Getting Back In (yes, its for family) What do I Say on 3rd Try?

by Meadow36 70 Replies latest jw friends

• Quendi
    Quendi

There were two reasons I wasted five years seeking reinstatement, 00DAD—and they were wasted years. The elders had convinced me that I was a gross, spiritually sick, helpless individual who desperately needed their help. After all, since I was a gay man, I obviously had no idea of what being “normal” really was and if I accepted their help they would lead me out of darkness. It took me three years to get past those lies and grasp the truth: that I had nothing to be ashamed of. By the way, if I repeated some of the questions I was asked by these guys, your hair would fall out.

The second reason was I wanted to regain access to my friends in the organization. I was fortunate that I had many friends outside the congregation and they were the ones who, by direct and indirect means, showed me that those shunning me, regardless of the reasons they had, weren’t being real friends. It took an additional two years to realize that. Certainly the elders weren’t as they did everything they could to block my return. And while I don’t doubt that some of those who shunned me did so because they thought it was the right thing to do, that didn’t make it so.

Taking hold of those two reasons enabled me to break free and not look back. That is why I wrote what I did to Meadows13. These elders have no real interest in her. They do not love her. That is evident from the questions they have asked which she has shared with us. Loss of family is a serious step that should not be taken lightly; but if it comes down to a choice between them and you, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure which is the wiser one.

Quendi

• jgnat
    jgnat

In this case, Quendi, I believe the family are her own (dependent) children.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Consider the father of Bethany Hughes, who came to a different revelation regarding abstaining from blood, and was promptly disfellowshipped. The wife retained custody and Lawrence was not even notified in time to get to his daughter's bedside before she died.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

In my last meeting to be re-instated they said for next time figure out which person from the bible I'm most like.

Right at that statement they've have personal demeaned you as something to be individually compared to some ancient mystical bullshit story telling.

You have to play their game of power, fear and guilt to get back in, as they say.

You also have to succumb to their corruption and ignorance to whom they've self identified themselves with.

Do really want to do this ??

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Finkelstein: You have to play their game of power, fear and guilt to get back in, as they say.

Do you? Or can you only PRETEND to play their game, and in so doing create one of your own.

Once you know who you are, no one can take that away from you.

I believe ElderElite made a comment to that affect on a recent thread.

00DAD

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Quendi: These elders have no real interest in her. They do not love her. That is evident from the questions they have asked which she has shared with us.

Clearly!

Quendi: Loss of family is a serious step that should not be taken lightly; but if it comes down to a choice between them and you, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure which is the wiser one.

True, but she, or anyone, doesn't have to go down without a fight.

In your long, painful struggle you found yourself. You also found out who your real friends are as well as who are not.

You are my hero and I'm glad to have become one of your friends!

00DAD

• Quendi
    Quendi

First, I want to say that jgnat is right to point out that poor Meadows13 is probably most concerned about her two dependent children. She simply cannot just walk away from them without realizing the terrible harm that could result. This is one of the greatest evils this organization perpetuates. It destroys the families of those who leave. Many families of those in good standing in the organization doubtless have strong love for each other. But I cannot help but wonder to what degree fear of shunning also holds them together.

Thank you, 00DAD, for your kind words. They mean more than you know. My biggest loss upon leaving was that of my best friend. We had been closer than brothers for more than twenty-five years before the poison of the organization came between us. He himself had been disfellowshipped but was striving to get reinstated. Since that was his goal, he shunned me as well, although I have to say it was with great reluctance. Now I am in Alabama and he is in Colorado and I wonder if we’ll ever see or speak to each other again. That loss is just another reason I’ll never set foot inside a kingdom hall again.

Quendi

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

Quendi - five years while three men tried to tell you you could be a person different from who you were born to be. Wow. Thank you for sharing - it helps reinforce the blindness under which judicial committees operate.

Fear of shunning is definately at the heart for many who have doubts, even if they don't realize it on a conscious level. I look at members of my family - they are so intertwined with the religion - friends, work, support systems. If they were to leave they would be completely bereft. They'd have me, I guess, but they have learned to see me as an evil apostate. So destructive.

I do hope Meadow can draw strength from knowing that so many of us share her pain and have successfully escaped the cult.

• Meadow36
    Meadow36

I want to that you all again for your concern and honesty. I didn't realize how many there were like me who would grasp the nuances of the path I'm taking - the kids, the family, the shunning, just the whole concept of turning to the dark side and playing a part to get back in. Oh and the difficulty of telling my AA sponsor the truth about the situation out of fear of bringing reproach OJN. I wish this was like a private chat room or something so I could be more specific because it feels so good to be truely understood, but I'm paranoid that maybe someone from my cong. is spying on me or something...I wonder if anyone has gotten in trouble and busted participating here?? Quendi, thank you for sharing that. I have always wondered...what could the elders POSSIBLY say to someone who is gay (like in a JC setting)? Tell them to pray more or "try harder" to change who they are attracted to? Could any amount of scripture reading make me suddenly attracted to women? Or them to each other? We are who we are - it must have been torture; praying to Jehovah to change you, waiting for a miracle. I am drawing strength from you - all of you. Wow it just dawned on me that, had they re-instated me last week I wouldn't have found my way here.

Well, tomorrow's Sunday - I have some new pantyhose, a new pack of neon highlighters, the current WT and a plan. Wish me LUCK.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Good luck Meadow36

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit