Can someone recommend me a history book?

by slimboyfat 45 Replies latest jw friends

• talesin
    talesin

Historical fiction ... sometimes it's the best...

like, The Idiot, by Dostoyevsky, or even Dr. Zhivago, the book ..

Historical fiction can be very enlightening.

:)

• TheListener
    TheListener

Slimboyfat,

You have a PM

• JeffT
    JeffT

The Third Reich trilogy by Richard Evans is better that Shirer's book, although they form a seriously long read read. The three are "The Coming of the Third Reich" "The Third Reich in Power" and "The Third Reich at War."

• Nambo
    Nambo

"I'm glad to see someone else here on the board feels deep sorrow at what the Native Americans suffered." Wrote Flipper

I too feel deep sorry indeed at what the Native Americans suffered, as with all Western ethnic cleansing, the populous are told slanderous lies so the victims can be demonised with the result the ruling elite gets the support of the gullible.

My own people, the Prussians were pretty much wiped off the face of the Earth by the Alies, especially by the Russians, all our heritage was destroyed, even to the extent our graveyards were demolished, then to top it all, we lost our country forever, given to Poland, so I can really feel the empathy for folk as yourself, and the Palestianians at the moment who are going through the same process.

• james_woods
    james_woods

This is not a political thread, Nambo - it is a thread about historical books.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Many good suggestions here, and I would add James Burke's Connections video series, of which there was an original and several follow up ones.

If you are inclined to read ebooks, here is Outline of History, for free!

http://archive.org/details/OutlineOfHistory

• flipper
    flipper

PANHANDLEGIRL- I sent you a PM just now and my lyrics to the " Our Native Brothers & Sisters " song ! Take care

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

I read a book YEARS ago, that was made up of eyewitness accounts, diaries, etc.

I have looked for it since,........I think it might be Eyewitness to History................or maybe just similar.

Also, "How the Irish Saved Civilization"

• Berengaria
    Berengaria
    I would add James Burke's Connections video series
    Kurt I love this series!!! I have recently acquired access to several episodes.
  • panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

Flipper, got your lyrics. Sent you a reply, hope you get it. I've never sent one on here before

PHG.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit