Just In: Andrea Yates To Be Executed

by Candle 31 Replies latest jw friends

• KistByQpid
    KistByQpid

anewperson,

...don't forget Christian Longo. Who right before Christmas, killed his wife and 3 small children and dumped them at two different locations on the Oregon Coast.

• anewperson
    anewperson

True, Kist. Also that reminds me that Kent Steinhaug has said that Marc Dutroux was also a JW though I don't think he (Kent) ever posted that on his observer.org website. Dutroux was a serial killer and pedophile I believe in Belgium. His deeds are regarded the worst crimes in Belgium's entire history. We seem to be on a roll tonight.

• alamb
    alamb

Locally a few years back a woman started studying with the JW's and when she learned of the paradise awaiting them, she stabbed her son to death because he was autistic and she told the newspaper he would get a better life after the resurrection.
    She continued studying, is in prison, and got baptized there. She is now a 'sister'.
    How's that?

• larc
    larc

Maybe I missed something here, but what does the fact that the woman's husband had some connection with the Witnesses have to do with it?

• Simon
    Simon

I may be a bit ignorant but it seems to me that people always claim mental illness / insanity caused the crimes and not them. They somehow have the sense to want to defend themselves and claim innocence whereas I believe any normal person would not want to live with what they had done.

In a way, any extreme crime would excuse itself: to do something like this you have to be mentally ill therefore you can't be guilty. The act itself becomes proof of your deranged state.

I don't care whether she was ill or not and think she should pay the price no matter what.

• its_my_life2001ca
    its_my_life2001ca

Again I ask, where did people get it that they were witnesses? Someone mentionned the Larry King show but that was Susan Smith's husband who was interviewed on it last week who said he was no longer a witness. I was under the impression they were involved with a fundalmentalist group and even the references Andrea made concerning the fate of her children not going to hell don't jive with the witness teachings. I'm not standing up for the witnesses as I'm no longer one but I do get tired sometimes of the mob mentality and people starting rumours. We were lied to once and that's why we're out of the Borg. Let's not make the same mistake and mislead others.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

You can make the argument Ted Bundy was insane, as well as Hitler, or any other serial killer.

Me? I don't care if they're insane, retarded, or just plain pathological. They should get automatic life in prison or death.

• detective
    detective

I'm in no way attempting to excuse what happened but I also wonder about the husband's part in the tragedy. No, he didn't drown his children and presumably would never dream of doing such a thing but I think he certainly failed them. He knew his wife was mentally ill, suicidal and all around unstable. And yet he left his children with his wife in an unsupervisored setting. If his wife truly was mentally ill (I tend to believe she was), she would not be able to recognize her inability to provide care for her children. However, her mentally "stable" husband should have recognized the dangers of leaving your child in the care of a suicidal, unstable individual.

Would any of you leave a child with someone who could hardly care for themselves, was substantially depressed, occasionally incoherent and expressed suicidal ideations? Probably not. Assuming her husband was the sane one, what was thinking? Clearly, he was negligent to some degree in this situation. I think he knows it though. I suspect he stands by his wife because he knew how ill she was but also, because he feels a degree of guilt for not protecting his children's best interests and ultimately their lives.

I think life in jail- not the death penalty- because I really do believe she was mentally ill.

What an incredibly tragic situation.

• SYN
    SYN

It's not for us to make the decisions, I guess, but I'm with MegaDude on this one.

The only problem with the death penalty, and this is why I would never advocate it, is that you can often not be 100% sure that somebody committed the crime.

I think a better solution for this sort of thing would be a brain wipe. Destroy the personality, but not the person. We are our memories, remember?

Oh, heck, but we don't have those yet...

The earlier in the forenoon you take the sun bath, the greater will be the beneficial effect, because you get more of the ultra-violet rays, which are healing. - The Golden Age

• YoYoMama
    YoYoMama

Can someone provide a link to the article that says that her husband is an ex-Witness? Or this just another lie in a desperate attempt to discredit the Witnesses?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit