Can someone recommend me a history book?

by slimboyfat 45 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Not on a specific subject, just in general. History is my favourite subject and I'd like to maybe try something I wouldn't normally pick up. Has anyone read any really good history books recently they would recommend?

• cog_survivor
    cog_survivor

Have you read "Lies My Teacher Told Me"? It's about the historical myths that permeate the american culture.

"Guns, Germs, and Steel" is another one I enjoyed. This is about both the develoments and needed crisis/elements required for a civilization to progress.

"Epidemic: 1914" Not sure I got the title of that correct but it was about the great flu pandemic that broke out during WWI

Anything by Thomas Cahill.

• iamwhoiam
    iamwhoiam

a people's history of the united states by Howard Zinn

• Sulla
    Sulla

The Rise and Fall of Ancient Egypt, Toby Wilkinson. Really interesting history of a people everyone thinks they know. Plus, the sheer length of time Egypt really mattered -- and has a history -- is amazing. I'm not really in to Egypt normally, but this book changed that.

• sir82
    sir82

"11th Hour 11th day 11th Month" by Joseph Persico. Of course if covers the last few days of WWI but also gives one of the best overviews of the whole war I've read.

"The Imperial Cruise" by James Bradley. If you want to understand the depth of American racism (not just against blacks) this is a good place to start.

Anything by Barbara Tuchman.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I have read two books by Tom Holland recently, they are well written, very readable, and deal with areas of History that I was not too familiar with, they were very enlightening.

One was concerning the history before and during the birth and early years of Islam, the other was concerning the time of the first Millenium (1,000 AD) so kind of the birth of Christendom. I shall read more by him when I get through some books lent to me by another history freak friend of mine.

Quite contentious but true is his exposure of how the early history of Islam and the writing of the Quran are mired in as much doubt as the early Christian writings and history, followers of Islam are not too pleased with Tom for pointing these facts out.

• Cthulhu
    Cthulhu

Check out John Taylor Gatto's books on the history of American public education.

• Cthulhu
    Cthulhu

"You know, there is a really great history book that most people have in their own homes, but have never read with full understanding. It's called The Bible. I have a copy here, along with a helpful aid to understanding key points in The Bible called What Does the Bible Really Teach? I think you'll find it interesting. If you would like, you may make a small donation to help with the costs associated with printing and distribution of such materials. I can leave a copy with you and arrange to come back at a later time that is convenient for you and we can discuss the first chapter.

• tootired2care
    tootired2care
    Will Durant - Story Of Civilization, great stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Story_of_Civilization

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

I have this book, although I've never finished it. Matter fact, I haven't even finished half of the book as life's demands won't allow it. It does however take the reader deep into the history of that problematic area going as far back as the Ottomon Empire's involvement. It includes the various political movements and nations which vied for control over that area and how those disputes and conquests lead to world wars and even the disputes in modern times and NATO.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit