favorite cars you have owned

by fakesmile 46 Replies latest social entertainment

• fakesmile
    fakesmile

the last thread on this was like 8 yrs ago. thought it could be updated. cars, trucks, or motorcycles. im partial to imports. my favorite was a 1993 lexus sc300. same inline 6 engine as a toyota supra minus the turbo. got it from an older lady for 6000. it was very well taken care of. than a drunk driver creamed it. bastard. recently came across an 01 acura integra ls.$3000 sweet car. looking foreward to some good times. 35 mpg is nice.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

AMC Pacer, the door fell off one day, they were big doors.

• jgnat
    jgnat

'76 Plymouth Valiant. It had a slant-six engine which guys that new something about such things, said was something. Boy that car had heart. It would start on the coldest days, which here in Canada is pretty cold. It would reliably stall at the third intersection (something to do with the choke?) so I got adept at popping the engine in to neutral and gunning it.

Valiant

• James Brown
    James Brown

My favorite car was a 1969 Javelin. It got smashed between 2 cars on the street in front of the book study.

Some guy was out looking at Xmas lights with his family and ran into the back of it and shoved the front of

it into the car in front of it..

It was a very cool car. I wish I could figure out how to post a picture of it.

• James Brown
    James Brown

There it is I figured it out.

• designs
    designs

1964 Chevy Mailbu SS with 4 barrel carb and 4 speed. See them at Auto Shows

Triumph TR6 Red sweetest touring car for mountain roads, use to take it up to Mt. Palomar and Julian on the weekends.

1985 Jeep CJ Black with hardtop, bought it in Dallas Tx and drove it back to California following the old Route 66.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hubby owned a navy blue '79 corvette for about two hours until his parents found out. He parked it halfway down the street to make sure the coast was clear. His parents saw him walking back and forth in front of the house and smelled a fish. When he tried to sneak it in to the garage, he was busted.

Corvette

He had to take it back.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Well, maybe this will shock a lot of people, but I am going to pick the Porsche 911.

Disclaimer - yes, I have a Rolls-Royce Silver Dawn and a Ferrari Testarossa, and they were both lifetime car goals and I love them both.

But over the years, since 1969, I have usually had some version of the Porsche 911:

1969 911T Targa, 1972 911T coupe, 1975 911S Targa, 1982 911SC Targa, 1975 911S Targa, 1975 911S Targa, (then a series of Corvettes), and now a 1996 993 Carrera Targa which is my daily driver.

I have, in between the various Porsches, and particularly before the Targa I have now, owned several Corvettes:

1974 L82 4spd, 1977 L82 4speed, 1984 Z51, 1996 LT4 Collectors edition, 1996 LT4 normal, 1995 ZR-1, 2005 Z06.

After all this experience, I can honestly tell you that there is no sports car which can equal the overall usefulness and driving experience of the P911.

PS - and yes, if you want pure luxury and prestige, the Rolls-Royce really is "The Best Car in the World". But for my daily driving, I want something smaller and sportier - and the Porsche 911 fits the bill. Corvettes are fast for the money, but I have found their build quality to just be too low to really satisfy me compared to the 911 - and they really don't handle nearly as well. I do wish I had kept that 1995 ZR-1 though.

OK - finally: (As I seem to be the JWN Ferrari enthusiast): I have driven the smaller models since 1972, starting with the 246 Dino, but always felt that for the same money Porsche offered more. However, I always wanted a Ferrari 12 cylinder - as this really is the ultimate super-sports car.

So - six years ago (not long after I joined JWN) I found a nearly perfect 1986 Flying Mirror Testarossa. Red with tan leather - the classic Ferrari colors.

What you have to understand about this car is that yes, it really is everything Ferrari. FAST - (it was the fastest and most expensive car sold in the U.S. when it was new), but also a "total driving experience". It is very low, it has limited rough road ability (strikes the front air spoiler at the slightest bump at the cost of $1000 each), very cumbersome to park and maneuver in town - no power steering and a rather stubborn gated gearshift which really needs to be double clutched unless fully warmed up. The engine is the whole point of the car - and it is magnificent: Eerie 12 cylinder wail, idles as smooth as a Rolls-Royce, and pulls all the way to 7,000 RPM like a freight train. The engine also has to be pulled out of the car every 5 to 7 years for a major service including timing belts at the cost of about $10,000. It is 5 litres, 390 HP, and has 4 valves per cylinder with dual overhead cams on each bank - thus being just about twice as big and a little more complex than an early Porsche 911.

It is - in short - a Supercar Toy. It is simply not suitable for use as a daily driver. Mine is 26 years old now, and has less than 27,000 miles. And I am the third owner.

So, James Woods endorses Dr. Porsche's magnificent practical 911 as the most satisfying sports car in the world. Air cooled ones only, of course.

I think I will post again with a couple mentions of honor.

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

I loved my Alfa Romeo until my brother took it back :(

• james_woods
    james_woods

I am sure BotchTowerSociety will eventually have a look at this thread, and perhaps he would be so kind as to post a picture of the Ferrari and the Rolls-Royce when he can.

I cannot link pictures on my company network.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit