Can someone recommend me a history book?

by slimboyfat 45 Replies latest jw friends

• JeffT
    JeffT

I can't even begin to think of them all, I'm a major history buff.

"Undaunted Courage" by Stephen Ambrose (about Lewis and Clark). Actually just about anything by Ambrose is worth reading

"American Creation" and "Founding Brothers" by Joseph Ellis

"The Summer of 1787" by David O Stewart

Anything by Stephen Sears, he's written some good stuff about the Civil War

"Europe's Last Summer" by David Fromkin

Colin Powell's autobiography

There are a couple of collections called "What If?" that are explorations of things that could have happened but didn't.

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

"History of the World" is a good book. "The Story of Britain by Rebecca Fraser is an excellent book. I also love history. There are so many books and so little time.

PHG.

• Glander
    Glander

Best seller David McCullough writes very readable history. From the founding fathers to recent presidents, etc. Google him and look at his list.

Also, I read US Grants memoirs last year and if you are interested in the Civil War it is a must read.

• Nambo
    Nambo

Gruesome Harvest by Ralph Franklin Keeling

A 1947 account of the Wests "Morganthau Plan", the deliberate attempt by the Victorious western powers to kill every single German man, woman and child by starvation, after the Second World War had ended.

It was only on realising the oppurtunity open to Communism to look like the good guys that made the allies turn completely around and impliment the Marshall Plan, but not after between 8 and 15 million civillians had been murdered.

Hitler wasnt the only one to have a Holocaust.

A later book compiled after the opening of the Russian archieves contains more along the lines of collaborating facts and figures. Crimes and Mercies by James Bacque

• jgnat
    jgnat

The Fate of Africa: A History of Fifty Years of Independence by Martin Meredith

Diary of a Wandering Man by Louis L'Amour

How the Scots Invented Canada by Ken McGoogan

• DarioKehl
    DarioKehl

I highly recommend the Ancient World podcast. It's only a few episodes, but this guy does a great job!

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

I enjoyed reading "The Outline of History" by H. G. Wells. I found his style enjoyable.

• ziddina
    ziddina

"recommend me a history book..."

My mind reels...

How about the subject of the Roman Empire?

How about the efforts of the Carthaginian general, Hannibal, to conquer Rome? Here's another list - some of the books are about the historical Hannibal:

How about the Punic Wars?

How about the history of Greece?

How about the history of the British Isles? Scotland?? Wales?? Ireland??? The Aztecs?? The Mayans?? The Sumerians??

The books available are absolutely endless.

• flipper
    flipper

SLIMBOYFAT- I wholeheartedly recommend reading " Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee " by Dee Brown. A very thorough and accurate description of the REAL truth of how the Native American people were pushed, ran off, annihilated off of the U.S. continent and the control that was put on all the tribes by our own dearly beloved American government in the 1800's. Amazing read.

Also another recent book titled, " Empire of the Summer Moon " by S.C. Gwynne dated 2010 a New York Times bestseller describes the history of the Commanche tribes and their chief Quanah Parker and how the Commanche tribes halted the U.S. government or at least DELAYED the takeover by 40 to 60 years due to their war strategies and bravery and daring to stand up to the U.S.

Another book dealing with the Native indian tribes of Eastern U.S. was a book titled " Tecumseh - A Life " by John Sugden which goes into great detail not only about the Shawnee tribes but all the tribes going back to the 1700's and before regarding what Native American life was like before the Europeans came and the book continues through the battle of 1812 and beyond in how Tecumseh the Shawnee chief tried to unite ALL the Indian tribes to stem the tide of oncoming White men and battle the U.S. to prevent them from pushing all the tribes off of their lands. It was a fascinating read.

I'm part Native American , one reason I take a great interest in this history - and believe me- the REAL Native American history did NOT go down like they taught us all in elementary school. It was much uglier . The fact that white people can even CALL this United States the " home of the free and land of the brave " is an absolute joke that's not the least bit funny. People were shoved, murdered, and families raped to make way for the people from England and Europe. These books will be quite an eye opener believe me. I saw a lot of similarities to how the WT society controls, dominates, and rewrites THEIR history like American politicians rewrote American history. Not accurate at all

• cofty
    cofty

Scotland, The Story of a Nation - Magnus Magnusson

Revolution 1989, The Fall of The Soviet Empire - Victor Sebestyen

In Europe, Travels Through The Twentieth Century - Geert Mak

The Great War for Civilisation - Robert Fisk

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit