Video tribute to Oompa (Eric Reeder)

by cedars 83 Replies latest jw friends

• cedars
    cedars

Hi everyone

I didn't know Eric particularly well, and I feel terrible that I didn't reach out to him more or try to help him while I still had the opportunity.

I feel extremely helpless, but the least I can do is help others remember him who knew him better.

Here is a video I've uploaded to YouTube in his honor...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67A0Imd6dng

I hope it helps us as we mourn a much-loved member of this forum.

Cedars

• cedars
    cedars

I apologize in advance if this video won't play in all countries or on all devices due to the music I've chosen.

I had a particular piece of music in mind, and I wanted to use it. The fan cover versions just didn't do it justice.

Cedars

[edit post: also, if I've typed anything inaccurate in the video description, please let me know.]

• BorgHater
    BorgHater

That was beautiful, broke my heart, thank you. ( Borghater and mum)

We miss you eric

• carla
    carla

Beautiful Cedars

• I quit!
    I quit!

Very moving Cedars. Lovely music. I viewed it a few minutes ago on my Droid and it played fine there.

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

That was very thoughtful of you, Cedars.

• cedars
    cedars

Thanks guys, I'm glad it's ok. I haven't done this sort of thing before. I was nearly choking up making it.

Cedars

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Nice work Cedars.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Cedars, I wonder if we might honour Eric's life with another inspired press release (that leads to the 2012 survey)?

Maybe it could be a 2012 roundup of where the Watchtower is at, what has happened this year, and what is in the future?

I imagine some stats may be useful to help others see the relevance of the Watchtower and the unchecked risks it represents to families and society.

The WBTS punches above its weight - a billion hours trying to recruit persons when they are vulnerable, and then seperating them from their loved ones when they choose to change their beliefs and exit the Watchtower.

Many at the doors know instinctively to stay clear of the Watchtower, but very few can explain to vulnerable persons why and how.

The JWN stats are also potentially impressive for such an article.

The Watchtower is very significant sociologically. If there is such a thing as a "true religion" they do work very hard to be exactly that. Yet they are unable to explain or face their many failures and their legacy of spiritual harm and abuse.

Will the increasingly authoritarian ruling religious clergy class of the Watchtower collapse? If so when and how?

I really am praying for something to trump the great "war of words" initiative and article...

How many lives must be ruined and lost before we stand up and say enough?

• cedars
    cedars

Hi Fernando

Those are some good suggestions. Unfortunately I've had a bit of a falling out with the media recently! I emailed them a few times on various developments, and not a single journalist had the decency to so much as thank me for the information. It would be nice to think that a journalist out there would cover the story, but sadly unless there is a whiff of scandal or police involvement (as there was with the mentally diseased "war of words" article) it seems the media likes to keep its distance.

I do hope to write an article on the terrible effects of shunning that will discuss Eric's experience as extensively as possible. I don't know all the facts yet and I would need to do a bit of research to piece everything together - but I'm sure it would be worth it in the end. However, things are still pretty raw at the moment so perhaps now it is best to remember Eric as the man he was, and then once a bit of water has flowed under the bridge we can take stock and begin to address the reasons why this has happened.

Cedars

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit