The Sandusky Scandal's Possible Impact on the WTS

by Quendi 58 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• james_woods
    james_woods

OK - I guess everybody has seen the NCAA press conference this morning:

In essence, they did NOT give the university of PA the "death penalty". They gave them (I believe) a $60 million dollar fine, excluded them from playoff season and bowl games for four years, and established a complicated set of ethics rules to be followed including an educational program, an outside ethics supervisor, and another outside official to report back on progress to the NCAA.

The president of the NCAA says that they strongly considered the death penalty, as "this was the WORST ETHICAL SPORTS PROGRAM VIOLATION that he could point to in history" - but that they stopped short of ending the sports program for a number of years in favor of a program which would have "immediate corrective measures".

I guess I was a little dissappointed personally - if SMU got a three-year death penalty for the Payoffs and the Porsches - I thought PA should have gotten at least the same for this. But what they got was pretty severe by recent standards.

• undercover
    undercover

I read an opinion piece on this. The Death Penalty would have been too easy actually. Just shut it down for awhile, forget and move on. When it restarts, it gets to pretend that it's a whole new ballgame and that the past is behind and everyone can worship PSU again.

I can see some sense in that to a degree. By allowing the program to continue, but with harsh penalties and no bowl games, etc., and having to be under the NCAA microscope in every facet of their moving forward, it keeps their transgressions fresh in everyone's mind instead of forgetting. Everytime you see a Penn State helmet for the next couple/three years, you're going to remember...and decent people will be sickened by the site.

I hope the NCAA allows players to transfer out without red-shirting/sitting out a year...

• james_woods
    james_woods

Good point, Undercover.

I agree that individual players should not be penalized.

• Refriedtruth
    Refriedtruth

Penn Sate SLAMMED $60 million and other severe penalities

(CBS link won't post google it)

• Quendi
    Quendi

The NCAA had one overriding goal in levying sanctions against Penn State: repairing its own tattered reputation. I believe it is just as callous about abuse victims as PSU was. But it couldn't affort to look the other way this time and had to take measures that would be seen to be exacting and just. I don't disagree with its actions against Penn State, I just question the motive for them.

The NCAA itself is a corrupt, self-serving organization whose history is far from honorable. Criticism against it has been harsh in the recent past and pressure was mounting as various government agencies were closely examining its workings. By lowering the boom on Penn State, the NCAA can begin its own rehabilitation campaign and retain its role as the governing body for intercollegiate athletics. To have done anything less would have set in motion a series of events that could very well have led to its own "death penalty".

Quendi

• mind blown
    mind blown

Things are starting to heat up!!

Between the Sandusky case and the Priest going to Jail..I hope the Governing Body go to prison. That's right. I said it.

http://news.yahoo.com/pa-monsignor-gets-3-6-years-sex-abuse-154117156.html

• Refriedtruth
    Refriedtruth
    Penn State scandal: Where things stand – This Just In - CNN.com ...

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/31/penn-state-scandal-where-things-stand/ CLICK HERE 12 hours ago – The Penn Statefootball team on Saturday will start its first season since former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky was found guilty of ...

Lawsuits

Penn State already has been named in several civil lawsuits, and more are possible. The latest lawsuit, filed in August by a man authorities called "Victim 1," accuses the school of concealing the abuse. The first suit, filed against the school, Sandusky and the charity that Sandusky founded for disadvantaged youths, The Second Mile, was filed in November.

Penn State's primary general liability insurer, the Pennsylvania Manufacturer's Association Insurance Co., has been fighting the school in court, saying it shouldn't have to cover claims relating to the scandal. The company alleges the school did not provide it with timely information about Sandusky's behavior relevant to the insurable risk the association assumed.

The university has said it believes it has sufficient resources and insurance coverage to address "the financial obligations which may arise from known and expected litigation and claims as well as other costs associated with recent events.” The school’s president has said that no tuition, state or philanthropic money will be used to pay costs relating to the Sandusky matter, including legal defense or public relations efforts.

Department of Education investigation

The U.S. Department of Education is investigating Penn State's compliance with the Clery Act, a federal law that requires universities to report crimes on or near campus and provide timely warnings if reported crimes threaten the campus community.

The law carries fines of up to $27,500 per violation. Schools that fail to comply with the Clery Act also can be suspended from the federal financial aid program, according to the Department of Education

• Refriedtruth
    Refriedtruth

Sue Watchtower

JW SEXUAL ABUSE LAWYER

http://www.zalkin.com/Sexual_Abuse/Jehovahs_Witness_Abuse.aspx

Attorney Anderson Advocates

http://www.andersonadvocates.com/default.aspx

Love and Norris can help
    with your legal case

http://www.lovenorris.com/

Rick Simons (won $28 million case) : text and cell 510-917-2169 office 510- 582-1080x19 email rick @fjslaw.com (quote borrowed from companion thread) The "A Team" is with Rick Simons. He works with a 'network of attorneys' for such cases with experience for 20 years. Many of these have worked on cases involving the Catholic Church issues and other groups. When there was any loss in the past, they learned. They are well aware of the 'religion' rights and know how to separate 'religion' policy out of this real issue.

• talesin
    talesin

Kim Norris has settled a lot of cases and working hard for us for quite some time now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit