Unconditional Love-How would you describe it?

by rip van winkle 239 Replies latest members private

• ziddina
    ziddina

It's baaaa - aaaaaaccccckkkkkk......

• still thinking
    still thinking

LOL....Love conquers all zid....hee hee

*not really, but I had to say it*

• ziddina
    ziddina

I just found this video on YouTube - I think the video-maker makes some valid points about the concepts of love and religion...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX85kL0BmQs

• still thinking
    still thinking

I just watched that video zid...and I think I missed the point. Was it just making a point about morals and religion? He seemed to talk a bit about how behaviours have evolved to benefit us. But I think I missed what you are trying to convey with that particular video....

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

watched a powerful drama this week - it was called A Mother's Son. There is a review in the Telegraph http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/9520992/A-Mothers-Son-ITV1-review.html

If you are intending to watch this drama then please don't read on.

in the drama the mother suspects that her son has raped and killed a teenager (he is a teenager himself - they are both more or less the same age). She (the mother) wrestles with herself and her love for him as the growing horror dawns that she must either keep quiet or call the police. Her impulse is to protect him and keep quiet despite evidence piling up. Then at the end when she does what she considers the right thing to do - and he despairingly asks her if she will still love him, she assures him that she always will. this to me is unconditional love in action.

edit: the above isn't the only angle that love is explored from as family love is also put to the test. The boy's step dad must confront how far his love for his wife will go. He finds he must protect his own children from a former marriage first but he still loves his new wife and her children.

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "......and I think I missed the point. Was it just making a point about morals and religion? He seemed to talk a bit about how behaviours have evolved to benefit us. But I think I missed what you are trying to convey with that particular video......." Still Thinking, page 12

I was struck by the very first point that he made - that "people love us more when we're 'good' and less when we're 'bad'"...

Of course, the distinctions between "good" and "bad" can get a bit fuzzy at times...

It bears on my point that "unconditional" love cannot exist in the real world, because real world conditions are always affecting our love. Throughout the video, he points out that we survive better if we conform to group expectations, because that brings more 'love' our way.

Which is most definitely NOT "unconditional" love.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Oh...I see what you are saying now zid...however....I love my kids regardless of if they have been good or bad. So does Santa...LOL

• ziddina
    ziddina

Phew!

At least you understand what I'm saying!!!

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Some TRUTHS I have come to believe. I was not intending to resurrect this thread, although I felt it was a good topic. But, for the moment, this is where I feel it is right to express these thoughts:

~~~Everyone wants to be LOVED and everyone wants to be FORGIVEN.

TRUST is earned- it's not a given~~~

If there is someone in your life that you LOVE- tell them before it's too late.

If there is someone in your life that you can FORGIVE-tell them before it's too late.

If there is someone in your life that needs a FRIEND- be a friend.

~~~

There are many people here that I admire and choose to talk to on this site. There is good and bad in life. To those I've told I like or admire or they made me think or made me smile or made me angry or made me cry or made me laugh- I have told the TRUTH.

(I would name names- but you all know who you are.)

I am old and getting older every second (AS ARE ALL OF YOU!!!) Time is precious! There is NO EVERLASTING LIFE in view!!! Don't wait before it's too late!!!

Have your say. Be respectful. Be kind. Play Fair.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• still thinking
    still thinking

If there is someone in your life that you LOVE- tell them before it's too late.

If there is someone in your life that you can FORGIVE-tell them before it's too late.

If there is someone in your life that needs a FRIEND- be a friend.

Amen to that Rip....Amen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit