For those in any doubt that the Society is at war with Facebook...

by cedars 40 Replies latest watchtower bible

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

As if the witlesses don't also have reams of data on everyone. They do a street, they record everyone on that street. Every house and every door has a number that reaches the congregation hounders. If a person is not home, it gets logged. If someone is not interested, it gets logged. You find the tiniest of interest, that too gets logged so someone else can reach the householder at a later time (usually before the moon has had a chance to square or oppose the sign it was in during the initial call). Someone takes something, they gather that information so they can use it to scam the victim into the cancer.

Then, if someone obviously doesn't want to join, that too is logged. Someone will call back on them every year to harass them into joining the cancer, no matter how insistent the person is that they never want to be called on because they know it's a scam or because they simply wish to live their own lives without constant pressure to join a religion. Every year or so, they will be hounded into joining the cancer.

At least with Facebook or those other sites, you have to sign up before they can get a pixel of data about you.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Well, at least they aren't being stupid about it and suing facebook or anything like that. All they are doing is creating a new taboo for Witnesses to feel guilty about.

This information age is going to wreak havoc with the WTBTS.

• Quendi
    Quendi

I absolutely refuse to have a Facebook account because of confidentiality issues which have never been resolved to my satisfaction. And, as others have pointed out, the WTS isn't the only organization that "is at war with Facebook". Plenty of other people and organizations think it is anathema as well. There are other ways of staying in touch with friends and family besides using this social network and I prefer using those.

Quendi

• vanyell
    vanyell

I think for the individual, common sense should rule whether or not to post something to a public forum like FB. Unfortunately, common sense seems to be an extinct specie nowadays.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I think its good advise to not put up too much of your personal information on Facebook or any other open social net-work for that matter.

The WTS has gone a bit too far though, sort like stretching out their power and control over people like they usually do.

I still think to the WTS., Facebook is a possible means of their members commutating with people who they do not want them

communicating with ie. non-jws (worldlies)

• donuthole
    donuthole

This is typical Watchtower. They float a negative article in "Watchting the World" (or whatever it is called now) about a pet-peeve. The congregation picks up on Mother's "disproval" and backs away.

For example, one time I decided to research what the WT had to say about beards. I actually found little direct condemnation. There were a few of these little news blurbs about beards being dangerous on jobs or not considered proffesional by some company.

Also, when I was a child, a single small mention of "Garbage Pail Kids" in the back on an Awake! prompted our parents to make us throw them away.

• Scott77
    Scott77

The Watchtower Jehovah's Witnesses Society is a modern contradiction of itself in many ways. Sometimes, Jesus as amodel example, is depicted as having beards. The same is true in many of the society's literatures.

Scott77

• sir82
    sir82

The Society's primary problem with Facebook, as far as I can tell, is that JWs are keeping in touch with DF'ed friends and relatives. Somehow JWs are able to rationalize that Facebook doesn't count as "associating" and thus is OK.

Their 2nd primary concern is that JWs, like a lot of non-JWs, are using FB to catch up with "old flames" and beginning relationships with them, leading to "fornication" and adultery.

And, as far as I can tell, JWs are gleefully ignoring everything the Society is saying about Facebook, particularly those under age 30 or so.

It must be driving the big dogs nuts. Hence, the passive-aggressive attack that is the Society's usual MO ("See how we are trying to protect you from that big bad Facebook?")

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Sir82:

• silentlamb_silent_no_more
    silentlamb_silent_no_more

WTBTS getting scared now. The fact that millions of apostates are on there and they don't want their members to find out the real truth. Instead of flat out saying don't go on the site because of apostates, they use something else to sort of scare their slaves into not going onto it at all. If they were to say don't go on there then the logic would be that they would. Because it is human nature to be curious about how bad a site can be. And of course to rebel. I for one have a facebook account, to keep in touch with friends and family across the globe. Does the Governing Body think that people are stupid enough to give out sensitive information ? There are some idiots but surely not everyone is.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit