What leads a person to think they are inspired by God?

by jwfacts 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sizemik
    sizemik

You become your own authority . . . even if people prove you wrong, you can still be right, because the spirit can't lie. So now you don't have to be afraid of the dark anymore.

Some can't live without that certainty . . . so they invent a magical wonderland where it all comes true and even the trees are made of chocolate.

I supposedly suffer from mental illness now, after giving away all that crap. WTF?

I don't know about the clinical definition of mental illness . . . but I firmly believe the self-deluded mind is not a well mind.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Bohm - I wonder how they tell apart the inner monologue, and the voice of God. Do they speak in different voices?

Great question.

Rutherford said he was instructed by angels, but apparently did not hear sounds. He just knew it was them. ???

"... the remnant are instructed by the angels of the Lord. The remnant do not hear audible sounds, because such is not necessary. Jehovah has provided his own good way to convey thoughts to the minds of his anointed ones." Preparation (1933) p.64

• ballistic
    ballistic

Hold on jwfacts.... I've just received some important inspiration....

, sorry, I've forgotten what it was. ;)

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Damn Ballistic, I was hoping to be your first follower.

• Healthworker
    Healthworker

Hi, jwfacts! Great site you got by the way!

Concerning JW I think you have to recognize that they truly believe to be inspired by God. Their basic motivation was and is a search for meaning in life, as for many other religious people. Some of them may be mentally ill or plain evil, just like in any other political or religious org.

In lack of other options, Russel and his friends honestly thought they could provide healthy spiritual food at the right time. Some of their litterature helps people to change to the better, even today. Unfortunately the org. developed into a corporation with manmade rules as any other religion.

Life with it's fantastic variation, complexity and wisdom, may still raise the question wether or not there is a God. A sound consience may help people to search for the fundamental questions in life, without suppression of other people!

Those who believe that god is speaking to them are likely suffering from auditory hallucinations. Here is an interesting article from Psychology Today on the subject:

Are You Hearing Voices?

"Methought I heard a voice cry, 'Sleep no more!'" -- Macbeth, Act 2, Scene 3 Published on September 14, 2009 by Jerome Litt, M.D. in Odd, Curious, and Rare

Auditory hallucinations, the false or distorted perceptions of sound, music, noises, or voices “are one of the most awe-inspiring, terrifying, and ill-understood tricks the human psyche is capable of." The voices may tell the person to perform an act (commonly referred to as a "command hallucination"). The man who killed a Swedish politician in September 2003 told the police that voices in his head told him "to attack."

Auditory hallucinations are most often a symptom of severe, disabling psychiatric or neurological illness. It affects as many as 70 percent of those with schizophrenia and about 15 percent of those with mood disorders such as depression or mania. Studies of combat veterans diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) have found that 50–65% have experienced auditory hallucinations.

Some types of auditory hallucinations include musical hallucinations, where people will hear music playing in their mind, usually well-known songs they are familiar with. This can be caused by lesions on the brain, occurring most often from strokes, but also tumors, encephalitis, or abscesses.

It is also possible to experience musical hallucinations from listening to music for long periods of time. Musical hallucinations are most common in older people, especially women, with hearing loss. Beethoven had musical hallucinations after he became deaf. Fortunately he continued to compose . . .

Many historical figures, from Socrates to Caesar to Descartes, have been reported to "hear voices." Hallucinated voices are also known to occur during states of religious or creative inspiration. Joan of Arc described hearing the voices of saints telling her to free her country from the English. Rainer Maria Rilke heard the voice of a "terrible angel" amidst the sound of a crashing sea after living alone in a castle on the Adriatic for two months. This experience prompted his writing the poem, Duino Elegies.

Absinthe, a bitter spirit containing wormwood, was one of the most popular alcoholic beverages of late 19th century Europe. The emerald green drink—"the green fairy"—was consumed by people from all walks of life. Side effects from the active ingredient—thujone—include hallucinations, seizures, and death. The most memorable celebrity known as an absinthe drinker was Vincent van Gogh. Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Paul Gauguin, Oscar Wilde and Edgar Allan Poe were all passionate about absinthe.

The Transformers star, Megan Fox, admits she has struggled with mental health problems since her youth, and, although she hasn't been officially diagnosed, she is convinced she shows symptoms of a serious psychiatric condition which often torments her with auditory hallucinations, paranoid delusions and social dysfunction.

The following medications have been reported to give rise to auditory hallucinations: Ambien, Amphetamines, Catapres, Celontin, Darvocet, Darvon, Demerol, Ketalar, Khat, Neo-Synephrine, Persantine, Prialt, Provigil, Symmetrel, Ultram, Tenuate, Valtrex, Vioxx, Visken

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/odd-curious-and-rare/200909/are-you-hearing-voices

• Finkelstein
      Finkelstein

What leads a person to think they are inspired by God ?

Something attainably greater, that could never be made possible simply by themselves.

To have god's divine power in their own hands as it were, the key word being power.

The GB claim not to be inspired, something about that word concerns them, but then show they believe to be inspired when saying Jehovah uses them and directs them with his holy spirit.

The fact that every large religious organization says that they are being guided by god's divine holy power,

signifies the fact that all simply are not, they are guided and driven solely by their own inherent inspirations though.

Who wants to be just mortal when you can be empowered by divine spirituality.

Sounds good doesn't it ?

The continuing and involving question presents itself to people to whom they've lure toward them is, are they really being divinely guided ?

• cedars
      cedars

jwfacts - I suspect you've already nailed it with the suggestion in your OP of "mental illness". Perhaps, "mental imbalance" would be a kinder way of putting it, which is ironically the term coined by the organization to describe memorial partakers who are not on the Governing Body. The brain is a complicated piece of equipment. As my Dad would always say when talking himself out of buying expensive stereos, "the more it can do, the more can go wrong".

As to the Governing Body, you and I have just had an exchange of emails that has provided me with further food for thought. I don't think the Governing Body members individally consider themselves to be directly inspired or appointed by God (with the possible exception of AM III), even though their literature gives that impression. The trouble with the Governing Body is that it is, first and foremost, an "idea" or "concept", and a fuzzy and confusing one at that. I don't think the Governing Body members themselves have given full thought to what the Governing Body is or claims to be. If they did, they would almost certainly realize that the doctrinal foundations of the Governing Body are shaky at best, non-existant at worst.

Rather, they just go along with it and keep their heads down - grateful for their position and opportunity to play a prominent role in God's organization. Because God's guidance is claimed collectively, none of the Governing Body members feel compelled or inclined to claim it individually. In this vacuum of personal responsibility, they can (and do) say as they please - and have done for decades. Whether God's spirit does or doesn't inspire them when penning the actual material for the publications individually is, in their minds, superfluous.

Cedars

• iamwhoiam
      iamwhoiam

Ego

• leavingwt
      leavingwt

For some, the explanation is hallucinations. There are many documented explanations for hallucinations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwJsNTZFdcU

Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit