The Decline of Elders and Ministerial Servants

by Londo111 61 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Londo111
    Londo111

I seem to remember somebody saying that since the 90's the number of Elders has declined from 90000 to 60000. Does anybody have any hard figures regarding this?

The Organization is desperate for "qualified" men. But their standards are much too high, especially the monthly field service hour requirements tagged on to endless meetings and congregational busywork. Elders of conscious who see the politics, the ruthless effects that judicial committees have on people's lives, the procedures that go beyond what is written in the Bible sometimes step down.

A few years ago, before I awakened, I overheard one elder talking to another saying, "The brothers are just not stepping up to the plate." Afterward, I've heard this expression several times. If this truly were God's Organization and the last days truly started in 1914, Psalms 110:1-3 would guarantee there would be no shortage, rather " Your people will offer themselves willingly on the day of your military force" and " You have your company of young men just like dewdrops ". Indeed, Holy Spirit would empower these men to overcome whatever was holding them back to qualify them. How could the most powerful force in the universe fail to work on hearts and minds?

But objectively, those who have awakened know, the leaves of the tree are still green, but the rot has begun from within the tree. Unless the Organization lessens the heavy burdens it has put on its adherents, the number of Elders will keep declining until there is a breaking point. And from where will the future circuit and district overseers come?

Today, elders are mikerunners. Tomorrow, a few decades from now they will be a memory.

• blondie
    blondie

About 10 years ago the CO came through and said that they were losing 25% of the elders every year (some due to death of course as elders are an aging population and fewer young jws stay or "reach out").

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

At our District Convention one of the speakers walked to the podium with a white rectangular sign about 5 foot long with a black and bolded six digit number that I can't recall. He stated that the number was the amount of total congregations in JEhovah's organization. He then went on to say that the number itself was Jehovah's invitation and request for assistance in caring for the sheep within the congregations. By his tone he made no bones that the request was more than an invitation, but more like a plea. A brother I'm close with whom I talked with later on said anyone reaching out for that has no idea what they're getting into. Later on I talked with another brother who had previously relayed to me about a Ministerial Servant who's recomendation was put down by the Circuit Overseer and some cronies on the elder body who previously went along with supporting the young man, only to cave in and not support the reccomendation. The brother told me at the convention that in hindsight he's glad the young man will remain a Ministerial Servant so he doesn't have to deal with the nonsense that comes with the territory of being an elder. Basically the brother can maintain happiness.

I think for many young brothers who were born into the religion, they can see all the stress and agrivation that their fathers and uncles went through and said to themselves, "not for me." It makes me think of that verse in Proverbs about the one shrewd enough to see the calamity ahead but the inexperienced will have to suffer the consequences.

• Gayle
  • St George of England
    St George of England

They really are desparate for brothers to fill these jobs such that many current appointments are a joke. Many of the recent appointments I know would never have been considered just a few years ago. Several MS's that have been appointed recently are more of a liability than a help.

George

• gymbob
    gymbob

Why do you think almost every church PAYS for a pastor/preacher, etc? It's a job. It takes a lot of time. And like most jobs, it's a pain in the a**!

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition
    Why do you think almost every church PAYS for a pastor/preacher, etc? It's a job. It takes a lot of time. And like most jobs, it's a pain in the a**!

• RubaDub
    RubaDub
    It takes a lot of time. And like most jobs, it's a pain in the a**!

Yes, on the NBC Special on Mormons last week, I learned that they are not paid either but only serve in the elder-like positions for 5 years.

Rub a Dub

• Sulla
    Sulla

Interesting to observe that the number of Elders is decreasing while the number of Anointed is increasing. That seems a little odd.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    Interesting to observe that the number of Elders is decreasing while the number of Anointed is increasing. That seems a little odd...Sula

More Odd..

The WBT$ claims they don`t know how many JW`s claim to be Annointed..

Although..

They do Keep Track of how many JW Pedophiles they have..

We have to Beat the Catholics at Something!..

............................ ...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit