FOURTEEN DEAD IN DENVER SHOOTING !

by Phizzy 114 Replies latest social current

• darthfader
    darthfader

I don't know if gun control would have been effective in this case. The suspect had body armor, tear gas and a gas mask in addition to a gun. As I understand it, the body armor and tear gas have some controls around it already.

I'm beginning to think that Americans need 3 things:

1. Education on health care - preventative medicine, diet and exercise
    2. Personal financial management - how to manage you money even if you only have a couple spare dollars per month -- it adds up
    3. Personal defense - Self defense including hand to hand combat and how to use a gun.
  • wasblind
    wasblind

Oh no !!!!! not again

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

it's a bad enough crime when someone shoots 1 person, I can't imagine the innocent carnage of these multiple killings.

totally disgusting.

heard some people uploaded footage, will not watch it

• Quendi
    Quendi

@ Oompa: Don't even try to make a connection between the Aurora shootings and Columbine. It is exactly this kind of ignorant and uninformed commentary that contributes nothing useful to the discussion. Littleton is on the opposite side of Denver from Aurora and the Columbine tragedy was thirteen years ago, committed by two high school students, and was months in the planning. There is no evidence that the Aurora shootings were anything like this. A lone gunman has gone on a murderous rampage. Right now that is all we know.

I lived in Colorado for more than thirty years and have far more familiarity with metropolitan Denver than you have or ever will, evidently. Yes, Littleton and Aurora are only "minutes" apart--if you speed like hell along I-70 that is. Otherwise, you're not talking about some quick and convenient drive from one city to the other. And if you don't travel the freeway, then at least 40 minutes will pass before you cross the distance. The two cities are very, very different. Your words imply that their cultures are the same and so it should come as no surprise that similar tragedies would take place.

Let the police and the courts do their jobs before we draw conclusions about the reasons for this tragedy. A suspect is in custody and the circumstantial evidence found at the scene seems conclusive. Doubtless, as was the case with the Columbine massacre, more details will be revealed as the investigation and subsequent trial unfold. I make no apology for being angry about your comment. I'm hearing the same kind of bullshit from the media in Alabama where I'm currently living--comments from people who have never set foot in Colorado and yet talk like they're experts on the state. I wish they would remain silent or if they must say something limit their remarks to expressing sorrow and pain for this tragedy rather than turning it into something that it isn't.

Quendi

• wasblind
    wasblind

I agree Quendi,

all we have to do is look in our own back yards ( state ) and see that we are not exempt

from this kind of thing

• Quendi
    Quendi

We've had some bad shootings here in Alabama since I returned in April. Last month, a party in the university town of Auburn turned deadly when a young man got into an argument about a young woman with several others. He pulled out a gun and started shooting. When it was over he fled the scene leaving behind three dead and three others wounded. He turned himself in to the authorities two days later and is now awaiting trial. And just this week, in the college town of Tuscaloosa, a lone gunman started shooting in a bar there. Seventeen people were injured, but we were luckier in this instance because nobody died. The gunman also fled but is now in custody.

These two cases are completely unrelated and nobody is linking them together. The state has indicated it will seek the death penalty in the Auburn case. No word yet on what charges will be brought in the Tuscaloosa one. It is so unfortunate that people resort to violence to resolve issues. All of these cases are stirring up the debates about gun control in the country again. I'm not going to address that in this space. I will only say that I don't have any solutions to offer about how to stop people from doing these kinds of things. And, as we saw in Norway last year, just because a country has strict gun control laws doesn't mean that murderers can't commit their crimes.

Quendi

• darthfader
    darthfader

The more I think about it, the more disgusted I am. It seems to me that we put so much effort into building a life ( both physically and socially ) and some nut-job comes out here with minimal effort and brings such chaos and carnage.

So hard to build up, yet so easy to tear down...

• leavingwt
  • whathehadas
    whathehadas

Sorry Quendi, but I'm sure this was planned. Nobody pops up with a set of guns, a face mask, bulletproof vest, and some tear gas in a movie theater after midnight without it being planned. Bad for Colorado to get another tragedy that becomes national news. Why is this being labeled as the "Batman Shooting"? Like a fictional character is the cause of this madness. Now people are going to associate a movie with a terriost villain(Bane) with these murderers.

• wasblind
    wasblind

I'd be a hypocrit to speak out against my right to bear arms

but somethin' definitely needs to be done within reason

I thought it was crazy a couple of years back when one state talked

about allowin guns in bars. That's the last place you would want a gun

Folks do things they regret when in an altered state of mind

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit