Do You Like or Dislike Algebra? Why and Why not?

by Scott77 76 Replies latest social current

• Adiva
    Adiva

I dislike algebra and most other math. I took it in high school and charmed my way into a passing C grade. (The teacher liked me, a lot.)

Adiva

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    Andrew Hacker is an emeritus professor of political science at Queens College, City University of New York,

That bio says it all about this hack article. How can somebody be considered educated if they don't even know basic Algebra? Math undergirds EVERYTHING. Numeracy is every bit as important as literacy.

• Nice_Dream
    Nice_Dream

I was a straight A student, but only managed a C+ in Math. It is a subject I never understood, but wish I did. Somehow I always came up with weird answers, and my teachers would wonder how the heck I came to that answer. I admire people who are great at math though.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

I almost failed algebra in high school. This meant that I had to spend early morning sessions with the young blonde teacher who wore a really short skirt.

I was much better at geometry and never done the homework but passed with a "B"

I like Algebra but i'm not very good at it.

• Quendi
    Quendi

I have a degree in mathematics and have taught it at the middle and high school level. From my experience, I would say that mathematics is easily the worst taught subject in American schools. Many of its teachers hate and fear it and lack competency in it, so it is no wonder their students feel that way. The scariest thing I ever had my students tell me was that I was the very first math teacher they ever had who knew what the hell I was talking about, clearly loved the subject, and could give lucid, rational explanations for what I wanted my students to learn.

I love algebra, particularly linear algebra in which I conducted research, and taught it enthusiastically. I also taught geometry which is the gateway to the higher realms in mathematics when it is presented correctly. That means introducing students to the axiomatic method, which in turns teaches the ability to think analytically and synthetically. That is the kind of thinking which is necessary to solve problems of any kind.

The chair of the Math Department where I attended college used to tell us mathematicians that the idea many people have about mathematics is that it is wholly concerned with number crunching. Nothing could be further from the truth, he would always say. Number crunching is only a tiny fraction of what mathematicians really do. The true thrust and aim of the discipline is to meet challenges with dynamic thinking. For all his talk to the contrary, it is clear to me that Mr. Hacker has missed that most vital point of what mathematics education, whether it encompasses algebra or goes well beyond that, is all about.

Quendi

• simon17
    simon17

Its ok if you hated algebra. Although wonderful, math is not for everyone. And that is fine. Ninety percent of people out there, plenty of them wildly and happily successful, will never need to use math in their entire life. For those that like it and are adept at mathematical concepts, plenty of fields like the natural sciences, engineering, actuarial sciences, biostatisticians, and others need it all the time in order to make progress in their fields.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Why are college freshman even taking algebra? For students attending a four-year college, that is remedial work. They should have two years of algebra, one of geometry, and one of trigonometery under their belts before graduating high school. Yes, that means four years of college-prep math. It is shameful that colleges and college students must routinely waste time (and tuition money) doing what should have been done in high school.

Mathematics is part of the curriculum for the same reason that literature, history, economics, laboratory science and social science is required for college-bound students. You need a broad, comprehensive foundation to understand the connections between the branches of knowledge.

The solution to large numbers of students failing algebra is not abandoning rigor in the curriculum. If anything, a general strengthening of academic standards is warranted. Dedicated teachers who refuse to accept the "I can't do it!" alibi prove the point. The late Jaime Escalante (of Stand and Deliver fame) is the best known example, but there others like him. Unfortunately, there are not enough others, nor enough school administrators with the courage to allow those extraordinary teachers to do their best.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Please what are examples you had 'in the real world...able to use it in solving some everyday problems'?

I hated algebra when I was in school. Then I went into investment real estate. Lets say you own a small business. You lease 900 square feet of space for your shop. The rent is $12 per square foot for the first year and increases by 50 cents per foot per year for each of the next four years, when your lease comes up for renewal. In year 3 your lease 500 more spuare feet at fifteen dollars per square foot. The next year you give back half of that space because you found out you don't need it. Your landlord hands you a bill for a months rent of $1375.00. Is this bill correct?

I was on the other side of that bill (as the accountant) for years. The example above is simple compared to some I did.

Another example, you go to buy a new car. One dealer offers to sell you the car for $17,900 at 4% interest over four years. Another one offers to sell you the same car for $16,000 at 5% interest over five years. Which one is the better deal?

Putting things into numbers is the difference between science and opinion. Opinion is fine to have, but everybody ought to know how to base it on the facts.

• simon17
    simon17

Why are college freshman even taking algebra? For students attending a four-year college, that is remedial work. They should have two years of algebra, one of geometry, and one of trigonometery under their belts before graduating high school. Yes, that means four years of college-prep math. It is shameful that colleges and college students must routinely waste time (and tuition money) doing what should have been done in high school.

It is shameful, but I can tell you this from first hand knowledge: Kids coming into college, by and large, know absolutely no math whatsoever. It is really sad. Many people on multiple choice placement tests on algebra and trig score worse than what would be expected by random guessing. Many are unable even to look at two fractions and say which is bigger (say 2/3 and 1/2). Why?

1) Prolific calculator use before understanding of basic arithmatic and algebraic concepts set in. (Forget graphing-- most students wouldn't know where to start graphing anything by hand other than perhaps a line given them in y=mx+b form)

2) No Child Left Behind means teachers teach to the test, have immense pressure to pass people, and do this with increasingly low standards

3) The style of teaching math is completely oriented towards "tricks" to solving random problems and not understanding of WHY the solution makes sense and HOW it is derived from and connected to previous material

4) General coddling. The bad part is students come into college THINKING they are ready and in many cases BELIEVING it, in spite of having forgetten everything in algebra and trig classes they got B's and A's in. Ex: Everyone thinks they know about square roots. Root(4) = 2. Easy. They don't want to learn it in college because they know it. Yet in one class, this problem was on the placement exam: Simplify Root(4x^2 - 4) / (2x - 2) and not a single person in the class was able. They all violated the properties of a square root and took it term by term in the numerator and got something like 1! They don't know anything. And they don't know that they don't know anything.

Terribly sad. Country's going DOWN in producing technical expertise, I can promise you that.

FYI this is not every single student. There is a small minority, say 1-2% who were dedicated or took good AP programs or were in magnate schools who are quite prepared and exceptional.

• VM44

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit