Batman Shooting

by turtleturtle 49 Replies latest social current

• Sheep2slaughter
    Sheep2slaughter

Maaaannnn....Colorado is all over the news lately for all the WRONG reasons....so sad for all those directly affect and for our dear home state.

• glenster
  • Glander
    Glander

As james said.

It should be obvious to everyone that the death penalty has been nuetralized (thanks to the uber-liberal intellectual movement) as a deterrent to 1st degree, cold blooded, pre-meditated murder.

Those states that currently employ the death penalty are overwhelmed with the cost of executing a death sentence that costs millions, after theconviction. There is no end in site for this never ending burden, such as the man in today's slaughter of innocents.

He should be dispatched as quickly as a jury finds him guilty. In this day and age of crime scene video, DNA and other sophisticated methods, not to mention the open confessions of perpetrators (which are often thrown out), it would indicate there is no reason to postpone the execution beyond a few days. This would go a long way towards the ideal of the death penalty being a deterrent. Circumstantial cases could be granted more time.

More importantly, it would provide family and society at large with a feeling that there IS justice.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

(CNN) -- The suspect in the mass shooting at an Aurora, Colorado, movie theater screening of the new Batman film early Friday had colored his hair red and told police he was "the Joker," according to a federal law enforcement source with detailed knowledge of the investigation.

A mug shot of James E. Holmes has not been released. Witnesses to the shooting described him as wearing a gas mask that concealed much of his face and head. But the federal law enforcement source's information about the suspect's appearance fits with a statement from New York Police Commissioner Ray Kelly, who was briefed by Colorado authorities Friday.

The Joker has long been a fixture in Batman comics and was famously brought to life by the late Heath Ledger in 2008's "The Dark Knight," the predecessor to Friday's release of "The Dark Knight Rises." Ledger won a posthumous Academy Award for his sinister portrayal of the iconic villain who encourages anarchists to take over Gotham City.

Meanwhile, authorities were faced with the difficult task of entering Holmes' Aurora apartment, which was left rigged with traps.

"It's booby-trapped with various incendiary and chemical devices and trip wires," Aurora Police Chief Dan Oates said, adding that it could take days to work through the apartment safely.

Sounds to me like he had problems discerning or distinguishing fantasy/fiction with reality.

A terribly bad act of attention getting, a seclusive loner who wanted to draw attention to himself, well I guess you could say he has it now.

For people like this I think the only solution is the death penalty, weighed upon the totality of his actions. ( Timothy McVeigh and alike)

• Flat_Accent
    Flat_Accent

Surprising no one has bitched about the second amendment yet.

And after having watched it tonight, I wouldn't say there's 0 political motivation behind the film (thinking of OWS here). However, it is a very minor segment, just one part of the overall plan of the main antagonist. The film is not about class struggle or economic segregation. In fact, neither of these things are mentioned in the film, and are hardly implied. The brief scenes are merely used as a tool to make the film relevant to the audience and add some realism to the story.

Regardless, a sad day for those families affected by this tragedy.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter
    Does anybody know if Colorado is a death penalty state?

On paper yes; in practice the death sentence is unusual, and actual executions are rare. The most recent execution was 15 years ago.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria
    Sorry. BizzyBee brings out the worst in all of us.

Whoa, that's a reach. What are you, the George to Glander's Lennie??

Glander,

Singapore has the sort of justice system that you advocate . . .

Obviously, the guy who did this is crazy, albeit not necessarily legally insane. There is no doubt that the insanity defense will be considered and utilized if it is even remotely possible to establish. How else could this be defended?

The killer was a recent dropout of medical school. In my lifetime, I have encountered two other individuals who were med school dropouts and who were extremely mentally disturbed. One of them was carrying a cross in front of the business I worked at, pretending to be Jesus, and then getting violent with the large wooden cross he was carrying, smashing it into street signs, buildings, etc, until police would arrive to take him away. He would return a few days later to do the same thing all over again. The other med school dropout whacko I knew was the son of a dentist When I first met him, he started angrily threatening me that I would go to hell "immediately" if I didn't "immediately" accept Jesus Christ as my lord and savior. He is now 40 years old and unable to work or care for himself and has never had a job in his lifetime. His elderly mother is still caring for him as if he's a 10 year old.

I have never experienced medical school, so I have no clue what it's like, but it seems that the pressure is so intense that it causes some students to crack.

• glenster
  • BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

I have never experienced medical school, so I have no clue what it's like, but it seems that the pressure is so intense that it causes some students to crack.

Could be. There is also the fact that certain mental illnesses develop in the early twenties - bi-polar, schizophrenia, etc. A friend's daughter had just graduated university when she began exhibiting odd behaviors and physical manifestations of a rare disorder. She lived in a group home and died of choking a couple of years ago at age 30.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit