Newbie - Not ex-JW

by cog_survivor 25 Replies latest jw friends

• cog_survivor
    cog_survivor

I've been lurking on the forum for over a year now. I'm not an ex JW but have some weird connections to the group none the less.

I was raised in the Worldwide Church of God. A lot in common with JWs. No Holidays, no birthdays, no voting, or military service. Medical care and higher "worldly" education were frowned upon and there was constantly the impending end of the world. We were a little different in that we kept the 7th day sabbath, old testament holy days and had one man at the top, Herbert Armstrong. Eventually the organization went bust and I exited and started rebuilding my spiritual life on my terms.

My Mom was the joiner, not my stepdad. Oddly enough, her family went in for religious extremes. One of her brothers took his family into JWs and one of sisters joined with the Mormons. You can imagine what family get togethers were like

I guess the reason I'm finally commenting is simply because of lonelieness. There are so few people who can understand what its like to be involved in an abusive religious group or the struggle it involves to build a life on radically changed expectations and worldviews.

While I wasn't in the Watchtower, I do identify with a lot of the feelings and circumstances of those who left or in the process of leaving.

• Twitch
    Twitch

Welcome to the forum.

Looking forward to comparing notes...;)

• puffthedragon
    puffthedragon

Welcome Cog, glad to have you on board, all are welcome here.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Hello cog_survivor and Welcome!!!

(You have a lot of self-control to have lurked for a year without posting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

It's good to have you here. There are others here who are not or were not JW's, but have family members in the WTB&TS.

I have over the past month or so realized that I've been a part of a cult for the past 20 years!!! It's absolutely mind-boggling.

It's amazing that your family went from Armstrong to both JW's and Mormons.

Good for you to have escaped and glad you're here!!!!!!!!!

RVW

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Welcome. Out of curiosity, is there any forum for those who exited COG? You are more than welcome here, but I tend to wonder why so many ex-JW's are more involved in Internet forums.

I would love to be a fly on the wall at your family's reunion.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Welcome aboard!

It's a shame people are attracted to the simplicity of dualistic, binary (true/false) polarizing thinking, when the reality of the World is there ARE more than two alternatives than black and white, but many colors in between.

Your family example depicts WHY even if the JWs were to close up shop tomorrow, there STILL would be people attracted to different religions offering the same seductive message of over-simplification of complex issues, reducing it's members to an "us vs them" mentality (with an in-group, and the rest of the World as the outsiders)....

Anyway, welcome to the World of living color. :)

• still thinking
    still thinking

Welcome cog.... craziness isn't limited to JW's thats for sure. I am sure you will find the support you need here. Welcome to deprogramming 101.

• Diest
    Diest

OTWO, WW COG is way smaller maybe 400k before it started to decline and if memory serves it was a religion that almost seemed like it had taken its structure from the WTS. They have an organization that goes from small book studies through to circuts and districts. I knew one girl who was raised in the religon and her expierences growing up were strikingly similar.

Welcome COG

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

Welcome cog!

Have you looked into Steve Hassan's work at all? I recommend Combatting Cult Mind Control.

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

Cog, care to share an experience? Did you guys also have to go preaching? I am so curious as to your upbringing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit