Ringing in the ears (Tinnitus)

by ballistic 25 Replies latest jw friends

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

OP said:

I'm not saying I believe any of this, just saying, I can see where the theories stem from. I wonder if there are many metaphysical theories about other diseases or ailments, or just this one?

Study the history of medicine, and you'll see that in ancient times ALL diseases and illness were thought of as being caused by supernatural forces; the medicine man was literally the spiritualist in the community, the one who chased the evil spirits away with magic cures, spells, potions, liquids. This is not just primitive cultures (like as found in the Amazon in last century), but places like Egypt, Babylon, etc.

PS I have a form of tinnitus called gaze-induced pulsatile tinnitus, where I only hear the sound of blood pulsing in my ears when I look in extreme directions. Very odd, but avoidable.

Garden-variety tinnitus is actually tricky to determine the cause, as there's so many factors that can cause it. Stick with the mainstream medical sites, and see if anything seems likely (even stuff like smoking can cause it). Really nailing down the cause requires much testing, looking for underlying causes (high blood pressure, exposure to toxins, etc). The approach is to start with the least-costly rule-outs, and keep digging until you find the cause.

• LV101
    LV101

I think it's very common and I just try to ignore it. I think it's from extremely loud noises --- playing music way to loud (concerts) and people yelling in your ears (childhood) causing nerve damage. It is annoying.

wasblind -- I could not believe what I was hearing about the brain lights but the brain might light up when we relax and talk to ourselves. Of course the radio speaker hyped it up but who knows. If you find any info do tell.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

I dare say it's not that the brain actually "lights up", but that researchers use dye markers which can identify what cells of the brain are more active thru use of PET scans (and other imaging methods).

Hence, although brain researchers may say that the scan shows the brain "lighting up", it simply means that those areas in the brain are more actively metabolizing sugars than others while people are praying. It's no different from how certain areas are active when listening to music, vs talking or playing piano, etc.

• Glander
    Glander

On occasion I might take an aspirin or two for an ache or pain. I always notice it increases my Tinnitus for a few hours.

• Etude
    Etude

I have severe tinnitus, probably from one too many rock concerts. Some antibiotics can cause it and even make you lose your hearing altogether. But if were to even consider that the noise I hear was supernatural, I'd have my head examined by a psychiatrist first before I have my hearing checked by an otorhinolaryngologist .

Etude.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Glanders said:

On occasion I might take an aspirin or two for an ache or pain. I always notice it increases my Tinnitus for a few hours.

Yup, salicylic acid (which some people take as a daily 81mg baby aspirin to reduce risk of stroke) is a common cause, esp with the long-term use.

There's also skincare products for acne that contain the same active ingredient (asalicylic acid, found in Johnson and Johnson's 'Clean and Clear' astringent), so people may be getting the same ingredient from different sources and not even realize it. Hence why it's important keep track of even OTC meds, since they may be implicated as a partial cause of the problem.

• LV101
    LV101

KingSol --- that makes sense (brain).

Good info on aspirin and OTC/skincare products/thanks. I'm concerned this salicylic acid might be in makeup/moisturizer products that are supposedly renewing/good for skin.

• tinker
    tinker

I have had Tinnitus for years. Allergy's and lots of ear infections as a child or current pain meds may be to blame but ??? don't really know for sure. I have learned to ignor the constant ringing but it does interfere with my hearing. I have a hard time hearning on the phone or when there is much background noise. I likey missed the message if a spirit was trying to tell me something. Call again when things quiet down.

• Glander
    Glander

My right ear is the worst. Last week I took two aspirin for an inflammation and I was pretty much deaf in the right ear for half a day.

• ballistic

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit