"Dress Code" for JW Funeral / Memorial Service

by Honeybadger 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Honeybadger
    Honeybadger

So, I'm attending a funeral for someone that was in the local congregation today.

I told my mom what I planned on wearing- a cute, dark grey blouse and some nicely tailored black pants. She just about lost it.

Mom- "You can't wear pants, it's at the KINGDOM HALL!!!"

Me- "And what does that have to do with anything?"

Mom- "Well, I guess you could, but you would feel so awkward and uncomfortable. It's at the Kingdom Hall! Just wear a meeting dress."

Me- "Ok, mom."

Is this typically the case for a funeral held at the kingdom hall?

I swear, I've seen members of the congregation wearing pants frequently. I'm just going to point out everyone I see wearing pants (that is a woman) to my mom, and make comments to her about it.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

I have never seen a JW sister wear pants in the KH except cleaning the hall. I was a dub since birth for many years.

• puffthedragon
    puffthedragon

If women wore pants they might start thinking for themselves. And no one wants that!

• FreeGirl2006
    FreeGirl2006

I was a Dub most of my life and never saw a woman wearing pants to a meeting or funeral. I think a woman would have been burned at the stake for that fashion faux pas.

I say wear what you feel comfortable in and that is respectful. Pant suits cover more than dresses do.

• Honeybadger
    Honeybadger

Allcool, I'm a born-in too, but I just thought I remembered seeing that when I was younger. Maybe I'm just going insane... it's highly probable.

Well, I'm just wearing a dress. Even though my original outfit is definitely more respectful. Don't want to rock the boat or seem like I'm "murmuring".

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Wear a Dress..

Go Goth..

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/87/Lady_Amaranth.jpg/200px-Lady_Amaranth.jpg

........................ mutley-ani1.gif image by GeneralWaco...OUTLAW

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Ready for the..

Kingdom Hall..

........................ mutley-ani1.gif image by GeneralWaco...OUTLAW

• wasblind
    wasblind

Good afternoon Outlaw,

I thought you were laid up wit a babe, some beer, and a bucket of chicken

I keep forgettin' about the time zone

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

I've worn pants suits to the hall for weddings as a JW, no one said anything. One of the last funerals i went to as an ex JW I wore a black and white pinstripe pants suit. I didn't feel uncomfortable not wearing a dress, I was looking cute!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I wore pants to my jw grandmother's memorial. No one said a word to me about it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit