Would You Listen To A Prayer From A JW And Say Amen If They Said A Prayer In Your Presence?

by minimus 49 Replies latest jw friends

• shepherd
    shepherd

I would be respectful of their prayer but I would not partake in it, bowing my head, holding hands, closing my eyes or saying amen at the end. This applies to ANY religion though, because I don't wish to make it look as if I still believe in an imaginary God.

• blondie
    blondie

I haven't been around a jw for years except at work and no prayers allowed (out loud anyway). None allowed in my house (no jw has gotten past the porch) and haven't been to a KH or convention for 11 years. No funerals, no weddings, no memorials. I suppose I could be at a restaurant where some jw who never prays at home decides to have a public prayer at a table next to mine...I would just stand up and go to the restroom...no amens, more importantly I would not have my brain contaminated.

I grew up in a "divided" household and sat through many a prayer at a non-jw house, or at a church wedding, and I had no problem not saying amen audibly.

• Violia
  • Violia
    Violia

I will try posting in Chrome b/c IE is not working for me right now.

yes, as long as they were polite and stayed fairly neutral, I'd be ok with saying amen.

• Jadeen
    Jadeen

We have dinner with my parents once a week and my dad always has to say a prayer first. I bow my head, but I don't close my eyes or say amen. Actually, I noticed last time that my brother doesn't say amen either, just my mom. I'm waiting for my dad to make a comment about it. My husband calls my dad's prayers sermons- bet dad's counting that as time preaching to my "worldly" husband!

• oppostate
    oppostate

If the brother mentions the "faithful and discrete slave", like the one who closed the meeting this evening, I don't say amen to his prayer.

As soon as I hear the "FDS" I make it a point to raise my head and not include myself in the prayer, instead asking God to forgive me and to please deliver me from this cult that has a grip on my family.

• Sulla
    Sulla

When I was young and we would visit my grandparents, my dad would ask to say a JW prayer. My grandfather (German atheist) would allow it and remain silent through it, staring straight ahead.

Fast forward.

My grandfather dies. A couple days after the funeral my JW parents, my wife and I (Catholic, now), and our daughter are cleaning some things out of his house. We have supper in my grandfather's dining room. My dad prays. My daughter crosses herself; I stare straight ahead while my dad begins, "Jehovah God, our heavenly Father..."

• startingover
    startingover

I act the same way JW's do when they are in a situation where they have to listen to a non JW's prayer.

• talesin
    talesin

shepherd

I would be respectful of their prayer but I would not partake in it, bowing my head, holding hands, closing my eyes or saying amen at the end. This applies to ANY religion though, because I don't wish to make it look as if I still believe in an imaginary God.

me, too

tal

• Unicorns
    Unicorns

On the rare occasion where I have to be around for a prayer, I will close my eyes, but I have long since stopped saying 'amen'. The sad thing is, even though I've stopped believing in God a long time ago, I always feel slightly guilty about not saying 'amen'. I always half-expect someone to say something, or feel like I'm being disrespectful, even though not showing respect to God was the whole point in my not saying 'amen'. Ah, cognitive dissonance, it really does stick with a person.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit