What scripture bothered your concious?

by stillhurts 39 Replies latest jw friends

• stillhurts
    stillhurts

I'm new here. I have been out 3 years. I was baptized, never DF'd. Ignored the 2 or 3 phone calls from the elders, and then they left me alone. I guess from I read here, I would be considered a fader. I faded because I had so many problems with the presentation of scriptures. So many scriptures could not just be read and understood at face value. Rather they had to explained," in context". I felt in my heart that there were so many explanations that I just could not stomach.

I could not stomach how they were explained in the literature. I could not stomach how they were explained from the stage. I could not bring myself to use those same explanations when trying to teach new ones.

I spent so much time thinking that I would eventually "get it", that the explanations would make sense. That everone else around me, my brothers and sisters, are not doubting this, why am I? Maybe I need to study more, or rely on God's Spirit more. Maybe I am just dumb.

But the more research I did, the more the pieces did not fit. I guess to me it seemed like a crossword puzzle. Where you are looking for words, and the word you come up with some that seem to fit perfectly. But as you start putting more words in the boxes, you realize a lot of the ones you did first were wrong. You have to go back and change them before you could finish the puzzle.

So when I figured out so many of parts of the puzzle were wrong, I left.

I guess I will share just one of the scriptures that bothered me. Rev 1:7, where Jesus return is decribed as being visibile to all "every eye will see him". The "eye of understanding" made no sense to me. The scripture did not say "everyone will sense he has returned" or in any way make it seem that his return was invisible. It says he will be seen by every person living on the face of the earth, with their own two eyes.

So that was a biggy for me, along with about a hundred more. And so I wondered if you could share some you had difficulty with, so I can see if my thinking was in line with others that decided they needed to leave too.

I don't have a lot of contact with my family now. They don't have a lot to do with me. I am not living an immoral life. I love God with all my heart, even though they tell me my stopping is proof that "i don't love Jehovah anymore". Boy did that hurt the first time they said it, and it still cuts me up every time. Nothing could be further from the truth. Ha. Just like that organization. :)

Thanks,

Stillhurts

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Hey welcome to the forum stillhurts

One thing you have to realize is that like many other Christian based faiths the leaders of these faiths selectively take and exploit scriptures at will to

support their own self expressed doctrines, which in the case of the WTS/JWS was intensionally devised to attract attention to the WTS's

published works. Much of the WTS/JWS doctrines particularly from its very beginning were devised with that direct intension in mind,

more for commercial aspirations rather than extrapolating true understanding of bible Scripture.

The common act in which the WTS. does is to take a Scripture out of context and create their own interpretation to that Scripture keeping all in mind

their designation as a publishing house and their own position as writing editors to the WTS.

The return of Christ or the heavenly positioning in 1914 is just but one example of the many lies and deceptions from this religious publishing house.

The WTS. has been an exercise of exploitation from the bible and the set in place public belief in the bible.

It really was a man made individualistic work of self empowerment as well a cultivation of money.

Fortunately for all concerned " The Truth " is catching up to this illicit organization and I believe its existence is now starting to crumble.

• Quandry
    Quandry

Welcome to the forum.

I felt the same way.

I remember looking at others in the KHall when the "generation" was changed in 1995 to "the contemporaries at the time of the end" or something to that effect after years and years of telling people at the doors that the generation who saw 1914 wouldn't pass off the scene. I can only imagine hearing that it was "overlapping generations" when the changed it to that...I was out by then. Yes, I thought I was spiritually weak because I couldn't understand the gobbledy-gook back and forth stuff they tried to sell.

So sorry that your family is willing to distance themselves because you have dared to think.

"Better to have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question."

• Kool Jo
    Kool Jo

Welcome aboard!

I'm glad you took the time out to prove for yourself that what the WTBS said and their interpretation of certain scriptures was just plain wrong!

Kool Jo

• clarity
    clarity

Stillhurts welcome here... good question,,,,

A whole lot of it started to bother my conscience ... so many scriptures on gossip & slander

and yet I had never heard so much of that kind of crap before ... until joining the wt!!

>

Scriptures used for the puffed up idea that only jehovah's witnesses would not die ..really stuck in my craw!

>

Now the whole organization is a great embarrassment!

<

Tell us more about your story (don't use specifics - for your own privacy)

clarity

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

the scriptures on love and friendship, as well as what clarity mentioned about gossip and slander. seemed like everyone used the, 'well we're imperfect' excuse to do as they please and that bothered me. there's genuine people of all faiths and we act no different than they do.they genuinely believe they are doing right by god and that we're wrong. so why would god kill them?

the friendship and love only existed if you were one of the more popular people. and that goes for people of all ages. watching what the people do after the meetings is interesting. everyone goes to their group and those without a group either leave right away or kinda stand their looking lost and paralyzed. how discouraging. how...unloving.

i really felt bad for those people but...who am i kidding? well there really weren't any new ones my age in my hall and i only had a couple guys my age so we were in our own little world.

• designs
    designs

John 11 was debated endlessly on the evangelical-jw web site run by rob Bowman. The 'Generation' passage from Matthew and its 1995 interpretation was when another large group of jws left the organization. After I left and studied Judaism the passage in that says- 'let his blood be upon us' was a huge turning point in realizing the NT was full of crap.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Welcome stillhurting!

For me it was the scriptures on the flood. The more I researched the more I saw the impossiblility of a world wide flood. That led to researching scriptures in the creation account. The literal interpretation of the book of Genesis fell apart.

NC

• Nambo
    Nambo

Even from before I was Baptised, I could never convince myself that the climax of the book of Daniel, the most happyfying event the Angel could reveal was.........the 1922 Cedar point assembly that nobody nowadays even remembers.

Further consideration of the above reveals their whole claim to have been appointed in 1919 rests on the above interpretation of scripture.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

All scriptures bother my conscious now because the actual truth in why and how the words in the bible were written in the first place

is rarely discussed in a rational open manner, pertaining to the ancient culture and civilization where those written words originated from.

The WTS. is just another of many examples of charlatanism in a country that legally allows charlatanism.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit