Is the Governing Body overdue to make new appointments?

by cedars 44 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• flipper
    flipper

So DATA- are you in the know, or something - saying this " K.M. " is going to be appointed a GB member ? It's not brother " Kingdom Ministry " is it ? ( trying to lighten it up a bit. ) Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• cedars
    cedars

Thanks DATA-DOG for what sounds like inside info. I will look out for that! My research tells me that normally those who have pioneered get appointed, preferably if they have served as travelling overseers for a period. I don't know whether that's the case with this guy? Also, they tend to already be "helpers" on one of the GB committees, but I can appreciate if you would rather not be too specific.

Everyone else seems to be making the valid point that adding new members might "dilute" the power base. However, surely the positives of making a new appointment will far outweigh the negatives if it means ensuring the longevity of the organization. Also, the existing Governing Body members are in the priviliged position of being able to "cherry pick" a candidate who is suitably subservient to their current way of doing things, and not too much of a "hell raiser" or liberalist.

Cedars

• sir82
    sir82

Hah!

Next new member of the governing body - Karl Marx!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

It is my opinion that Ted Jaracz loaded the GB up with his yes-men and didn't want more invited, so that it was easy to carry a majority.

Even as many died, they had an agenda to get to the stupidest doctrinal change ever- the overlapping generation. I am confident that the yes-men were convinced that they already had a majority and didn't want to try to overcome any new appointees with the passing of that doctrine.

But also the other problems like pedophile lawsuits might want them to keep it small and not have GB newbies trying to put people ahead of the organization. Can't have that.

• MC RubberMallet
    MC RubberMallet

Kenneth Cook. He is an anointed brother in bethel that about 3 years ago got assigned to Writing Correspondance from Bethel Office in Wallkill. There was speculation about him. He is not a rule oriented brother at all. Definitely a people person, a pleasurable brother. Makes people around him feel relaxed an at ease. The 'helper' status may change him. I would really hate to see that happen. But all GB members are cool to be around personally. It's what they discuss in those private rooms that worry me... And like Ray Franz pointed out, good brothers will always be minority regardless.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Seven is the lowest number ever on the GB as it is currently constituted since it began in the 1970s.

I think they are leaderless and at a bit of a loss. They probably do most things on advice from lawyers and accountants so what does it matter if there are sixteen or six of them. Maybe they are ashamed to let new members join and see the extent of the shambles they are presiding over.

• MC RubberMallet
    MC RubberMallet

Maybe, just maybe, they are waiting for Loesch to die so the rest can make things right! Actually put the organization in a positive direction!

Lol.

• cedars
    cedars

I just need to correct something I said in the OP, namely...

For example, Losch is the only surviving member to have served with some of the original pre-1971 Watch Tower Society directors (Henschel and Swingle), so in many ways his experience is invaluable - but he won't be around forever!

In actual fact, there are 5 current members who served for a time with Henschel and Swingle, the veterans of the pre-1971 Board of Directors who died in 2001 and 2003 respectively. These are Losch, Herd, Lett, Pierce and Splane. However, the point still stands. These guys won't be around forever. The clock is ticking when it comes to training up replacements for the "old guard".

Now continue!

Cedars

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Are they ever going to appoint others from a non-American and non-English speaking background? I think Poetzinger and Loesch were the only ones, and Poetzinger was already settled in the United States when appointed. If they want to be representative of their worldwide membership calling a couple of members from Africa, South America, Europe and Asia respectively might be a good idea. Somewhat unlikely however as outsiders might arrive in New York with their own ideas of how things should be done.

When you think about it it is pretty remarkable that Gerrit Loesch made it onto the GB. I wonder what they saw as so special about him.

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

I think a more important question is, are they the one solely in charge of making important decisions, be they doctrinal or organizational? Let's be realistic, they have to have some sort of influence. Or can they really be running the whole show? I've heard it suggested here that they are merely puppets, and that there is someone else running the show. In that case, new appointments wouldn't matter much, would they?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit