Do You Like or Dislike Algebra? Why and Why not?

by Scott77 76 Replies latest social current

• Quendi
    Quendi

On the whole I agree with simon17 although I also know from my own experience that taking advanced placement math courses is no guarantee that a student is ready for college level mathematics. I've been on both sides of math education in the United States and right now it is in very bad shape as our friend has noted. Rigor has been thrown out the window in favor of passing badly composed standardized tests. (I've also worked as a grader of state standardized tests and know just how bad many of them are.) If a person aspires to be an engineer, mathematician, actuary, technician or scientist, then mathematics is an essential. Everyone knows that. What is missing in much of math education today is why something is done or true. Emphasis is placed on how and even then that emphasis is very narrow in its focus and reach.

When you take calculus and higher mathematics at the college level, you must know how to prove things. You must know what a definition, axiom/postulate, and theorem are. This isn't being taught in high school mathematics anymore, not even in Euclidean geometry classes. I was appalled at the textbook used in the Honors Geometry class I taught that skipped over Euclid and his axiomatic method for the bulk of the course, mentioning both only in passing and only at the very end. So when a student gets into a college calculus class and has to learn the epsilon/delta approach to limits, or reason why a maximum or minimum of a function over an interval depends on calculating its derivative, he is at a complete loss because he doesn't understand how to construct a simple proof. I've seen many a high school math whiz fall flat on his face in a differential calculus or real analysis class because of that ignorance.

Students are given calculators in third grade but don't understand the basic arithmetic used to solve problems. They don't know the relationship between decimals and fractions. Hell, they can't even do the four basic operations of arithmetic if fractions or decimals are involved! And when I interviewed for teaching jobs, I was asked what was my attitude about calculator use in the classroom. My reply that I banned their use until my students could demonstrate basic math competency disqualified me for the job I sought right then and there. I've said before the fault lies, not with the kids, but with bureaucrats, parents, employers and others who don't demand competency and the meeting of high standards from our students. I know of many teachers who don't even teach multiplication tables anymore saying, "To drill is to kill"!

All the standardized testing in the world isn't going to fix the problem of math education until real math teachers are welcomed back into the classroom; get paid well for their services; and are backed up by administrators and parents when they demand and enforce the kind of mental discipline the study of mathematics must have. Then and only then will our kids and others get the math education they deserve.

Quendi

• av8orntexas
    av8orntexas

I hated algerbra with a passion. I could do the work,but it took me a while to catch on. I was always about a week or two behind the class before I would catch on. I always needed alot of example work done by my teachers.

When I got to college I was a chemistry major. I was going into oil and gas dammit ! Then after seeing all the math I needed,I promptly chnaged majors to Computer Science with a focus on software because in 1996 the WWW was blowing up and all my counselors pointed me there.

Then the JW's stepped in and I quit college for the full time work. Brilliant !

16 years later...I work in aviation and there is tons of math involved in the daily calculations with our flight operations.

Mrs Gonzales was indeed right....." You'll need this one day ! "

• av8orntexas
    av8orntexas

JeffT sounds like work.

I love aviation so its bearably for me.

Everything is math. Like what is the fuel burn on the 737 (pick a model/variant ) climb rate,range, max take off/landing weights,with payload or certain powerplants ( engines )

Or calculating speed and glide distance,turning rates,etc on a single or double engine failure.

Thankfully the computer will dispatch all the work,but in my 11 years here the whole system crashed once. That may have been in 2003,2004. And we really were doing things with paper and pencil so to speak,lol

• JeffT
    JeffT

Add worksheets to what's wrong in our schools. Too many math classes consist ofdoing the same basic problem over and over again without any understanding. Toss in calculators and you have a room full of kids that don't get math.

It would be nice to know that the guy who figured out how much fuel to put in that 737 understood the calculations inolved.

Incidently, if any of you think the the example I posted was too much work to do to figure out, don't worry. Your landlord loves you.

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

Love Algebra.

Almost as much as sushi. And Football.

The Oracle

• VM44
    VM44

This might be of interest to some here.

Becoming a Problem Solving Genius: A Handbook of Math Strategies

Every math student needs a tool belt of problem solving strategies to call upon when solving word problems. In addition to many traditional strategies, this book includes new techniques such as Think 1, the 2-10 method, and others developed by math educator Ed Zaccaro. Each unit contains problems at five levels of difficulty to meet the needs of not only the average math student, but also the highly gifted. Answer key and detailed solutions are included. Grades 4-12

• Scott77
    Scott77

Anyone who like to comments here? Its about why we love or hate algebra.

Scott77

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Algebra is all about the "=" equals sign.

It's the ultimate reality in equality.

Who would hate that? Why?

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I'm taking Calculus right now. . . .

And you would think where I'd get hung up is in all that fancy calc stuff like derivatives, and derivatives of derivatives . . ..

But nooooooo. . . . . . all of those concepts I've got down pat.

Where do I always screw up? In the friggin algebra!

Drives me absolutely mad!

• jam
    jam

Who invented Algebra? A Clever x-pert...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit