Brazil. JWs up 26% in 10 Years

by Joker10 126 Replies latest jw friends

• cedars
    cedars

Well since the population of China accounts for more than one seventh of the world's population, it's not that easy to ignore it!

Cedars

• iamwhoiam
    iamwhoiam

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics" - British prime minister Benjamin Disraeli, 1749

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

This is true.

On the other hand reports from banned countries have been said to be incomplete. For decades it was not known how many Witnesses were in Cuba for example, then when they emerged from under ban it turned out there were nearly 100,000 Witnesses there.

• cedars
    cedars

slimboyfat

On the other hand reports from banned countries have been said to be incomplete. For decades it was not known how many Witnesses were in Cuba for example, then when they emerged from under ban it turned out there were nearly 100,000 Witnesses there.

Regardless of JW folklore, there's no reason I can think of for the Society to deliberately understate the "30 Other Lands" figure quoted in the Worldwide Report.

Cedars

• sir82
    sir82
    there's no reason I can think of for the Society to deliberately understate the "30 Other Lands" figure quoted in the Worldwide Report.

Well the first thing that pops into mind is, "theocratic warfare", in the sense of what was stated when the term was introduced in the 1950's.

If the count is understated, the opposing authorities might think there is little or no need to step up their efforts. I.e., by misleading the authorities (who, if they are really interested in stopping the work of JWs, will probably read at least the statistics in the yearbook) they might be making life easier for the JWs in those countries.

That said, I don't think they purposely understate the count. They probably believe they are "accountable to Jehovah" for being as accurate as possible and that would trump any concerns for individuals under ban.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I didn't have in mind that they would deliberately understate it. I merely pointed out that when the ban was lifted in Cuba there were more Witnesses there than might be expected.

• therevealer
    therevealer

However, not everyone feels the way you do. In
    fact, those who truly make the Bible their guide are
    a minority-only about 0.1 percent of the earth's
    population.

This is a qoute from the latest examining the scriptures. It is the figure supplied by the spirit annointed and appointed body that Jesus insists (according to them) 7,000,000,000 must "get to know" so as to have a chance to survive the coming tribulation.

Clearly they are a dillusional group of men (the governing body and their co-horts) at best, or a group of power hungry men satiating their lust at all cost to those trapped in the web.

So my question is, who cares how much their numbers jump "somewhere" by "some percent". They still represent an insignificant number who the majority of earth's population either don't know about or care about.

Far more significant the harm that they cause to the families that are "stuck in" than the good that they provide in any way to the general populace of the world.

Just my thoughts!!!

• therevealer
    therevealer

What happened - That killed the thread??

• steve2
    steve2
    So my question is, who cares how much their numbers jump "somewhere" by "some percent". They still represent an insignificant number who the majority of earth's population either don't know about or care about.

Very relevant points therevealer. There's no denying the huge impact the Watchtower has had on us as individuals and families yet the important perspective is its an incredibly small religion in worldwide terms, hardly warranting even a footnote in many countries' overviews of religions of note.

BTW, I don't think you killed the thread - sometimes people gotta sleep (and work).

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Work? Wash your mouth out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit