so, in this case, I would say that such people did not have emotional reasons to leave the organization as I did, but perhaps were convinced by logic and then emotion came later.

--sd-7

• sabastious
    sabastious
    3) I had a roommate who got disfellowshipped out of Bethel. Everyone was treating me like he died. Which, in JW sense, he did. I got cards, candy, phone messages, invited out more, encouraged. Lol. I did think it was a tad ridiculous, but it demonstrated the love of everyone around me. Unfortunately, it showed the inhumane side that witnesses are "scripturally" taught to treat such ones.

Your roommate got DF'ed and they send YOU a get well soon card? You call that loving?

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit