Huge Shift in Doctrine?

by Lemonp 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The link between 1919 and 1914 is so tenuous and obfuscated that no JW I know can explain it in terms that a normal person would not go WTF ??

But, tenuous, improbable, sounding very much like nonsense or not, what else have the GB got ? if they ditch 1914 there simply has to be, and I capitalize this on purpose, NO REASON WHATSOEVER FOR A 1919 CHOOSING OF THE FDS.

If they were not chosen then, (and of course they were not), WHEN ? WHY ? and WHAT PROOF ?

If they are not the FDS what are they ? Seven old farts who have no education and no right to dictate to 7-8 million people.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    kaik: One of them is the 1918/1919 idiocy when they claimed that Bible Students were chosen by Jesus after for 3.5 years he was examining world's religion and discover a pack of prisoners charged with sedition in USA. I think it was 1919 year when they started to claim to be God's exclusive channel of communication.

That claim was not based on anything biblical or divine - the claim is rooted in the fact that the Watchtower Society purchased their own printing presses in 1919. The ownership of the printing presses is what gave the WTS their perceived authority. That authority did not come from 'God' - it came from money.

• fukitol
    fukitol
    They will never dump 1914 entirely. Look at the 7th Day Adventists - they still teach 1843.
  • OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    They will never dump 1914 entirely.

Ah...the 1914 prophecy of Charles Russell. Supposedly the backbone of the JW tenet that they 'have the truth'. The one and only prophet that 'knew' that 1914 was significant in biblical prophecy.

However, Russell was not the only 'prophet' who heralded in the first world war.

Abdu'l-baha', the eldest son of Baha'ullah who was the founder of the Baha'i faith, is credited by the followers of Baha'i as accurately predicting the significance of 1914:

On a number of occasions 'Abdu'l-Bahá spoke of Armageddon in connection with the "Great War"' of 1914-1918. In an address delivered at Stanford University in October 1912 he is reported to have stated,
    "We are on the eve of the battle of Armageddon, referred to in the 16th chapter of Revelation. The time is two years hence, when only a spark will set aflame the whole of Europe. The social unrest in all countries, the growing religious skepticism antecedent to the millennium are already here. Only a spark will set aflame the whole of Europe as is prophesied in the verses of Daniel and in the Book [Rev.] of John...."

http://bahai-library.com/lambden_catastrophe_millennium

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

kaik - "...they will need to fade the 1914 all together."

Not as long as guys like Stephen Lett keep saying that "there's more evidence for 1914 than there is for gravity, electricity, and wind".

• kaik
    kaik
    Vidiot, I did not mean that they will fade 1914 within next two years. It will take a decades until the generation of JWs who were attached to this year would die off. They did not change 1799 start of great tribulation until 1926-1928! Nobody was alive anymore since the time of the Napoleon's wars during Roaring 20's.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit