What does your avatar/screen name mean?

by Christ Alone 39 Replies latest jw friends

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

I chose mine to represent what I try to do in this forum. I always try to be respectful and report on what I observe. I try to write all my posts in a way that are intellectually honest, but never contain anything that could be pointed to as proof that I don't agree with the WTS.

Before I hit "submit", I always think...."if someone ever got suspicious of my real identity, printed out every single one of my posts and handed them to the elders, is there anything in that pile that would constitute 'proof positive' apostacy?" So far, I'm fairly confident the answer to that would be "no".

R_O

• JeffT
    JeffT

I couldn't think of anything clever.

It's my real name.

• titch
    titch

Well, I think that I responded to a similar question from someone about a year ago---by whom, I don't remember now! But, I'll try to explain this again. My avatar---well, the avatar is one that was randomly assigned to me by the JWN Website, as still a lot of people have done. (I don't even really know how to insert my own avatar of choosing---there's still a lot things that I don't know about computers & Websites, after all these years!) But, about the "screen name", titch. Well, Titch is in honor of a fellow from the U.K., named Richard. Several years ago, on the Internet, I came across a series of Richard's prolific, highly-detailed stories that he wrote for another Website. Those stories are about a certain genre of human activity that he participated in when he was about 12-13 years old, in the 1960s, with similar young persons of his age. (Nothing immoral or illegal, mind you, just "out-of-the-ordinary") And, that certain genre of human activity has come to be known with the acronym of TUGs. Now, what are TUGs? I cannot reveal what it might be. Some of you might know---if you do, great! Some of you might NOT know, and if that's the case, you'll have to figure it out for yourself. But, yes, this fellow Richard, who wrote those great stories, was given the nick-name, by his relatives, of "Titch." ANd, MY middle name is Richard. Thus, my choice of a "screen name" for this site. Now, if you want a clue as to what "TUGs" are, well I'll give you a couple, with abbreviations for them... Think of the child-hood games of "C&R"

or, "C&I". Sorry to be so vague and clandestine, but I'll leave it up to you from here! It might or might not, leaving you pondering for a while!

Titch.

• shamus100
    shamus100

**** all. ;) Or maybe not...

Send me money and I'll tell you. :D

• sd-7
    sd-7

'sd-7' is a reference to the TV show 'Alias', where the main character works for a group called 'SD-6', which she thought was the CIA, but it turned out they were the bad guys, so she started working with the real CIA to bring them down. Same deal with me, I started as a sort of double agent, but it didn't turn out. Also the 'SD' part means 'the Sector that Doesn't Exist'. Which I think is appropriate for my state of being regarded as a non-person by JWs now.

The avatar is the video game character Mega Man (known as Rock Man in Japan), a household robot who, upon seeing the evil Dr. Wily's robots destroying the city, volunteers to be transformed into a super robot and to fight an endless battle to protect mankind and bring Wily to justice. He often questions the rightness of his actions, fighting against his own kind, and is seeking to discover his own humanity. Though he has help, most of his battles are fought alone. No matter what comes, no matter how endless and hopeless and pointless the fight seems, he never gives up, and hopes that one day...he won't have to fight anymore. I can identify with that feeling.

--sd-7

• Nambo
    Nambo

Back in the early 70s, a bunch of us were into old bikes and also into The Sensational Alex Harvey Band, first concert I went to at Hammersmith Odeon was recorded for their live album.

Alex had a Super Hero called Vambo who was allways, "coming to the rescue".

As a Naval Air Mechanic my rating was NAM 1St Class, and as I was allways coming to the rescue when one of the gang had a problem with their bike, I was nicknamed Nambo.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Shamus 100- I think your name was tongue in monkey cheek; to say they (WT) Sham Us. And you believed the new light BS until you heard it for the 100th time . That was your final shamification And, as a result, you show your distaste by throwing monkey poo at people who try to sham you.

• I Want to Believe
    I Want to Believe

It means I want to believe in something, now that I've lost my faith in everything I once knew, and now I'm out looking for the real truth. Like my avatar, Fox Mulder, I want to believe that "The Truth is Out There," somewhere. And much like on "The X-Files" I'm fighting a vast conspiracy that seeks to keep the truth (or TTATT) hidden from the people.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

My avatar is a scene from the Truman Show when Jim Carrey's character takes his first steps towards freedom as he leaves the dome fake reality he was raised in.

My username is pretty insignificant really.

• Splash
    Splash

My name comes from one of my responsibilities.

I fear that if I say any more I'll be df'd from JWN!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit