What scripture bothered your concious?

by stillhurts 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Splash
    Splash

(Revelation 14:8) And another, a second angel, followed, saying: “She has fallen! Babylon the Great has fallen"

Even as a pre-teen I read and repeated this, but I looked around and saw that 'Babylon' had not fallen, she was still here.

So on one side I was being told she had fallen in 1919, but with my eyes and ears I saw this was not true.

I held that contradiction with me for decades before other anomalies and changes convinced me it was simply wishful thinking being forced as a substitute for truth.

Splash.

• ZeusRocks
    ZeusRocks

The first scripture I ever had a problem with was in the gospels when Jesus went to the wedding and his mother mentioned about the wine and he turned to her as said, "what am I to do with you, woman". I did bring it up to an elder once, and even when he tried to put it in context for me, I didn't buy it.
    I would never speak to my mother like that under any circumstance. It was the first time I realised that the Jesus character was an arrogant prick. Years later when I read the gospels over again and again just on their own, I realised how mentally unstable this character of Jesus was.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

When we went through the Revalation book for the umpfthteen time. I decided to change it up by doing extra research to prove there point. After chapter three I stopped doing that because the more I learned the more douts I got, so I just underlinded the answer they wanted.... waaaa I should have woken up

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

oops and welcome stillhurts

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

BTW, the term is 'conscience', i.e. one's inner sense of right and wrong (morality); not 'conscious', which implies awareness (which relates to brain function: if you drink yourself unconscious, the brain function is depressed to the point where you lose consciousness and "pass out"). The former has a moral implication, while the latter doesn't.

You'll see why that is important in a bit!

Heh, Stillhurts dropped one of the phrases that got me thinking, probably without even realizing it:

I love God with all my heart

The Hebrews (and later, Greeks) actually believed the organ of thought and cognition was the HEART, and NOT the brain (as well all know today). In fact, ancient men before 300 BC in almost all cultures sincerely believed that the organs of thinking, emotions, making decisions, etc. were all found in the TORSO, NOT the head (i.e. the brain). So that phrase really should be interpreted as "I love God with all my brain (conscious thought)".

In fact, the romantic notion of feeling love in the heart was after Hebrew times, as they believed emotions were centered NOT in the heart, but the KIDNEYS. So when an Israelite boy wanted to express his love, he wouldn't send a heart symbol, but a kidney-shaped object (that's just an example for education purposes, to make it easier to follow).

Funny thing is YHWH Himself is quoted in Genesis referring to "evil THOUGHTS in the hearts of men" (Gen 8:21). Bible/Torah scholars quietly acknowledge that ancient Hebrews believed it as truth, as even a few famous Greeks did (Aristotle was famously WRONG in believing that men thought with their hearts; you can review his reasoning, and he had good rationale, but nevertheless, he WAS wrong). It wasn't until the Hippocrates school worked with patients with head injuries circa 300BC that they confirmed the role of the brain for thought.

Further, Hebrews believed the kidneys were also the organs of decision-making, NOT organs for urine formation (excretion). They thought you had two kidneys, lone good and one bad (like the good angel/bad demon one each shoulder, debating over which way to decide). That's the reason why kidneys and their fats were prized by Hebrews as GUILT offerings after making a poor decision.

The problem is, why would YHWH, the supposed creator of mankind, NOT understand basic human anatomy and physiology? Why would He create rituals based on misunderstood roles of the organs? Why would the Bible not mention the brain EVEN ONCE, the supposed pinnacle of his creation, giving man his superior reasoning capabilities? Why would He allow credit to be given to a muscle instead?

Answer: He wouldn't. The Bible was written by men who weren't Divinely-Inspired (no more than the GB has Holy Spirit guiding their path). They went with the best science available in their day, and unfortunately for them, it was FLAWED.

Some say, "well, it's just a figure of speech"! No, it was believed as literal truth at the time the Bible was written: that's the point. It was only after 3,000 yrs of improper usage in the Bible, with men's understanding of science offering the truth later, that the words were kept, but known NOT as literal truths, but accepted as a figure of speech.

Worse is, recent translations of the Bible have tried to cover up the error, by loosely translating the original Hebrew words so they don't reveal God's ignorance. THAT'S a crime, lying to protect God, and is just as bad as WT's attempts to protect their lies.

• jam
    jam

Welcome, Rev.14:4 The 144000. It is these who have

not defiled themselves with women, for they are chaste.

vs.5 and in their mouth no lies was found, for they are

spotless. The only person that I ever heard of that fit that

description was Jesus.

• mythreesons
    mythreesons

Hello Stillhurts. Here are some I had trouble with...

John 8:32 - "Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." I never felt free...then they would say 'free from false religious teachings'. Yeah, that just didn't make sense. If that was freedom, what would it feel like to be enslaved?

Luke 23:43 - their definition of where the comma goes...they even say there was no punctuation back then. But, they sure do know where the comma went? Everyone else has the comma before 'today' and they have it afterward. "Truly I tell you today you will be with me in paradise."

Matt 28:18 - "all authority has been given me in heaven and on earth" - Jesus before he ascended...then he had to wait 1881 years or so (until 1914) to recieve the authority he said he already had.

These are just a few.

• mythreesons
    mythreesons

Oh, one more was when I gave the 'Memorial Talk' and it was the lack of a scripture that bothered my conscience. There was no basis I could find for 'observing' the Lord's Evening Meal and not 'partaking'. There was nothing in scriptures that said you would have 'everlasting life if you didn't partake'.

• clarity
    clarity

Still .... not a scripture buuuttt this always really bothered me ---->

whenever I spoke to worldlies people about spiritual watchtower things,

in the back of my mind I knew those minutes would be calculated & recorded...

omg how shallow could we get!!

Writing down how much time we spent talking!

How much time we talked to our children about all that stupid stuff!!

So much for sincereity!!! So much for integrity!

If all those people only knew THEY were our target for providing those minutes,

and in many cases ....not much else!!

Makes me feel just sick!

sorry for the rant

clarity

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Clarity,

All acts of Xian charity carry that little cloud of taint, as being required by Jesus and not performed simply out of the kindness of one's heart, but out of fear of punishment (if they don't) or promise of reward (if they do). It truly devalues the value of such acts of "charity".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit