Have you met anyone on the Governing Body?

by Christ Alone 68 Replies latest jw friends

• redredrose
    redredrose

I've met three, Herd, Swingle and Lett. Herd was our DO and he was a dynamic speaker.

Met Swingle through his sister who was in our congregation. His sister was very quirky, she just did what she pleased and never asked permission or apologized. (I related with her very well) As I recall the elders tried to steer clear of counseling her because she intimidated them. She and her brother both were fun drinkers.

Interesting story about Lett, Sr. In that congregation my father in law, an elder, became involved in a dispute about building a new hall. Lett, Sr moved in right in the middle and he sided with all the other elders against us. In the end, the whole family and our book study were embroiled in it. When my mother in law and I would go out in service no-one would speak to us and when they made up car groups we were totally ignored, left on our own. There was a special committee set up and I remember sitting in on one meeting with them. My mother in law was talking about the hurt she felt at being treated badly by people she had been close to for 20 years, and she broke down crying (I had never seen her come close to tears before). The elder in charge of the special committee sat right there and accused her of grandstanding, of faking it. We were in absolute shock.

At any rate, the CO threatened to padlock the door, and while he had great sympathy for us he advised us to move to another congregation because these people made it clear they had no intention of ever accepting us again. So we did, but about a year later, Lett Sr came to see me at my place of work and actually wanted to apologize for his part in the dispute, saying he didn't do enough to get all the facts before taking sides. Then he gave his real reason for coming to me, he wanted me to convey his apologies to my father in law! He wasn't man enough to apologize in person, so he came to someone who was a lowly female, someone who wasn't important enough to make him feel shame. I wonder how that type of attitude influenced his son, hmm? Also, when I met Jr. he seemed to be pretty strange.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

He gave a few of us "new boys" a condescending look while riding in an elevator as we talked about the experience of the first night watch at the

Squibb building.

Maybe it was because you were on the elevator! Everyone knows new boys are supposed to take the stairs!!! Gotta save the Watchtower some money for electricity.

• Etude
    Etude

Christ Alone, holy guacamole! I had forgotten about that! Yes, it's true. However, I distinctly rememer the elevator ride. I also remember that when I moved to the Farm in Wallkill Co., I had to get a dispensation to ride the elevator due to a foot injury. Was there a limit in Brooklyn to the floor level or where there some other exceptions? Man, I'm feel nostalgic wishing I could still climb 7 flights of stairs again.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Was Harry King (of "From Door to Door" fame a GB member? I met him in the early 70s when I was a kid.

He visited our congo and did a slide show about his preaching in the far east.

He was inspiring. But of course all politicians inspire the GOFORS. Scratch beneath the skin. Then the pus flows.

Anybody else on Harry King? He spent a few years in Chinese prisons.

HB

• grumblecakes
    grumblecakes

i met guy pierce. he was CO at the time. i found him unsettling. he upset various people in the congregation by stating emphatically if ANYONE partook of the emblems who was not annointed, they would die...even if they are mentally ill, dont speak english and its their first time at the hall, or a small child ect. no exceptions.

he also took the hard line on 'would resurrected ones be able to marry', he said absolutly not. again, needlessly distressing widows in the cong.

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

I met Carey Barber when he was our CO, worked out in service with him before, quite the experience. He loved his beer.

My dad was a doctor and Henshel was a patient of his at one time. He and his wife were very nice, especially his wife.

Of course, both of these guys are dead now.

• smmcroberts
    smmcroberts

Just an aside: in that second video the GB is warning us of the danger of pedophiles on the Internet. Isn't that rather ironic given the fact that you're more likely to encounter one in a Kingdom Hall?

I knew Bill Jackson. He wasn't a bad guy; seemed decent enough. Some of the other members I saw at Bethel gave me looks that would've made milk turn sour.

• MC RubberMallet
    MC RubberMallet

BTW lohengren, Herd never confided in me about what he is/was experiencing.

I am a goofball. When I arrived a Bethel, I pulled pranks and such and had regular meetings with brothers from Bethel Office. I came to be known for these pranks amongst overseers.

I then started getting speechs from older black brothers about being black in bethel. They were explicity honest, and told he now I needed to act if I was to make it, and progress at Bethel.

Once Sam Herd and I started talking, he gave me the speech, with gruesome detail of all his years in the org, even up until he was in Bethel. He dismissed it, because things won't be perfect until new system, he said. He never came out to say anything, I put 2 and 2 together. Then I started to notice what he was talkin about...

• BlindersOff1
  • blondie
    blondie

I met a few, family pull helps.

Fred Franz

Groh

Knorr

Henschel

Gangas

Barr

Barber

Karl Klein

Suiter

Sydlik

Poetzinger

Schroeder

Swingle

All dead.

I was on the way out around 2000 when the new ones were selected.

As my grandfather said of Rutherford, he puts his pants on the same way I do, one leg at a time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit