Sam Harris - On the Freedom to Offend an Imaginary God

by cofty 93 Replies latest social current

• still thinking
    still thinking

The one major thing that all believers of ALL faiths have in common is the delusion that their particular flavour of god is real. And they all think theirs is the right one...and they ALL know this for a fact....no matter what religion or belief they hold.

There is no reason why one unproven belief should be respected more than another unproven belief.

And certainly no reason to respect those that kill or terrorise for their belief in an imaginary god.

• ziddina
    ziddina

As SlimboyFat and others have pointed out, Christianity - and for that matter, Judaism - have just as bloody a history as Islam.

Having said that, there is no excuse for Islam to be going through such a "Dark Ages" in the modern world. It's not like they're struggling to understand where sicknesses, earthquakes and other natural phenomena/disasters come from.

Their collective bullying behavior towards ANYONE who disputes or worse yet, disparages their extreme religiosity, has always strongly reminded me of the behavior of a bullying, battering husband who attempts to force absolute silence upon all dissenting voices.

Zid

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

Egypt refers man who tore Bible to trial

Cairo - Egyptian prosecutors referred to trial Tuesday a well-known radical Islamist who tore up an English copy of the Bible during a protest outside the US Embassy in Cairo against an anti-Islam film produced in the United States.

http://www.news24.com/Africa/News/Egypt-refers-man-who-tore-Bible-to-trial-20120926

Somehow, these people think this will placate the West. They just don't get it.

• tec
    tec

Now that is just seems so sad and wrong, irony wise. (except the guy wants his day in court, if I read the article correctly)

I mean, that would be an awesome rebuttal to people burning Qurans. No one gets hurt and you would think that it would quickly just be seen as silly. You burn my book? I tear yours up!

Blasphemy laws are scary things... very easy to abuse for anything someone does not agree with.

Peace,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit