The Sandusky Scandal's Possible Impact on the WTS

by Quendi 58 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Quendi
    Quendi

I hope the powers-that-be in Brooklyn are paying close attention to what is happening in State College, Pennsylvania with respect to the hideous pedophile scandal at Penn State University because it speaks directly to their own handling of pedophilia. Here is a news release about the matter:

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) -- Penn State's investigation into the Jerry Sandusky scandal concludes that the administrators who fielded a 2001 complaint about him created a dangerous situation for future victims by not reporting the matter.

The Freeh Group's report issued Thursday said that in order to avoid bad publicity, president Graham Spanier, football coach Joe Paterno, athletic director Tim Curley and vice president Gary Schultz ''repeatedly concealed critical facts.''

The report says the men ''failed to protect against a child sexual predator harming children for over a decade.''

The report says all four knew about a 1998 investigation into Sandusky that didn't result in criminal charges at the time, but none alerted the trustees and none took further action against Sandusky.

Sandusky is awaiting sentencing after being convicted of 45 criminal counts. The scandal led to the ouster of Paterno and the school's president.

If the WTS thinks that its appeals in the courts will absolve it of responsibility, it had better think again. Seeing how obtuse the Governing Body and the WTS Legal Department which has acted as its adviser and surrogate in these cases, I have to believe this report cannot be good news and only portends what the Society itself will hear as their appeals move forward. And you can be sure that future litigants will seize on the Freeh report to press their own lawsuits.

Quendi

• Quendi
    Quendi

bump

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I just read it. Sounds like Paterno, Board of Trustees, and others KNEW but did nothing to limit Sandusky to future victims.

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

I had the same thought this morning.

They might just be dead meat............. finally.

• carla
    carla

Here's hoping!

• james_woods
    james_woods

Emails were once again the big discovery:

PSU wanted to make sure Sandusky was treated humanely. At least their hearts were in the right place.

http://articles.philly.com/2012-06-1...aily-collegian

http://m.nbcsports.com/content/repor...umane%E2%80%99

Ah, email .... This is really no different than the typical JW coverup of this kind of case. The victims are going to clean up on PSU.

• Bella15
    Bella15

"Penn State's most powerful leaders showed "total and consistent disregard" for victims of child sex abuse and failed to protect children, according to the findings of a long-awaited internal review over how the university handled a scandal involving its former defensive coordinator."

Sounds so familiar

• Bella15
    Bella15

Sometimes I wonder why the FBI doesn't act on the WTC with the claims from silentlambs that they (WTC) have a list of more than 20,000 pedos in their ranks ...

• james_woods
    james_woods

Some more on the PSU report:

http://online.wsj.com/public/resourc...port071212.pdf

Many are saying that if Paterno had lived, he might well be facing charges for his role in covering this up.

He was apparantly the primary voice in not reporting the 2001 shower incident to the police.

• Quendi
    Quendi

The Freeh report is also available in its entirety at this location:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/99901850/Freeh-Report-of-the-Actions-of-Penn-State-University

By now, I'm sure somebody has forwarded a copy to the WTS Legal Department if its personnel have not already downloaded and read it for themselves. Now the department and the Governing Body will have nearly a week to digest the findings and then think about how this will impact their appeal of the Conti verdict and judgments. Form their standpoint, it will be absolutely vital that no linkage be established between the Sandusky scandal and the Conti case because if that happens it could lead to a catastrophic cascade failure for the organization. I wonder if this will be an agenda item at next Wednesday's Governing Body conclave. It it isn't, it should be.

This is a very powerful aftershock of the Sandusky scandal, and its reverberations will reach far beyond the world of intercollegiate football. I imagine its tremors will be felt not only at the WTS Brooklyn headquarters, but as far as the Vatican as well. So far, the WTS has been lucky with the timing of events with this news coming at a time when most Witnesses are preoccupied with the summer district convention season. The report will feature on tonight's network news broadcasts without the WTS case being mentioned. But I think it is only a matter of time before someone makes that connection, and depending on the timing it could mean all hell will break loose.

Quendi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit