Can someone recommend me a history book?

by slimboyfat 45 Replies latest jw friends

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

SLIMBOYFAT- I wholeheartedly recommend reading " Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee " by Dee Brown. A very thorough and accurate description of the REAL truth of how the Native American people were pushed, ran off, annihilated off of the U.S. continent and the control that was put on all the tribes by our own dearly beloved American government in the 1800's. Amazing read.

Also another recent book titled, " Empire of the Summer Moon " by S.C. Gwynne dated 2010 a New York Times bestseller describes the history of the Commanche tribes and their chief Quanah Parker and how the Commanche tribes halted the U.S. government or at least DELAYED the takeover by 40 to 60 years due to their war strategies and bravery and daring to stand up to the U.S.

Another book dealing with the Native indian tribes of Eastern U.S. was a book titled " Tecumseh - A Life " by John Sugden which goes into great detail not only about the Shawnee tribes but all the tribes going back to the 1700's and before regarding what Native American life was like before the Europeans came and the book continues through the battle of 1812 and beyond in how Tecumseh the Shawnee chief tried to unite ALL the Indian tribes to stem the tide of oncoming White men and battle the U.S. to prevent them from pushing all the tribes off of their lands. It was a fascinating read.

I'm part Native American , one reason I take a great interest in this history - and believe me- the REAL Native American history did NOT go down like they taught us all in elementary school. It was much uglier . The fact that white people can even CALL this United States the " home of the free and land of the brave " is an absolute joke that's not the least bit funny. People were shoved, murdered, and families raped to make way for the people from England and Europe. These books will be quite an eye opener believe me. I saw a lot of similarities to how the WT society controls, dominates, and rewrites THEIR history like American politicians rewrote American history. Not accurate at all. Peace out, Mr. Flipper

Flipper, I read "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee" back in the 70s. Believe it or not, I saw that book quoted in the WT and went out and bought it. It is a sad account of how terrible the US treated the Indians.It made me sick

to see how the Indians were treated. I also just bought "Empire of the Summer Moon." I haven't read it yet. I believe that Quanah Parker lived around the same place that I grew up at. My great-grandfather was captured by

the Commanches when he was 7 years old and lived with them until he was 17, at which time he escaped and joined the Civil War. I, too, am interested in Indian history. I agree with your view of how the US has mistreated

the REAL Americans. I live in a log cabin and have named my place "End of the Trail" in honor of the Indians that walked "The Trail of Tears" from the Eastern US to Oklahoma. I have two bronze scuptures of the "Trail of

Tears" at the entrance to my driveway. The American Indians were truly a brave nation IMO, they were just out-numbered and out-gunned. Too bad the US never kept their part of the treaties they made with the Indians.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William Shirer

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

I'm going to bookmark this thread. There are so many good recommendations that I want to read them all.

PHG.

• flipper
    flipper

PANHANDLEGIRL- I'm glad to see someone else here on the board feels deep sorrow at what the Native Americans suffered. I agree " Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee " brought tears to my eyes as well. I think you'll really enjoy " Empire of the Summer Moon ", it was a very interesting read, very informative and educational. I never realized just how prominent and powerful a tribe the Commanches were in the Southwest until reading this book. Wow ! Your great grandfather was captured by Commanches and lived with them for 10 years ? Incredible ! Yeah, so I bet this book will REALLY appeal to you because it does talk about white captives a lot. How honorable of you to have two bronze statues of the " trail of tears " at your driveway. I can tell you truly get it and understand deeply what the Indians suffered. You are right- the Indians were outmanned and outgunned , unfortunately they didn't stand a chance once the Americans had cannons, and howitzers, and gatling guns. The military establishment of the U.S. devastated them. Dishonest politicians and landholders not keeping the treaties also did them in indeed.

I have actually written a song commemorating what the Native Americans went through called " Our Native Brothers and Sisters " . Perhaps I'll put it on youtube soon or write the lyrics on a thread sometime. Or if you'd like I could PM you the lyrics to my song if you're interested ? Take care of yourself , thanks for caring for the human race my friend, we need more folks like you ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• james_woods
    james_woods

Two very classic WW2 histories:

Now It Can Be Told - Leslie R. Groves - a history of the Manhatten Project (WW2 Atomic Bomb) by the General who ran the project.

Enemy At The Gates - a history of the battle of Stalingrad by a great American historian, William Craig. He makes you feel like you are really there - it is on a par with Das Boot (The Boat).

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

Flipper, I would love to have the lyrics to your song. I love music. I grew up in the Texas Panhandle and raised my children in the Oklahoma Panhandle, thus the name Panhandlegirl. When I used to drive to Amarillo, TX, I would

always imagine seeing the Indians and the Comancheros riding on their horses on the plains alongside the highway (I'm a little bit crazy and a little bit rock 'n roll). That drive from the OK Panhandle to Amarillo is a beautiful drive and

has the most beautiful sunsets you have ever seen. I don't want to get off topic so that's all I will write on the subject. I look forward to reading your song lyrics.

PHG.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I second anything by Barbara Tuchman. I have enjoyed her books often. I also recommend "Lies My Teacher Told Me." What an interesting book!

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

The Decline of the West by Oswald Spengler

LRG

• mamamo
    mamamo

A History of the World in Six Glasses by Tom Standage. My son had to read it last year for World History AP. I read it, too. I suggest you have each one of the glasses, beer, wine, brandy, whiskey or rum, tea, coffee and Coca Cola.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I doubt if this is readily available in hardcover - I found one at an antique store in Lyons Colorado when we were up at the cabin this summer, and it was $50.00 - but it is quite excellent.

U-Boat War by Lothar-Gunther Buchheim (author of The Boat). This is a photo album (with commentary) of his actual WW2 photos from tours of duty on VII-B U-Boats. He also explains which boat and which captains were responsible for the various scenes in The Boat.

Highly recommended.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit