How do deaf people think?

by Iamallcool 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Steve_C
    Steve_C

Very interesting; thanks for posting that.

Factoid from the article:

One of the big differences between ASL and many other sign languages is that ASL primarily uses only hand gestures, whereas most types of sign languages, such as BSL, rely heavily on facial expressions and other physical expressions outside of hand and finger gestures.

I studied ASL for 2 semesters in college, and we were constantly reminded that our facial expressions communicated as much as our signing. I observed the reality of this from deaf people while communicating with them.

In your opinion, Iamallcool, is the above quote correct about ASL?

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Yes, that quote is correct. I agree 100%

• TheClarinetist
    TheClarinetist

Iamallcool:

Just curious: Is thinking in sign language visual, muscle memory, or something else? (If that's not too personal of a question) I can definitely see why it would vary from person to person... I could see it being a mental picture of disembodied gestures, or of a specific person (yourself, or whoever the speaker was) signing, or just the kind of "tingly" feeling in my hands I get when I imagine what it feels like to play a certain note on the clarinet.

Thank you for sharing that wonderful article! That is probably the most illuminating thing I've read in weeks.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Interesting article, thanks for posting it.

I am a music teacher and am very interested in language acquisition and development as it relates to music.

Music being a form of language, the similarities are very informative to my music pedagogy, or teaching methods.

Iamallcool, were you born deaf or did you become deaf later on?

00DAD

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

Maybe the op was a request for advice?

• diana netherton
    diana netherton

Llama..I didn't know you were deaf. I sometimes do captioning for deaf people...I am

a court reporter. I think it's wonderful...some of us go into schools and provide CART

services...

• Diest
    Diest

Am I the only one who thinks Marley Matlin's accent is hot? I am not kidding, I really love hearing her speak.

My guess is that I am in the Minority.

• still thinking
    still thinking

LOL...it would appear I am already here. Gees I get around. Must be sleep walking.

• still thinking
    still thinking

That was a very interesting article lamallcool. I had no idea what it would be like for a deaf person.

My son had really bad glue ear as a child. He had grommets put in twice before he was 4 years old to help clear them. And his hearing loss was significant at this time. He actually used to lip read a lot and turn my head to face him when I talked. His hearing is fine now. But after reading that article I wonder what long term effects it has had on him.

This quote after the article made me think...thanks lamallcool.

• On the “self awareness being tied to language” note, I found this quote from Helen Keller interesting: “Before my teacher came to me, I did not know that I am. I lived in a world that was a no-world. I cannot hope to describe adequately that unconscious, yet conscious time of nothingness. (…) Since I had no power of thought, I did not compare one mental state with another.” Hellen Keller, 1908: quoted by Daniel Dennett, 1991, Consciousness Explained. London, The Penguin Press. pg 227
  • still thinking
    still thinking

On a side note....does that mean if you 'hear' Jesus he would be signing to you?

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit