What scripture bothered your concious?

by stillhurts 39 Replies latest jw friends

• kimbo
    kimbo

The governing body is

the evil slave

• irondork
    irondork

Welcome to the board Stillhurts. Your determination to arrive at scriptural truth saved you from that cult. The JW, along with most other religions, have a long habit of bending scripture to suit their own purposes. This is the one that was used on me my whole life, and with great success for the first 30 years to PROVE I had chosen to be gay.

"The bible SAYS you chose this filth!"

"No dad. I never chose to be gay." But despite the fact that I knew I was attracted to other boys from my earliest memories, I couldn't get around this scripture telling me I chose to be the abomination I was.

That is why God gave them up to disgraceful sexual appetites, for both their females changed the natural use of themselves into one contrary to nature; and likewise even the males left the natural use of the female and became violently inflamed in their lust toward one another, males with males, working what is obscene and receiving in themselves the full recompense, which was due for their error. - Romans 1:26,27

It took me 30+ years to figure out this scripture was not describing the process homosexuals take in order to "become" homosexuals, rather, it is describing the behavior of what some heterosexuals have done in violation of their own sexual orientaion. What kind of male has a natural use for a female? This scripture could not possibly have been referring to me or any other homosexual as I understand homosexuals to be, because I never HAD this "naturural use of a female" and could, therefore, never leave it. This scripture was never about homosexuals. It is about heterosexuals pursuing disgraceful sexual appetites. It would be just as disgraceful if a gay man "left the natural use of another man and became violently inflamed in his lust toward a female, working what is obscene, and receiving in himself the full recompense which would be due for his error."

• BroMac
    BroMac

Acts 11:26 "and, after he found him, he brought him to Antioch. It thus came about that for a whole year they gathered together with them in the congregation and taught quite a crowd, and it was first in Antioch that the disciples were by divine providence called Christians.

in 1931 Bro Jo "Da Judge" Rutherford adopted the name "Jehovah's Witnesses". Which was a change from "Bible Students".

A.H Macmillan stated in his book Faith On The March that he had no doubt that Bro Rutherford got this change from God.

Hmm Really???

I can accept that IF God had also told Da Judge to build a big house in San Diego called Beth Sarim in 1929 to accomodate the Ancient Worthies mentioned at Hebrews 11,( Abraham, David, Isaac, Jacob, Samson, Moses, Gideon, Barak, Jephthae, Samuel) after their earthly ressurection , so that they had somewere to live while being in charge of Gods Kingdom on Earth. And while they are at it, a couple of chaufered 16cyl Cadillacs to help them get around.

http://www.quotes-watchtower.co.uk/beth_sarim.html

And then sell it in 1947.... er ok

How about they build another down the road called Beth Shan in 1939 10yrs after Beth Sarim. take a look its HUGE:

http://www.seanet.com/~raines/bethshan.html

Now why would ressurected perfect humans administrating Gods Kingdom on Earth have any need for a bomb shelter?

Or how about I dont believe a thing that came out of the mans mouth. Therefore not one word he spoke was Jehovah's.

Deuteronomy 18:20-22: “‘However, the prophet who presumes to speak in my name a word that I have not commanded him to speak or who speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet must die. And in case you should say in your heart: “How shall we know the word that Jehovah has not spoken?” when the prophet speaks in the name of Jehovah and the word does not occur or come true, that is the word that Jehovah did not speak. With presumptuousness the prophet spoke it. You must not get frightened at him.’

It's all a big joke and they got 4 generations of my family.

• SophieG
    SophieG

I am sure I have many scriptures that have bothered my conscience, but I know one really bothered my heart, especially since I was living in an abusive JW marriage.

1 Corinthians 7:10-11

“To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband. 11 But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife.”

I would always try to picture in my mind being in the first century congregation hearing this said…while I could appreciate (regardless of the 3 absolutely scripturally contrived reasons why the WTS says you can separate from your mate) the provision to separate, I thought it was unfair. What if the marriage has been completely decimated by the abuse? Now the abused mate has to remain by themselves because going back to the abuser would be worse in their eyes? No hope for a chance at a new relationship where they may find happiness?….that struck me to the core…it’s still does and is a very sore spot…not sure how I feel about Paul…hmmm

Here is another: Luke 20:34-38

34 Jesus said to them: “The children of this system of things marry and are given in marriage, 35 but those who have been counted worthy of gaining that system of things and the resurrection from the dead neither marry nor are given in marriage. 36 In fact, neither can they die anymore, for they are like the angels, and they are God’s children by being children of the resurrection.

OK! Huuuuh? I remember as a young JW always thinking that my parents would be together in the New System (my father died). Then when I read this I think my brain exploded. I have read it many times and I still have issues with it. At some point, I guess I just accepted that Jehovah “will provide” and “fulfill the heart’s desire or every living creature”…

Which leads me to 2 scriptures I would DRIVE JWs nuts with…even elder friends (LOL)

Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is more treacherous than anything else and is desperate. Who can know it?

Psalms 145: 16 You are opening your hand… And satisfying the desire of every living thing.

Now, I vaguely remember a talk where the brother inserted ‘ “heart’s” desire’ and I thought it was hilarious. I would drive folks nuts with the reasoning that if my heart is supposed to be treacherous then WHY would Jehovah satisfy ratchetness??? <Evil grin> Needless to say, most folks just shook their heads/rolled their eyes and walked away.

Matthew 24: 12 “ ….and because of the increasing of lawlessness the love of the greater number will cool off …”

Sometimes I’d wonder if this was referring to the JWs. The verses proceeding and after this, I have always understood to refer to JWs…concerning persecution and preaching. Plus the only time “great” “number” (crowd) is ever used it was to specify JWs… being the ones to survive Armageddon. I always thought it was convenient that they turned it back on worldly folks at this particular scripture….hmmm

• SAHS
    SAHS

At 1 Samuel 6:19 where Jehovah killed 70 people just for looking at the Ark of the Covenant when it went by. Even if presumably they would evenually be resurrected, in my opionion this was a gross disrespect for human life by a god who supposedly is fair.

"But God struck down some of the men of Beth Shemesh, putting seventy [1] of them to death because they had looked into the ark of the LORD. The people mourned because of the heavy blow the LORD had dealt them." - 1 Sam 6:19 [NIV]

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

SAHS said:

At 1 Samuel 6:19 where Jehovah killed 70 people just for looking at the Ark of the Covenant when it went by. Even if presumably they would evenually be resurrected, in my opionion this was a gross disrespect for human life by a god who supposedly is fair.

"But God struck down some of the men of Beth Shemesh, putting seventy [1] of them to death because they had looked into the ark of the LORD. The people mourned because of the heavy blow the LORD had dealt them." - 1 Sam 6:19 [NIV]

Ah, you missed an important detail: they didn't just look AT it, they looked INSIDE of it (and presumably saw that it was EMPTY, like Dorothy's look behind the curtain in Wizard of Oz). How DARE they!?!? Off with their heads! :)

• clarity
    clarity

"Ah, you missed an important detail: they didn't just look AT it, they looked INSIDE of it (and presumably saw that it was EMPTY, like Dorothy's look behind the curtain in Wizard of Oz). How DARE they!?!? Off with their heads! :)"

>

Hmmmm ... I'm impressed ... never saw that before!

Thanx for the insight KingSolomon

clarity

• justmom
    justmom

LOTS

1 Thessalonians 4: 15-17 That the first resurrection already began in about 1918. BULL! Verses say, "The (annointed) that are alive when the lord returns do NOT precede those who have fallen asleep in death. They who are alive (twinkle) with the resurrected and MEET the Lord in the air. TOGETHER!!!!!!

2. Revelation 20:4-6 Describes the first resurrection. verse 5 slips in and says "the rest of the dead did not come to life UNTIL the thousand years were ended. They are not resurrected randomly into paradise during the 1,000 year reign and come to life (in perfection). Revelation20: 12&13. General resurrection AFTER thousand years.

3. That only 144,000 partake of the bread and wine. John 6: 31-59..... 1Corinthians 10:1-5 ALL ate the manna and drank from the rock-mass. If you want forgiveness, eternal life in paradise, a resurrection, to be in union, to have the free gift (holy spirit) ANYBODY/ALL can have it!!!! If they eat and drink....

I can go on and on and on but..........

so can others I'm sure!

Justmom

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

The scriptures that dug into my heels were the basic foundings of Christianity. I was tired of being used like a public restroom, friends calling all hours of day, to dump their "monkeys" on my back. Therapist are paid $150-$400 per hour to listen to non-spiritual problems, people yacked, complained and moaned of problems that were self-inflicted! If we were really infused with true Christian love, the kind that broke down empires, I doubt JWN would exist. You could handle some of the crazy doctrinal explanations, as long as you were in Christ's love.

Almost 99% of the problems spouses complained about their mates, hateful actions done by other dubs, lies and cheaters, adultry, could be killed by obeying these scriptures that elludes the thinkings and practices of most Witnesses. A vast majority of Witnesses do not know how to show real Christian love to one another. They believe real Christian love is driving around in Field Service all day. Pushing out more books, tracts and buring up gas money!

John 13:34-35:

"34 So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. 35 Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples."

Luke 6:35 "But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked." No Room For Hatred Here!

Romans 12:9 "Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good!" No room for pedophiles here!

The Love Verses "1 Cor 13: 4-8"

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away

• Farkel
    Farkel

Revelation 21:3,4, the biggest fraud ever perpetuated on gullible cult book/magazine salesmen by an uncaring religious printing Corporation in the history of the modern world.

Even Adolf Hitler with his massive propaganda machine never dared offer that ridiculous and unrealistic hope to his masses of true believers.

"You will never die," they said. "Trust us." Then they died.

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit