Sam Harris - On the Freedom to Offend an Imaginary God

by cofty 93 Replies latest social current

• cofty
    cofty

IMO an excellent blog post by Sam Harris....

We are free to burn the Qur’an or any other book, and to criticize Muhammad or any other human being. Let no one forget it .

Most secular liberals think that all religions are the same, and they consider any suggestion to the contrary a sign of bigotry. Somehow, this article of faith survives daily disconfirmation.

He compares the word "religion" to the word "sport" which covers such a huge range of activities that often have very little in common.

Islam is not like other religions. Harris illustrates his point by pointing out the incredulity needed to believe in Mormonism.

The point, however, is that I can say all these things about Mormonism, and disparage Joseph Smith to my heart’s content, without fearing that I will be murdered for it. Secular liberals ignore this distinction at every opportunity and to everyone’s peril.

it is time our government delivered this message without blinking.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Good article..thanks for posting.

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

How true.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Good for Sam Harris ! he has blogged exactly what I have been thinking and saying for a long time, and perhaps he will be listened to.

He makes the salutary observation that we have already lost a lot of our freedom to bullying Muslims, we should not give them any further ground. My parents generation fought in the 2nd World War to stop a totalitarian rulership coming about that would dictate what we saw, read and said.

We will be spitting on the graves of those who died for our freedom if we allow Islam to dictate to us any further.

I like a phrase he uses with regard to what is necessary to be a Mormon, an "embracing of the preposterous", applies to some former friends of ours too, that one.

Thanks Cofty, for posting, the voice of reason and courage is not often encountered today.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I find Islam just as problematic as the next person. I realize there are people who practice it more moderately, but it is a brutal religion as are all the Abrahamic religions. But this is their time to be bloody, and because it is aggravated by other factors, they are really embracing that part of their religion now.

I agree with the bulk of his comment, but then he brings government into it. I will be speaking from an American perspective here. Our government CANNOT call out Islam. We have a wall of separation between church and state, and while that wall is breeched all the time, it is a deep principal in the Constitution. Muslims in America are not violent, and if our government comes out with a strong statement against the religion, that will be a go ahead for more violence against them. Christians will really like that. Our government simply cannot choose good religions and bad religions.

I'm especially sensitive to this because there are elected officials that would rewrite history and rewrite our constitution to claim that Christianity is the superior religion. And these are the kind of Chrisitans that are incredibly hostile to any that don't think the way they do. In fact, some of these ELECTED Christians are supporting the government of Uganda in its quest to make homosexuality punishable by death. So Christians have terrorist hearts too when it comes to their religion, and the only thing that prevents these whack jobs (who get elected---meaning many Americans would support this horror) from getting that kind of power here is our constitution and the wall of separation.

If our POTUS or any important government official came out publically against Islam, not only would that shut down diplomatic relationships with a problem filled portion of the world, but the Christians here would see it as a win and push into that crack. We are barely holding them at bay as it is. They slither into any little rat hole they can find and try to get control. We STILL fight Intelligent Design attempts in our courts.

And as far as needing to be particularly gullible to be a Mormon---well we have a faithful Mormon running for POTUS---so that tells you where we are with it.

I hope the first religions to go are all of the Abramic religions. Unfortunately, they will likely to be the final hold-outs. If we falter on this at all, if we choose even on religion to frown on, that will be a huge crack, and we will have these crazy right wing nut jobs pushing ever harder on the tails of their victory to turn this into a Christian country, and since government has already chosen a bad religion, we will be on our way to choosing good religions.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Do not doubt for one minute that if the Christian church regained the power it had before the Enlightenment it would again become just as authoritarian and brutal as it was before the Enlightenment and as Islam is now. There is nothing intrinsically more violent about Islam or tolerant about Christianity, these are just effects of the historical and social situations the respective religions now find themselves in.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I agree, Slim. The real issue here is the power. These are theocracies, and those are always totalitarian. As I said, the Muslims in America are not violent, and that is because they don't have the power of government behind them.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Just what do you think it would take to turn these young Christians into terrorists? Listen as this woman envies the training of Islam children. This is always simmering beneath the surface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqUshJR6jCw

• tec
    tec

I must completely disagree with him and his statement.

Sure, you have the freedom to offend an imaginary God. Though of course you are actually offending REAL PEOPLE. You are also lumping all people into one... the moderates, those who have sanctity for life (all life), those who speak out against the extremists in Islam who take life, those who have stood with people of other faiths AGAINST the extremists in their own; and the extremists.

Not that freedom to offend means you SHOULD offend.

If you want to burn a Quran, then why don't you go over there and burn one. That way the only person being hurt is you... not someone who is living in another country, respecting the people of that country. The people who do it get death threats, but other people get hurt or killed.

And of course the person who is killing someone (be it their offender or an innocent) is totally in the wrong. Totally. But the idiot burning the quran is just that... an idiot. Especially if they knew that someone else is going to be hurt for it. You think you're better... then you have a greater responsibility to BE better, and that includes finding a way to object to something without putting other people's lives in danger.

I would say that most of the people who burn qurans (or some equivalent) WANT a reaction; probably want a fight too.

Peace,

tammy

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

He may be an idiot, but he is not responsible for these murders. Ignorant people following an ignorant religion are responsible. It would be the same with Christians if they were ever allowed to have that kind of power again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit