Have you met anyone on the Governing Body?

by Christ Alone 68 Replies latest jw friends

• james_woods
    james_woods
    The way God speaks to these men is very vague and has not been talked about much. Basically they believe that God's holy spirit (small h small s) guides them. This is not done with actual words. They believe that the holy spirit guides their hearts into what they teach.

You will not get a much more definitive answer if you ask one (which I have done) how they KNOW they are of the annointed.

All very mysterious.

• Fed-up
    Fed-up

I used to go on Bible Studies with Lett when he was our CO and have chatted with Hurd (and his wife of "I don't know, honey, why you 'axin' me" fame) and Losch casually a few time.

The best conversation was with Guy Pierce. According to him, Moab, Utah was named by someone in his family (it pans out if the first Postmaster, William Pierce, was somehow related to him) and we had fished the same areas in central Wyoming. It was a nice chat... Barber and I chatted a few times...again, reminiscing about his time in Wyoming. Barry and I had mutual friends in Japan we'd visit about when we happened to run into each other. The most interesting character was Daniel Sidlik...Conversations with him were like his morning worship programs and a box of chocolates...exactly. He once described to us his sketch bible...the scene was Jacob and the angel having a tussle. He said he sketched scenes like that to make them more real. That same night he approached a friend of mine saying "Hello, very beautiful woman..." It embarrassed her. But he was dead on, she is very beautiful.

It will be interesting to see who is appointed in the future. One brother I know well was "annointed" at Wallkill, while sitting at this desk, three or four years ago. He was in his early 50's at the time.

Before spending much time with WTB&TS higher ups I had sense of awe and expectation about them...After spending time around them I realized they really are just men...It made me rethink the famous Ps 146 3,4: "Do not put YOUR trust in nobles, Nor in the son of earthling man, to whom no salvation belongs. His spirit goes out, he goes back to his ground;In that day his thoughts do perish."

This is probabaly covered somewhere else, but, it really makes me wonder what actually happens to these men when they are "annointed". The brother at Wallkill is a hardworking, seemingly normal, married guy. A company man through and through, but reasonable, dry sense of humor. Very academic when it comes to "theocratic" things. What I'm getting at is that he didn't seem to be mentally/emotionally unbalanced or anything and certainly not the type to seek glory. It's just strange.

In a similar vein, if I remember correctly, Losch started partaking in the 60's and Lett started partaking as a young bethelite, when he worked in the sewing department in Brooklyn making mattresses or something like that. Who knows. At a certain point it just made me very frustrated to think of all the time I'd spent trying to make heads or tails of the Revelation Book...only to find out that at the time at least two Governing Body Memebers didn't fit the criteria for an annointed person...and now it seems none of them do, if you apply Revelation book logic. It seems their annointing was a little bit "apostatic" (or however you change the word "apostate" to a form that fits...haha)

Looking forward to hearing stories from other members...

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Everyone who met Jack Barr seems to have liked him.

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

I met F. Franz a number of times. The most memorable was when I was 17 (summer of 82). Fred was a speaker at our district convention here in Denver. A power couple invited over a few CO and DO couples along with Fred to their home for dinner. My sister was seeing a single DO and I guess I was the chaperone. It was so encouraging to a young girl who wanted to go into missionary work. After dinner we all sang kingdom songs - I just ate it up!

I believe it was the next year (or maybe still 82), our DO friend asked me if I would pick up and deliver the Swingles from their hotel to the district convention arena everyday. I was honored, but have to say, I do not think either one of them bathed much.

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

wasn't it for gerrit lösch and milton henschel speaking at some of the conventions over here, after all those other things they made up, i wouldn't even believe a governing body exists.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

I have met Carey Barber very briefly.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I met Samuel Herd a few times when he was our District Overseer, but never had a substantial conversation with him. Back in the 1970s, I also met William Jackson (died in 1981), but again, no detailed discussions.

• MC RubberMallet
    MC RubberMallet

Met all current members, except new guy.

Splane, Lett, Jackson, Pierce, and Morris were just greets and small talk.

Herd - Cool brother! Very intelligent and hilarious! I know him personally. Very honest about himself. (Notice how in any video he's in, he's always narrating, never "teaching". Even in the JW history DVDs just released, he doesn't have a speaking part like the rest of GB). Coincidence? Nope. And he's aware....

Loesch - One day in dining room in Wallkill, he smiled at me and gave me a bro-hug. Asked how I was and such. He thought I was someone else. LOL. We chatted it up, and he invited me to each lunch since I reminded him so much of another brother. That was a running joke between us since... No exagerration, he is dubbed a human encyclopaedia.

I still cherish the memories. They were all great brothers to me. I'm still baffled...

• MC RubberMallet
    MC RubberMallet

It will be interesting to see who is appointed in the future. One brother I know well was "annointed" at Wallkill, while sitting at this desk, three or four years ago. He was in his early 50's at the time.

This is probabaly covered somewhere else, but, it really makes me wonder what actually happens to these men when they are "annointed". The brother at Wallkill is a hardworking, seemingly normal, married guy. A company man through and through, but reasonable, dry sense of humor. Very academic when it comes to "theocratic" things. What I'm getting at is that he didn't seem to be mentally/emotionally unbalanced or anything and certainly not the type to seek glory. It's just strange.

Ken Cook. I suspected him in an earlier thread. I'd give him 4 years from now, he will be up top.

• Joliette
    Joliette

>>>Herd - Cool brother! Very intelligent and hilarious! I know him personally. Very honest about himself. (Notice how in any video he's in, he's always narrating, never "teaching". Even in the JW history DVDs just released, he doesn't have a speaking part like the rest of GB). Coincidence? Nope. And he's aware....

Never thought about that...he never talks on the DVD.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit