Ex-JW Teens Get Screwed Out of College

by dontplaceliterature 25 Replies latest jw friends

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

My kid sister is DFd and can't get Federal Aid because she is still considered a dependant. She lives alone, has no job at the moment, and has no friends. My folks won't give her a dime for college, so she's basically screwed. She can get loans, but can't afford the down payment.

It's a shame that there isn't a mechanism in place to protect kids like this and to give them an opportunity to do something with their life.

• metatron
    metatron

If I was a millionaire, I would start a scholarship fund for any ex-JW - DA'd or DF'd - who had at least a "B" average (excluding Liberal Arts)

Such a fund could create disaster for the Watchtower. Educational incentive for getting disfellowshipped.

metatron

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

She should look into the possibility of becoming an emancipated minor.

• Rocky_Girl
    Rocky_Girl

There are processes in place for students like your sister. She needs to talk to the financial aid office at the college she is pursuing. I was able to get federal financial aid even though I was still officially married to my husband, who makes a lot of money, because the financial aid officer helped me get in touch with the right people to explain my situation. They also helped me get scholarship money. I also got a few private loans and none of them required a down payment. In fact, no student loan has to be paid in any way until 6 months after the student stops attending full-time. Get her in touch with a financial aid person, universities want the tuition and so are motivated to find a solution for any student. Good luck to your sis!!

PM me if you would like to know more of my strategies for financing my education.

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

I emailed some admssions people on her behalf today, hoping to get some leads. I may reach out to you if I start coming up dry. I already talked to the FAFSA people. They shot me down cold.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

My non-jw cousin is a high muckety muck with a major university in the US, and she says there is a way for students like your sister to be declared financially independent from parents. Your sister and others like her have to contact the financial aid office at the college of her choice and get the ball rolling. Also, I've never heard of having to put a down payment on student loans. She could also check out AmeriCorps in her area. Members receive a cash stipend for working in a program, get health insurance, and at the end of every year get a cash bonus or credits to pay tuition and/or student loans.

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

I asked about the emancipated thing in one of my e-mails, so we'll see.

• Rocky_Girl
    Rocky_Girl

I actually had a lot of success getting scholarships when I described the way I was raised and the hostile view of college I call it a win win, money for me and anti-witness to the scholarship committee.

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

I also was offered a scholarship, Rocky_Girl...but I really had to talk my way into it, and I was in an EXTREMELY liberal program. They classified it as a minority scholarship, go figure.

• metatron
    metatron

Join the Army/Military and get benefits, like education.

Get a (real) degree mostly by exams (Excelsior, Charter Oak, and others)

metatron

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit