What leads a person to think they are inspired by God?

by jwfacts 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Healthworker
    Healthworker

144001!

"The following medications have been reported to give rise to auditory hallucinations: Ambien, Amphetamines , Catapres, Celontin, Darvocet, Darvon, Demerol, Ketalar, Khat, Neo-Synephrine, Persantine, Prialt, Provigil, Symmetrel, Ultram, Tenuate, Valtrex, Vioxx, Visken"

Haven't you read Gal 5:20 to stay away from pharmakia?

If you gather with 5-6 of your friends and debate an old book over some boooze and a joint (or the medications above), you would probablly think you are Messiah to.

So stay of those drugs and seek accurate knowledge about all sides of life

• Ding
    Ding

I think it often comes down to a craving for significance. Understanding things no one else does is very intoxicating.

Consider C.T. Russell as an example. I think Russell really believed the Adventist date calculations based on numbers in the Bible and his own additions to them.

For example, despite the fact that there is no reason that the Great Pyramid's dimensions in the modern measurements of "inches" should mean anything at all, he became convinced that they verified those dates and that there was no way this could be a coincidence. If you look at his published charts, he came up with numerous symmetries in his date system (era X before Abraham exactly equal to era Y after Abraham, etc.). The more he was able to come up with these "patterns," the more convinced he became that God was revealing these things to him.

As his writings spread (which he saw as proof of God's blessing), various clergy and Bible scholars started warning people that his theories were nonsense. This opposition convinced Russell that they were jealous Pharisees and that he was God's Laodicean messenger, a prophet crying in the wilderness in the last days and battling those false religionists on behalf of God.

Other people began following him as God's spokesman. After that, there was no turning back. He really believed his own hype.

I go back and forth regarding Rutherford. I tend to think that he knew he was a ruthless manipulator and just cynically used the religious trappings as a scam to power and control. Then I read his "jubilee cycle" explanation of his 1925 prophecy in the "Millions" book and I start to think that he really considered himself as God's chosen successor to Russell.

Fred Franz seems to me much more like Russell -- clever at finding meaningless patterns in the Bible or history and truly believing that God was revealing hidden truths through him.

Based on Ray Franz's statements in CoC, I think the later GB members don't see themselves as God's messenger the way Russell did. Rather, they hold fast to the concept that they are part of God's chosen organization. They really believe the "faithful and discreet slave" concept, the idea that the organization is something greater than them. Rather than coming up with new date systems like Russell, Rutherford, and Fred Franz, they are busy plugging holes in the dike, trying to come up with new explanations ("generation") to keep the whole thing going despite the failure of so many of the predictions. They aren't as sure as Russell that their explanations come from God because they have seen so many such failures. Their favorite scripture is Proverb 4:18, because the "progressive light" idea allows them to maintain their belief in the "chosen organization" concept despite all the evidence to the contrary.

So many have based their entire lives on this organization that the possibility that the whole movement is based on a delusion is simply more than they can bear to contemplate. They are determined to grit their teeth and endure to the end because their entire self-concept is based on their being "in the truth."

• elderelite
    elderelite

Im disapointed in you facts. Its people like you woth your doubt and redicule that drive people away and i dont blame them for leaving!

/endsarcasium

• Healthworker
    Healthworker

Elderelite!

Matt 7:1-5 Do not judge!

Honesty is a fine thing! Be careful with your conclusions!

• James Brown
    James Brown

I think if someone was inspired by God they would be able to perform miracles to prove it.

No miracles or false predictions like the wactower agency are proof of a charlatin.

• Ding
    Ding

Although most of us will never conclude that we are God's chosen messenger in the way that Russell thought of himself, being a JW gives a taste of what this must feel like.

As a JW, you are (so you think) part of a small percentage of people in the world that are understand, obey, and are approved by Jehovah God.

You don't take other people's literature at the door because there is nothing you can learn from them.

You have the truth.

They are in darkness.

They should be grateful that you have come to them to tell them how to get into your organizational ark before Armageddon comes.

If this is the attitude of the average WT publisher, what must it be like to be the person who writes the publications on which 7 million JWs base every aspect of their lives?

What must it be like to be on the GB?

What must it have been like to have been C.T. Russell, Joseph Rutherford, or Fred Franz?

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

I think there are several reasons...

- Power. Some people will say it because they like the power over others it gives them.

- Lack of faith in themselves. Some people are actually quite bright, but lack any kind of faith that they are able to figure things out on their own, so anytime they figure out something on their own that they thought would be more than they could handle, credit goes to God popping the answer in their head

- Hallucinations. We've all sworn we heard something when no one was in the room, or thought we saw something out of the corner of our eye. That's not to imply that someone needs to see a doctor, but some people take tha more seriously than others.

- The need to see a doctor. There is a voice in your head, your inner monologue, but it's your voice, your thoughts. When it is someone else's voice telling you what to say and do, it's time to see a doctor

- The need to feel special. Too lazy to write more on this.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Its called Delusion!

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Is it really all that hard to understand?

People read a book that purports to be recorded history, historical reality, and claims to be filled with absolute and literal truths (eg Jesus, with his "truly I say to you..." schtick). The book is FILLED with such accounts of speaking in tongues, miracles, faith healers, resurrections, being directed by God's Holy Spirit to write, etc. and even actively commands it's readers to become participants in the story! Heck, 'commands' is putting it lightly: it's "do or die!" death threat!

However, some people actually try to do exactly that, but dare to overstep some boundaries (eg drinking wine at the Memorial), there's the same GB, reprimanding them with, "well, we didn't mean for you to get THAT wrapped up into all of this! Who do you think YOU are? Us?"

They control the rules of the delusion, not the individual players. They are the dungeon masters.

Such is the risk of ALL fantasy role-playing games (D&D, WOW, etc): some can't play them while maintaining their own sense of identity, keeping in touch with reality, and allow their egos to get wrapped up in a tangled knot with the delusion.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

"What leads a person to think they are inspired? Do they really believe they are, or is it a strategic move to gain power over others? Is it mental illness? "

They really are all inspired by God! Because if they weren't inspired by God, he would silence them, right? The problem is that God has communication problems, gets confused and disoriented easily. You have to realize that he's very, very old. Sitting up there in his celestial nursing home, he can't remember who he's told what or even which day it is.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit