Sam Harris - On the Freedom to Offend an Imaginary God

by cofty 93 Replies latest social current

• tec
    tec

If your loved one was promoting extreme misogyny and homophobia I would be doing you a favour by criticising them.

Perhaps so. I did say this:

Because I know that some people will speak against and perhaps even trash something that someone loves, if that thing that they love is harmful to them.

But have you read the Quran and spoken to moderate muslims yourself, to see how they reconcile this... with peace and love that they say theirs is a religion of? Because if you haven't, are you sure you're getting the full story, or are you just getting the propoganda or the extremists views?

Just curious.

Peace,

tammy

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I can't say I was personally angry, hurt, distressed, or whatever. It made me aware that we have a lot to do to overcome superstition. I do use it as a point in debates, but personaly, I'm okay. It is not all that shocking. It's a statement of how things are, so it was information. It was more a reflection of the ignorance of some believers than a reflection of me personally. In the end, what am I supposed to do about it? Get full of rage? Why? THAT's how they feel! I can shake my fist at the sky or get weepy, but that's not really how most of us work. Instead, we continue speaking up and letting others know we are here. Apparently, they have to get used to us. Atheism has been so hated by believers and hateful rhetoric against atheists preached for so long, this is simply the fruitage of that.

I'm more concerned about things that matter. Policy. Government. Education. Liberty. I'm not too concerned about how much a person who trusts an imaginary person trust me personally.

And what you miss, because you cannot see the smile on my face, is the underlying bemusement I view such things with. I spent this weekend with my cousin, and her husband is a literal believer in the bible. Well she is much more like me, and she kept instigating debate. I used much of the same language with him that I use here, and he laughed a lot and so did I. This does not offend people in my real life, because they can see my face, see my body language and read my tone. In fact, he and I went into a very deep bible study. We talked about Hebrew and Greek and the many shades of meaning. I showed him scriptures he had never heard of. He even took a cup of water and tried to demonstrate how a world-wide flood was possible. I literally grabbed my head and shook it back and forth and said, "You did NOT just do that! That is so wrong, I don't even know where to start." He laughed. He loves me, and doesn't think that I have no respect for him, because we talk about so many things not related to this. In the end, he concluded that I knew the bible much better than he does.

Now I'm told that his aunt has heard about our legendary debate, and she took it in good humor too. She is anxious to meet me and have a similar discussion. Next time I visit, I guess I have to talk to her too. I'm sure they both think I'm going to Hell, but hey, whatever. I tell them not to worry about that too much, and apparently they don't.

See, you make assumptions about me based on heated debates. Most of my debates in person are full of laughter, and we both mock accordingly. After hearing the debate, my cousin now wants to read the bible. So she has started and she keeps emailing me asking me to explain what she has read. And so I do. Of course, the more she reads, the more ridiculous it all is, but she has a desire to understand.

So whatever. I don't really need my atheism to be respected because I believe I am right. It doesn't really matter to me if you agree. I don't need that. I don't need validation. You can't tear down my atheism. It is impossible. I am not threatened in any way.

My brother once said at work that he was an atheist. A fellow employee nearly had a seizure and asked my brother why he didn't just eat children if there was no god. Well we just find this hysterical! He didn't come home weeping that someone disrespected his nonbelief. He came home with that bemused expression shaking his head and telling the story, because it was really funny.

• still thinking
    still thinking

I would never go so far in my objection to blame the filmmakers and book-burners for the harm caused by the retaliation...OTWO

I wouldn't either. Put the blame where it belongs. On the religious extremists that think it is their RIGHT to murder people for their god and because someone made a video they didn't like.

A fim maker has not murdered people, they have simply expressed their opinion. The fact that we think a film maker should shut up and not 'offend' someone just shows how scared we really are of relgious believers.

Just like the OT bible god, these extremists are trying to use fear to control. Most of the world already lives in fear of suicide bombings. Should we really shut up about it and let them express their belief in this way?

I used to think that we shouldn't 'provoke' people like that. But actually, these things continue to this day because good people do nothing and keep quiet. I hope more people voice their opinions about these murderous religiously intollerant people. If we don't, what will stop it?

If they pass a law about blasphemy....GOD help us all.

• tec
    tec

Well, I like the image of the good natured you in a debate. There is no disrespect for another person in that. I can see affection for the other person in your debate. When both sides are amused, having a robust debate, and walk away with affection and respect for one another. So we do miss a lot without body language and such to go by.

I don't really get that sense from you when you debate with me. Not in a long time at least.

I think you might have missed my point re: people judging atheists as 'bad' and 'evil' just because they are atheists; not seeing the person through the atheism. Because that happens the opposite way as well, and that is what i am speaking against. I would speak against it for atheists as well. (well, not always... there was a time when i thought all atheists were mean and disrespectful, especially to believers, because that had been my entire experience in my personal life with 'professed' atheists... but there are enough people on here that have shown me otherwise, so that i know that my previous view was VERY wrong, and so I moved forward with what I had learned. Now i realize just how limited and ignorant my previous view was.)

You said that it made you see that it was more of a reflection of the ignorance of believers than a reflection of you personally. I agree. Just as I think that the people who make statements against all people of faith simply on the basis of their faith is also ignorance. I do not see it is as a reflection on me either. But i worry a great deal when people cannot see the person behind the faith (or atheism). Both are wrong. Both are ignorant.

Peace,

tammy

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I think you might have missed my point re: people judging atheists as 'bad' and 'evil' just because they are atheists; not seeing the person through the atheism. Here is the thing, and maybe this is the big difference. I don't care. They are wrong. Defend us, don't defend us, I just don't care. I DON'T like double standards, so when I see believers calling out atheists for being disrespectful, but then rally behind abusive believers, I will call foul on that.

Have you noticed, abuse aside, that the nonbelievers on this board don't tend to defend each other from simple insults? I've often said that Cofty doesn't need me to defend him, and he doesn't. If I thought he was being abused, as in when EP was being accused of being an alcoholic etc, that is different. We don't really see ourselves of victims in need of defense. We see ourselves more as fighters out to change things and how people form their opinions. Individuals will judge as they see fit, and they have that right. I will not date a believer. I am prejudical with that, and don't hide the fact. But I don't reject friends and family based on such criteria.

I also see that the nonbelievers on the board all tend to be more direct and to the point. Some see this as disrespectful, but I think it shows something deeper. Our worldview is different. We tend to see things and state them, and we feel no need to couch such observations in a lot of language that softens them. I don't know why that is, but it is. Perhaps it has something to do with us putting emotion second to reason, and wanting to cut through the bullshit and just get to the meat of the matter. Maybe it is because we don't feel personally offended as often, and it blows our mind that believers are so easy to offend. Maybe it is because we are minorities in the world, and so we speak more strongly as we don't have the luxury of being laid back about things. Maybe we resent that we must call ourselves ATHEISTS and therefore define our very selves relative to our relationship with your god. It seems quite silly.

All I can say is that in person, I'm pretty much the same. Ask anyone. Noni knows me. I haven't destroyed any relationships by voicing my opinions or debating. I do prefer the company of nonreligious people, because they see things the way I see them and they don't offend as easily.

• tec
    tec

I DON'T like double standards, so when I see believers calling out atheists for being disrespectful, but then rally behind abusive believers, I will call foul on that.

As well you should.

I don't like double standards either. Denouncing an entire group of people for their particular faith because of the actions of some, is also a double standard, when you do not stand for that upon yourself. (speaking in general here)

Have you noticed, abuse aside, that the nonbelievers on this board don't tend to defend each other from simple insults?

Sometimes they do. I don't notice all that many insults coming their way for their non-faith though.

Have you noticed that the believers are usually the ones on the defense? Perhaps that is why they come to one another's defense more. Perhaps they come to one another's defense out of love for that person, or a bond. Probably different in every scenario.

Or perhaps we are both seeing with a bit of bias on this one. Might not be as many differences as we tend to think, except for what we are looking for.

I've often said that Cofty doesn't need me to defend him, and he doesn't.

Why would he? Cofty can handle his own.

If I thought he was being abused, as in when EP was being accused of being an alcoholic etc, that is different.

You don't know the history surrounding that. I like EP and consider him a friend... but that man MORE than gives as good as he gets. He can definitely handle his own.

As can I. As can you. As can many of the strongly outspoken people here, believer or not.

We don't really see ourselves of victims in need of defense.

Good. I'm wondering at your point though. I don't see myself as a victim in need of defense.

We see ourselves more as fighters out to change things and how people form their opinions.

Well, there you have it. You see yourself as a fighter out to change things. I guess I get drawn into fights, but I don't really see myself as a fighter. I guess i want to speak against lies, and I think you mostly want the same. We just have a difference of opinion on what consists of lies.

Individuals will judge as they see fit, and they have that right. I will not date a believer. I am prejudical with that, and don't hide the fact. But I don't reject friends and family based on such criteria.

Okay. Well, i'm married to an atheist, lol. And I don't really care at all what anyone is... I care about what they do, how they treat others. Regardless of their faith/non-faith. I do feel comfort and peace around those who have faith in Christ, as I do, because those are people of peace and of love.

That is not to say that all christains are like this... but i feel a great peace when i recognize those who are.

I also see that the nonbelievers on the board all tend to be more direct and to the point.

I think that would depend upon the person. But perhaps.

Some see this as disrespectful, but I think it shows something deeper. Our worldview is different. We tend to see things and state them, and we feel no need to couch such observations in a lot of language that softens them. I don't know why that is, but it is.

Direct and to the point is not disrespectful, though it can be harsh. However, when a believer is direct and to the point, they are considered to be rude and nasty or perhaps abusive by non-beleivers as well. So... perhaps it is just when someone is direct and to the point in their disagreement or their truth, that disagrees with your truth, regardless of whether they are a believer or non-believer.

If someone is trying to soften something, it might simply be because they are trying not to offend or hurt someone else. Or they are trying a more gentle approach so as not to argue, but rather in the hopes of discussing and learning.

Perhaps it has something to do with us putting emotion second to reason, and wanting to cut through the bullshit and just get to the meat of the matter. Maybe it is because we don't feel personally offended as often, and it blows our mind that believers are so easy to offend.

Perhaps.

But I think non-believers are just as easily offended as anyone else.

Maybe it is because we are minorities in the world, and so we speak more strongly as we don't have the luxury of being laid back about things. Maybe we resent that we must call ourselves ATHEISTS and therefore define our very selves relative to our relationship with your god. It seems quite silly.

You don't have to call yourself anything. But if you are going against what has always been, and still is, then i don't think there is any way around that. And perhaps it is because you are being labeled something or judged on the basis of your non-faith. So it is little wonder that you do the same to people who are of faith.

But both stances are wrong.

However, if you think belief is mere superstition that is slowly going to die out as people progress and evolve... then you DO have the luxury of being laid back (at least as much as anyone else has that luxury). Because it would be inevitable.

All I can say is that in person, I'm pretty much the same. Ask anyone. Noni knows me. I haven't destroyed any relationships by voicing my opinions or debating. I do prefer the company of nonreligious people, because they see things the way I see them and they don't offend as easily.

I'm quieter in person. Well, unless I'm comfortable around people or unless someone is wiling/wanting to engage, or asks questions that I can answer. Then I can get pretty animated ;)

Peace,

tammy

• tec
    tec

Feel free.

It is not me to mock someone else for their belief or non-belief (or for anything at all for that matter, but especially not for that. Their path is their path and their business.)

Peace,

tammy

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Tams said:

"Okay. Well, i'm married to an atheist, lol."

Allow me to pick my jaw up off the floor for a moment....

"I married an atheist"? TAMMY, how COULD you allow yourself to become unevenly yoked like that?!?

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Believers will publicly say they don't agree with name-calling............until one of their own does it.

Believers will publicly say they don't agree with insults......................until one of their own does it.

I agree with what NC said - the atheists here don't rally behind someone who is abusive, name-calling, etc. They let the person stand on their own.

The believers rally behind and support their own - no matter what they do.

Jesus said, "He who is faithful in small things, is faithful is larger things."

Quote:

And of course, the person who is killing someone (be it their offender or an innocent) is totally in the wrong

I no longer have any doubt that Christians will publicly say they don't agree with killing...............until one of their own does it.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Mr. Obama appeared to relish the larger canvas of the United Nations and his subject, freedom of speech and why in the United States, even making

“a crude and disgusting video” is a right of all citizens.

“As president of our country, and commander in chief of our military, I accept that people are going to call me awful things every day,” Mr. Obama

said. “And I will defend their right to do so.” For that, he received cheers in the cavernous hall.

He's got my vote, again.

If you removed religion or belief from the earth, you'd still have people trying to force other people to agree with them. You'd still have people killing each other. Humans are annoying that way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit