Video tribute to Oompa (Eric Reeder)

by cedars 83 Replies latest jw friends

• AGuest
    AGuest

What a lovely tribute, dear cedars (peace to you!). Perhaps the family that is planning a memorial would like to see it? With your permission, of course?

Again, peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• mouthy
    mouthy

Thank you so muchCedars

• SlipnSlide
    SlipnSlide

Beautiful video. I hope that everyone gets a chance to view it.

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

Lovely, Cedars. I can't help but wish I had enough information and pictures of Jaimie that I could do something like that for her, too. Two people I cared about lost to DFing in just a few months. How many more? When will it stop? How can we commemorate those who have been lost to the evil cult?

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Nice Cedars

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Cedars,

You certainly have a talent for media presentations. I feel you touched just the right note here.

I understand that people are very angry about shunning and its result(s). For a few days or a week I believe it would be prudent to focus on just honoring Eric. The WT will still be around to attack when a decent period has passed. I don't know how to explain it fully in words. Both presidential campaigns suspended operations on 9/11 to show respect for the victims and their loves ones and friends. 9/12 brought the campaigns back in fighting form.

Cedars,

You had me in tears. Good tears.

• cedars
    cedars

Thanks everyone. I am grateful that the video is helping people to grieve and remember Eric. I'm still fairly young (in my 30s) but I've already been profoundly touched by death in my own life, so I can understand the impact it has on people. There aren't many things I can do at times like this, but I can always make videos. I also found a wealth of material on Eric's facebook page with which to work, so really you could say that Eric did all the hard work for me. All I really needed to do was put it all together and pick the music, which I decided on almost instantly. I was amazed at some of those artistic landscape shots on Eric's page that I assume he took - moments of beauty in nature. They were perfect for such a tribute to help us reflect. If he did take those shots, then he was a remarkably gifted photographer with a keen eye for a shot. Even if he didn't take them, I'm grateful to him for leaving them on his facebook page for me and others to use.

Shelby

What a lovely tribute, dear cedars (peace to you!). Perhaps the family that is planning a memorial would like to see it? With your permission, of course?

Yes, I would be more than happy for the family to see this video and use it as they see fit.

mamochan13

How can we commemorate those who have been lost to the evil cult?

I guess first and foremost by remembering who they were and never allowing them to leave our thoughts. By keeping them in our memories we learn from their experience and they help define who we are. Once the dust has settled, another thing we can do is try to make sure others don't suffer the same way they did.

Band on the run

For a few days or a week I believe it would be prudent to focus on just honoring Eric. The WT will still be around to attack when a decent period has passed.

That's precisely my approach. Now is the time to remember Eric and share in grief with those who knew and loved him. There will be plenty of time once the dust has settled to explore why this happened (although most of us already know) and make sure this is highlighted in an appropriate way that honors Eric's memory by way of warning others. But now is the time for mourning - nothing more, nothing less.

Cedars

• TimeBandit
    TimeBandit

Wow, that made me weep. A very touching tribute Cedars. Thanks.

Chris-

• cofty
    cofty

Well done Cedars

• AGuest
    AGuest

Thank you, dear cedars (and peace to you!). I will forward to the family that contacted me.

On another note (and please excuse if this isn't the thread for it, but given some of the comments, I'm going to assume it is) - I just want to go on record, though, saying, that I think it's time for both: honoring dear Eric as well as shouting to the mountain tops what the policies, practices, and doctrines of the WTBTS can do to people, particularly the mentally and emotionally vulnerable. Because now is the time when the feelings and thoughts are there, in the forefront... and because such shouting DOES honor him and those like him. Because although THEY should, the WTBTS isn't going to suspend a meeting, assembly, field service, or their ugly gossip for one second for dear Eric - to the contrary, they're not going to make any mention of him at all unless it is to malign him for is final choice. Which flies in the face of what they SHOULD do... which is CARE for the sheep... in every way they CAN... so as NOT to lose even one.

I do not think it is dishonoring to dear Eric... or anyone who has suffered a similar plight... to speak up "in the moment." To the contrary, it is NOT speaking up that allows it to continue. I mean, it was highly unlikely, given the high level of security after 9/11 that another attack would occur right away. But how do WE know that there wasn't another "Eric" facing the exact same thing the very same day or the day after?? We don't. Indeed, it is more likely than not that there was... and still is! Perhaps our "shouts", however, let such one(s) know that WE know who and what is behind THEIR pain... and because of that they were able to hold off just a little while longer, just one more time. Waiting a day or two... or more... could be too late for THEM.

Folks can take issue with me, disagree, whatever. Such ones should know by now that I don't give a wit one way or the other whether I'm agreed with: truth... is truth... and I have never been afraid to speak it. I will say, though, that if dear Eric's demise had come at the hand of another person literally, not a single one of us would cry, "Oh, no, wait - let's honor Eric first, THEN the police can go after his murderer!" We would NOT - we would call for them to go after that person, if not do so ourselves, that very moment! And everyone knows it. And doing so would not dishonor him at all, but show just how much we VALUED him: "So, get ON it, NOW!" we would shout. We would only suspend the "search" during the quiet moments of his memorial, which IS the appropriate time (although the police would not suspend their search even during that time, would they? SHOULD they?)

Immediately calling out those who are indirectly responsible for this tragedy isn't dishonoring our fellow board member, dear ones; hiding, denying, pretending they had no role in it, refusing to acknowledge their part... NOT calling them out and doing so IMMEDIATELY... when we KNOW the pain and angst they put him through... and brought him to this point earlier than needed be... dishonors him. It is borne of a spirit of cowardice... and there is NO honor in that for ANYONE.

This is the truth and I will say it, even if no one else will. So, please, dissenters, keep in mind... I neither need nor want your approval: truth... is truth... and if you need it watered-down or colored as something else, you won't get that from me. Look elsewhere, which is easy enough as there are plenty who will do that for you. I won't.

Peace to you ALL!

A slave of Christ,

SA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit