Would You Listen To A Prayer From A JW And Say Amen If They Said A Prayer In Your Presence?

by minimus 49 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

My mom has had visits from various JWs and they have asked her if they could say a prayer before they left. I respectfully listened to the prayers while I was visiting and might silently say amen if I felt the prayer was appropriate for my mom.

I'm just curious, how would you handle this type of situation?

• Sulla
    Sulla

Not in my house, no.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Not a chance..

JW`s support the Genocide of Anyone not a JW..

They can Kiss my Asp!..

............................ ...OUTLAW

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

i leave the room/avoid the prayer. if i can't i patiently wait for them to finish, eyes open.

my mom spoiled santa claus for me, the least i can do is spoil god for her lol

• undercover
    undercover

I'm in the room during JW prayers from time to time. I remain silent but don't bow my head nor close my eyes. I do not say 'amen' at the end.

It's no different than if my Baptist relatives or friends of other denominations share in prayer. I remain respectfully silent and wait patiently for them to finish. No need to make a scene about it.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Not sure how you could silently say "amen"... You mean, in your head? God cannot read minds, because.... Well, let's just say that Santa is not the only imaginary being ever created from the imagination of men.

But you've got to pick your battles here...

I have said "amen" for a one-on-one prayer, and the person saying the prayer even admitted that it was odd praying out loud when they knew I didn't believe in it. But saying "I agree" (amen) was more out of respect that they believed in it, and didn't convey that I agreed with the RITUAL, or supported it, but did support the intent of their message. They knew that, so I wasn't just simply enabling their neuroses...

If it's a group who may not know about my beliefs, I bow my head out of respect, and don't close my eyes, don't say 'amen'. There's no point in being disrespectful...

I think of it as similar to standing during the flag salute: JWs don't repeat the words, they don't place their hand over their heart, but they also don't disrespect the pledge of allegiance: they just stand there, they just don't participate.

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

I would not create a scene about it being said, but I'd never say Amen. My mom's memorial service took place recently and I didn't even say amen then. It's a false religion. Just my opinion.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

I would respectfully listen quietly if the circumstances suggested it was the right thing to do. I would only say "Amen!" if I agreed with every word, not likely.

I didn't usually agree with every word of every JW prayer when I was a Tru-Believer TM

• Lied2NoMore
    Lied2NoMore

Stopped bowing my head and saying amen almost a year ago. Just had DC. never clapped once never opened a bible once never sang one word of any song. Got CO this week gonna continue same routine! Starting to have more conversations with some heavies.. voicing my concerns about russel, Rutherford, policies, doctrines, I'm surprised what I'm getting away with I think leadership has its tail between it's legs afraid of more lawsuits!

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Yes, if I agreed with what was said. If they pray for God's guidance in Jesus name, why not?

They are the ones who will refuse to pray with me or say amen to my prayers, regardless if they agree or not with the content.

The same with their literature. I will receive it and read it, but they on the contrary will refuse the literature I offer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit