"Dress Code" for JW Funeral / Memorial Service

by Honeybadger 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Sheep2slaughter
    Sheep2slaughter

We all know women wearing pants is frowned upon. The reasoning and "scriptural support" is ridiculous. Women should wear whatever they choose that is respectful of the occasion. I personally find some women that wears a pant suit well very sexy. Preferably with heels. Pants don't make you manly. They are just pants. I know elders wives that wear shirts that are completely sheer on the back and you can see their bra straps thru it. Again...kinda sexy but much more disrespectful than pants could ever be.

• Resistance is Futile
    Resistance is Futile

Wear the pants. When questioned about it act curious, "Does the Bible say anything about women in pants"? If someone claims that pants aren't modest enough, you could politefully disagree while pointing out that you feel that they are modest and respectful.

The fact that someone would freak out about a women wearing pants shows the dangerous amount of conformity JW's are under.

• zeb
    zeb

didnt biblical clothes look unisex anyway?

The only thing about jwfunerals is that people never shut up as in regular meetings. They chatter on like demented typewriters and have to be told to sit down.

Jw have not one skillionth sense of reverence.

• biometrics
    biometrics

Wear something bright and cheerful. After all, JWs at funerals don't seem to like mourning.

• Honeybadger
    Honeybadger

Update: I went in a black dress. There was one baptized sister (that I saw- I was in the front) that was wearing pants. My sister, who had heard my mom and I earlier, looked at me with the silliest face and whispered "PANTS!" That was the best part. Actually, the funeral talk in itself wasn't too bad. There was a lot more about the man's personal life and less convert-recruiting than what would typically be included.

Oh, and Outlaw, you always have the best pictures! Haha, I should have gone completely goth... at least I wouldn't be wearing *gasp* pants!

• finally awake
    finally awake

I made the mistake of wearing pants to the hall once - I was pregnant and I didn't have much to wear, and the pants were comfortable. I was just a study, but boy could I tell I had done wrong.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

What would Hillary do?

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I went to a JW funeral a few weeks ago and I wore pants.

I did it to show that I wasn't following JW rules anymore. They were dressy pants that quite loose so they may had even given the appearance of being a skirt. Paired them with a pair of dressy court shoes.

The funeral was for a JW who had more non-JW friends than JWs so anyone that didn't know me may had assumed I was a non-JW anyway.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I knew the most conservative JW family on the face of the earth. Seriously---stories about these people are epic. I considered them amish/jw's.

Anyway---they told me that at some point in the 70's, the org allowed women to wear pants for a while. They had a lot of rules, but the problem was that the styles in the stores were too short. (maybe it was 60's---mini skirts). Anyway, the sisters could not find modest skirts anywhere.

This family, of course, would not have accepted such a thing--so the mother chose to sew skirts for all three daughters.

Don't know how widespread it was, and I wasn't there to witness it firsthand. That's just what I was told.

NC

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Well, I just tried to quickly research it---I put women pants in the search box. As always, I was rewarded with a delightful tidbit. Not on topic, but wanted to share.

g734/22p.16ProtectYourselffromCrime

Style of dress can also contribute to rape. As to women being raped in a large city, one detective says: “If you ask me, they invite it. They wear those see-through blouses and skimpy skirts.” An airline stewardess who keeps an apartment in New York city implied that clothing contributes to assault when she said: ‘“You can’t even wear hot pants here, because men try to rape you.” Modest apparel is becoming to a lady; in today’s sex-mad world it is also “sensible.”

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit