Ex-JW Teens Get Screwed Out of College

by dontplaceliterature 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Sorry. What do you mean by down payment? If it is a deposit, it can be waived by the college. My college application fees and deposit to keep the spot open were waived. All I had to do was ask for it. Maybe I also had a brief note from a teacher stating that I could not afford it. I don't recall submitting detailed financial info.

I never could have afford the application fees. They are applying rules that make perfect sense for regular students. She has special circumstances that should be recognized. Please be her advocate- which you are already doing.

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

My sister told me that the loan she applied for required a down payment of a few thousand. I also had never heard of that. None of my loans required anything up front.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Something is seriously wrong! Perhaps the "loan" company needs to be reported to officials. I have never heard of such a thing in my entire life.

Her college should be helping her to obtain financing. How could a potential student possibly afford such a move. Wtihout researching it, it sounds as though it may even be criminal.

I would check which Senators and Congresspersons were on the Education Committee and speak with their staff members. It sounds outrageous.

Are they asking for collateral? An example might be putting up some money in case she defaults. This should not be in a student loan. It makes sense in commercial loan. Students rarely have any assets. It sounds as tho no one has flagged your sister as a special case, that involves discretion. Bureaucracies just love to shove everyone together.

It was great that you help the other former Witness. In my case, I was so positive that I wanted college but it was very scary. A law school friend who happened to be black, worked in conjunction with the admissions office to stop targetting a few elite wealthy blacks in the Ivy League. He suggested focusing on equally bright students from traditional black colleges in the South. The school would not be competing for the same bodies as the rest of the top tier schools. Everyone worked so hard, flying all around the country. They were encouraged, giving full financial aid and lving expenses. Everyone loved the idea. Tutoring and other help was promised. Repeated phone calls were made to encourage enrollment. Not one student accepted the package. They were too afraid to come up North.

• Scott77
    Scott77

Great thread. Looks like this is not an isolated accident.

Scott77

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

I did the emancipated minor thing..... wasn't too hard. Just had to prove I payed my bills myself

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Great thread. You guys are the best. I wish we lived closer to a University so we could open our home to ex-JW kids. hummm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit