"In the beginning, God created the Heavens and the Earth . ."

by nicolaou 118 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• fukitol
    fukitol

Christians get around this by saying God exists "outside of time and space". Which means he is utterly irrelevant, may as well not exist at all lol. Which is basically why Buddhism says forget about metaphysical pontifications regarding God's existence or not. He's clearly buggered off to the other end of the Universe, if he is even in the Universe in the first place.

A totally aloof and non-intervening God is for all intents and purposes no God at all.

• cofty
    cofty
    It is common for theists to retreat into deism when faced with difficult questions.
  • fukitol
    fukitol

Nicolau, if you prefer hearing the answer to your question from someone with faith you could try reading Peter Kreeft's articles. He's a well known Christian philosopher. Website here:

http://www.peterkreeft.com/topics-more/20_arguments-gods-existence.htm

• fukitol
    fukitol

It is common for theists to retreat into deism when faced with difficult questions.

Exactly cofty. And ultimately deism is meaningless, hollow. It's a belief in a distant, non-intervening God; one may as well believe in no God at all. (makes more sense to believe in ancient aliens frankly lol).

• prologos
    prologos

The comfort zone for atheists would be increased if it is certain that there is nothing, no feature, outside the observable universe. God then would have to be here with us in our location, and he can't located. But the "where" question is broader if we are to accept the theorists that work with the dark energy of the void, energy that becomes part of the universe as it expands, the theory that there are other universes, in other space than ours, or the hyperspace that we are expanding into , moving into the future too.

The deist's god is as useful/ useless as your unknown uncle that left you the millions.

• prologos
    prologos

Nic, The question WHERE this hypothetical benefactor (god) lived, before he amassed his fortune might be interesting. More pragmatic kins, researchers. want to know " How does this work, how was this done, how can I use that clever method, manipulate that amazing PROCESS myself?

For the workers on Artificially Intelligent machines, this lesson from the deist's god,: hide well WHERE yourselves are, in a domain inaccessible machine-wise, and absolutely limit the shelf life of your creation.

• cofty
    cofty

prologos - How does it help to muddle up a vague concept of "god" with a poor grasp of theoretical physics? By dumping the concept of god you lose precisely nothing.

• prologos
    prologos

to quote: "define nothing"-- how are thinly veiled ad hominem remarks helpful, compared to refuting specific assertions?

The best we can do (if the universe is created) to get a picture of the creator is, to exame the natural works, the tracks the train left behind, the record.

One lesson perhaps, that there is nobility in anonymous generosity, at the scale of 46 billion + light years, the progress in the unbroken process in the progression of evolving life.

Where does the whereabouts of god fit in?

• Viviane
    Viviane
    The comfort zone for atheists would be increased if it is certain that there is nothing, no feature, outside the observable universe.

You don't speak for atheists and have no idea what their, each being unique individuals, comfort zone is.

But the "where" question is broader if we are to accept the theorists that work with the dark energy of the void, energy that becomes part of the universe as it expands, the theory that there are other universes, in other space than ours, or the hyperspace that we are expanding into , moving into the future too.

That doesn't even begin to approach the concept of making sense.

to quote: "define nothing"-- how are thinly veiled ad hominem remarks helpful, compared to refuting specific assertions?

Thinly veiled? Interesting concept. Irrelevant and untrue, but interesting.

You've mentioned nothing. Please define that and give an example of "nothing".

• DJS
    DJS
    The comfort zone for atheists would be increased if it is certain that there is nothing, no feature, outside the observable universe.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away I decided to live an evidence based life, which means that feelings, desires, wishes, wants and comfort zones would no longer play a major role in any decision I made and my 'beliefs' would be based on evidence. After decades of evaluation I determined there is no evidence for god. If that changes, I will believe. It is really THAT simple for me.

Why do theists so often transfer their own irrational, emotional, reactionary feelings, thoughts and beliefs onto atheists? We do not think like you; I'm not an entrenched atheist with my angry fist in the air at god who is hoping she is dead or gone and that my atheism can be proven 'right' as if it were some religion. All I care about is the evidence, and I would surmise that most atheists are like that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit