Just In: Andrea Yates To Be Executed

by Candle 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Candle
    Candle

The State of Texas will execute Andrea Yates for the murder of her children. The jury decision was just announced. She had choked and drowned her children to death, five in all. Many believed her severely depressed and insane, including her husband her after the pronouncement hid his face in his hands though Yates herself seemed to take it without expressing emotion one way or another.

The husband is a former Jehovah's Witness. It is not known if his wife ever was including for when the killings occurred. However one wonders if the views etc that he and his family were subjected to while at least he was a JW may have somehow contributed to this grave tragedy.

Earlier in 2002 two JWs in Chicago were arrested after having beaten their teen daughter Laree Slack to death with a thick electrical cord. The organization emphasizes that men are to keep their wives and children in subject, and that sparing the rod spoils the child.

• josephus
    josephus

hi

i think you spoke to soon. the woman was covicted, but the capital part of the trial begins in the morn.

shell probably get life. imho

josephus

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

http://www.cnn.com/2002/LAW/03/12/yates.verdict/index.html

HOUSTON, Texas (CNN) -- A jury of eight women and four men found Andrea Yates guilty Tuesday of two counts of murder for drowning her children in the family bathtub.

She now faces the death penalty or life in prison.

The jury surprised practically everyone by deliberating only three hours and 40 minutes before reaching a verdict in the murder trial of the Houston area woman.

Yates was found guilty of two counts of capital murder for the deaths last summer of Noah, 7, John, 5, and Mary, 6 months. One of the counts covers the two eldest children. She was not on trial for the drownings of Luke, 3, and Paul, 2.

One charge covers the intentional deaths of two people in the same event or scheme; the other covers the death of a child under 6.

Under Texas law, if jurors believed Yates knew right from wrong at the time of the killings, they could not have found her legally insane.

The prosecution did not contest that Yates suffered from a severe mental disease, but contended she knew killing her children was wrong and that the acts were premeditated.

"This is a crime of horrific proportions. This is a crime where she made a choice, knowing it was a sin, she had to conceal this act because others would stop her from doing it," prosecutor Kaylynn Williford said in her closing argument.

"It was wrong in the eyes of God and it was wrong in the eyes of the law."

Prosecutors also suggested that Yates might have killed the children to get back at her husband, Russell.

"I think anyone who has a mental illness [and] who watched that should be offended," Russell Yates said after the closing arguments.

Andrea Yates confessed to killing the children but pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity.

"If this woman doesn't meet the test of insanity in this state, then nobody does," defense attorney George Parnham told the jury. "We might as well wipe it from the books."

Yates attorney Wendell Odom argued that Yates was an "extremely sick woman" when she drowned the children.

"The state is looking for a technicality on how to convict her, because some people simply do not want to accept the fact that you can be so mentally ill that you kill five people," he said.

Odom said a number of the medical experts who testified Yates was the sickest patient they had ever seen, suffering from schizophrenia, depression and other mental conditions.

He said those conditions, combined with postpartum depression following Mary's birth, cause a "full-blown psychosis."

Odom also challenged the credibility of several prosecution witnesses, including high-profile UCLA psychiatrist Dr. Park Dietz whose testimony Odom implied might have been for sale.

"I know one thing, that if we had between $50,000 and $100,000 and we called him first, Park Dietz might have been testifying for the defense," Odom said.

Dietz testified Yates was mentally ill but still knew her actions were legally and morally wrong.

Prosecutors also played video and audio tapes in which Yates confessed to the killings and said what she did was wrong.

Williford described the steps Yates took in preparation to drown the children and said it took about three minutes for Paul to lose consciousness.

"I would ask that you take at least three minutes of silence, and sit there in silence and realize, realize how long it takes for a child to lose voluntary control of their body," she said.

Yates' attorneys asked for a mistrial Tuesday after prosecutor Joseph Owmby told jurors "there was no question" Yates acted knowingly and intentionally when she drowned her five children.

Odom argued a new trial should be granted because Owmby inappropriately defined the charges.

The arguments came after three weeks of testimony from police, medical experts and family members. The defense rested Monday after calling rebuttal witnesses in the trial of Andrea Yates. The prosecution rested over the weekend.

The prosecution has not charged Yates in the deaths of two children, preserving its right to charge her later. Legal analysts have speculated whether or not this would constitute double jeopardy -- trying a person twice for the same crime -- which is unconstitutional.

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

• amccullough
    amccullough
    However one wonders if the views etc that he and his family were subjected to while at least he was a JW may have somehow contributed to this grave tragedy.

Or better yet, one wonders if Aliens came down and planted a killing microchip in her brain.

Trying to link her horrific actions to the rumour that her husband was once a JW has got to be one of the most ridiculous stretches I have heard of. Wait until you have some evidence before you make damaging insinuations like that. And for the other case of the parents beating their child, I seem to remember that it had nothing to do with a religous belief as much as being demented. And weren't they inactive JWs too? Those people could have been any religion. Is it not apparent to you how subjective you are to your dislike of the WT? Try and break free of that, otherwise you are not much different than any mind controlled cultist.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

amccull has a point. she's just a demented person. I personally wouldn't have convicted her, because I think it's unlikely she knew what she was doing, but I really can't feel sorry for her....the way she killed them is horriffic. I don't think the death penalty is right in this case....she's obviously out of her mind. This wasn't payback for anything.

ashi

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

I think she should get the same penalty she dished out to her kids who fought desperately not to be drowned, who gasped for air and had their heads shoved back under.

• KistByQpid
    KistByQpid

Agreed MegaDude...same goes for that P.O.S. Longo.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Mega, I'm no mambi-pambi liberal, I think the death penalty is ok is almost all circumstances except this one....I think she was totally bonkers, gone. It's sick as shit, but it was caused from something inside her that she had no control over. I think she's scum, and should never see the light of day.....

....but thinking about how you texans are going to have to pay for her until she dies if she doesn't get the penalty...perhaps it is the thing to do.

The whole damn thing reads like a horror story.

ashi

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

Executing a criminal costs more money than keeping her alive til she dies. Just thought you should know Ash. It's just one of the wrong things people believe about capital punishment.

• its_my_life2001ca
    its_my_life2001ca

Candle.. Do you have not have Andrea's husband confused with that of Susan Smith, David. His mother was a witness and he was in his childhood. Andrea and her husband belonged to some strange church but I never heard them connected to JW's. Admittedly, we've all had our share of problems with the JW's but let's not blame them for everything that's wrong in this world.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit