The Decline of Elders and Ministerial Servants

by Londo111 61 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Quendi
    Quendi

They don’t have enough elders and ministerial servants because they don’t actively recruit the right kind of men in the first place. They don’t give them any kind of real training for the job. They play congregation politics with recommendations and appointments. They don’t listen to legitimate concerns or take counsel very well. They only want “company” men and “yes” men. Now the WTS complains about the lack of elders! If the Society wants to know the real reason for this lack, it only has to look in the mirror.

The arrangement was never a good one because there was no real effort to do things according to the first century model. Those congregations appointed their own officers. They didn’t send recommendations to some central authority in Jerusalem or anywhere else and then waited for approval. Think how impractical that would have been given the speed of first century travel and communication. Instead, a congregation selected from among themselves those men who were loved, respected, and trusted. In that way, the best teachers and shepherds held positions of responsibility and even then there were still problems as can be seen by reading the New Testament. But at least everyone in the congregation—including women—had a say in who served.

Since the WTS is really interested only in controlling others, it is no wonder that there is a shortage of men serving as elders and ministerial servants. And we have all seen men who had no business being entrusted with any kind of serious responsibility holding offices and privileges for which they were grossly unqualified. But then the old adage “as ye sow, so shall ye reap” is certainly manifest in the elder arrangement nowadays.

Quendi

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Do you mean in the United States, because 90,000 elders worldwide would be fewer than 1 per congregation.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

@ Quendi,

Amen bro!! My KH has not had an appointment in 6 years. Of the appointments 6 years ago, only one out of 6 brothers was unrelated to an Elder. I was recently detained in investigatory proceedingd for daring to question the validity of the claim that the Holy Spirit does the appointing. We went around and around, they took scriptures out of context and I read quotes from past Watchtower articles. In the end I was told that if the brothers were discouraged it was their own fault. Also, anyone who expects to be appointed must realize that what they do publicly, in view of the " friends " is most important, because we lead them, not the other way around.. I kid you not, widows and orphans do not matter, only numbers and what men see. You are right, you reap what you sow. Now they have the gall to ask for me to reach out. My prediction is that anyone appointed will be newer converts and kids in their 20's as servants. Anyone older is to wise to whats going on, or too old to be of use as a " yes " man. The WTBTS has shot themselves in the foot with another un-scriptural bone-headed corporate policy.

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

About 10 years back my father stepped down from being an elder because he felt he was getting too old and tired. What do they do a couple of years ago? Reappoint him. I was so angry! They told him how much they needed him and he agreed to the position. My father is well into his 80's, he shakes like a leaf, is skin and bones, has such a soft voice one can hardly hear him. They assigned him a public talk a few months ago, I did not go, but my other siblings did. My sister said he sounded like a retard. He was misquoting, getting lost, mumbling and of course shaking tremendously.

I love my father with all my heart. He belongs on a sofa with good movie and a martini, not this crap.

• steve2
    steve2

magwitch - that sounds terrible and reveals their desperation. You speak such good sense about what your father really needs at this time of his life.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

I love the intelligent information mixed with humor!

Keep it coming.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Slimboyfat: 90000 was a number I pulled from the air...a vague memory. It might not be an accurate memory...

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

Magwitch, your story reminds me of a brother in a hall I used to go to. My family would switch to another cong when we learned that this brother was giving a public talk. He misquoted information right and left. And his talks were sleepers. All I could remember about his talks were how bad they were. Yes at one time this brother had his vitality and sound mind, but does not qualify him when he is elderly and forgets more than he remembers. Such brothers should never be shepherds of the congregation.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The 90,000 and 60,000 figures would make sense for the United States. Since there are 13,000 congregations in the United States it would mean a drop from 7 elders per congregation to 4 and a half elders per congregation on average.

Wasn't there a letter to elders a year or so ago that instructed to lower the standards for appointing elders and servants? I am sure I remember reading that.

They sure have a big problem getting enough elders and servants these days, no doubt about it.

• moshe
    moshe

Some brothers have all the good fortune-

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit