Is the Governing Body overdue to make new appointments?

by cedars 44 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cedars
    cedars

Hi everyone

I'm doing some research for a new blog article on the Governing Body. It's in a question-and-answer or "FAQ" format, and attempts to give simple but well-founded answers to most questions that people could conceivably ask about the Governing Body.

One thing I noticed when looking at the history of the Governing Body is that we seem to be in the middle of a lengthy "dry spell" when it comes to making new appointments.

Gerrit Losch is currently the longest-serving member having been appointed in 1994. However, his appointment came at the end of a 17 year period in which no appointments were made. This contrasts notably with the remarkable six-year period between 1971 and 1977 when 15 members were added.

Since Losch's appointment, 4 members were added in 1999 (Herd, Lett, Pierce and Splane) and 2 more recently in 2005 (Morris and Jackson).

The seven year spell since the last appointments were made has seen the deaths of Barber, Barr, Jaracz, Shroeder and Sydlik - cutting the number of Governing Body members almost in half. And yet, the Governing Body seems to stubbornly refuse to appoint any new members to fill the empty chairs of the recently departed.

Of course, they would argue that it is the spiritual qualifications of potential recruits that determines whether new appointments are made. However, from a more cynical and pragmatic standpoint, it is in the Governing Body's interests to ensure its ongoing legacy by making some new appointments in the near future. Otherwise, the Governing Body risks running things right to the wire, and making hurried appointments when there are hardly any long-time Governing Body members left to train the new recruits and guarantee the continuity and longevity of the establishment. For example, Losch is the only surviving member to have served with some of the original pre-1971 Watch Tower Society directors (Henschel and Swingle), so in many ways his experience is invaluable - but he won't be around forever!

It wouldn't surprise me if a surge of new appointments are announced at some point over the next two years. What baffles me is that this hasn't been done much sooner.

(As always, if you haven't already participated in the 2012 JW Survey, please do so!)

Cedars

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

There is a danger of adding more GB members. It may result in less of an agreement with GB decisions. Also they do not want to add a potential alpha male to the group. A younger member added may desire changes that the present body does not want.

• sir82
    sir82

This is based on nothing but my fevered imagination, but....

I sometimes wonder if there is some crucial issue that is close to the 2/3 majority to pass - maybe 4 of the 7 are in favor of it.

If they add 1 or 2 more, which way would they vote on [Issue X]? Will the new members tip the scales?

• yknot
    yknot

Rumors have circulated Bethel for YEARS of new appointments...

If I was a GB memeber I wouldn't want to add until Sam is on his death bed or passes.

If I was a GB and being forced to choose .... I think the previous rumored men would be good but also adding a Brother with a Latino surname for good measure.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

What they SHOULD do is all disfellowship each other for apostasy, but that would take courage, honesty and a love of truth, all things which apparently the current governing body members all lack.

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

LOL what do they need new members for?

The 6 or 7 of them seem to have agreed they'll try continuing the hard line towards education & disfellowshiping.

Any new boys from the same overlapper class could upset the balance.

NB - I'm surprised they havent come out with any Elijah / Elisha stuff to justify the GB 2.0 overlappers.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

I've wondered about this too. I wonder if they really believe their overlapping bullshit. If so, they may have sold themselves on the idea that they alone are the overlappers, and they aren't adding anyone. Of course, this has a side benefit in that as each one who remains alive gains more power as the others die off. Then you might end up with a real helluva situation if it gets down to just one or two old codgers running the show!

The other possibility is that they are happy with how things are running right now, and adding anyone dilutes their power. Of course my suspicion is that we aren't dealing with a group of mental giants here, as they got where they are by being "yes men"

• 00DAD
    00DAD

They are all hoping all the other ones die off so they alone can be ruler of God's Kingdom on Earth!

• flipper
    flipper

CEDARS- A good friend of mine on the board JRK and I - we were discussing this very subject of your thread about 2 months ago. Both of our consensus was that in order to continue consolidating their power and control , it's one of the main reasons the 7 GB members have NOT appointed new GB members. It really doesn't surprise me at this point that no new GB members have been appointed - due to the arrogant, pompous, and overtly paranoid control that the GB is exercising these days over the rank & file, the elders, and ALL JW's.

When you consider the child abuse lawsuits ( Candace Conti - among others probably in the making ) , blood transfusion lawsuits, or any OTHER legal problems and entanglements are going on - it serves the WT society's interests right now at this time to close ranks in their upper echelon membership - whether it's the WT corporate attorneys, GB, or other higher ups - in order not to have some newer GB members stirring up the pot and having different opinions than the current 7 GB members. Everybody at the top needs to be just as evil intented as the next guy so the 133 year lie can continue to proliferate and prosper ! AND that WT corporate interests will be protected at all costs. Think Dr. Evil from Austin Powers - it might be close to the mark, believe me. Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Remeber these initials " K.M" I cannot be more specific at this time, except to say this person is old enough, and claims to be annointed and has been an Elder/pioneer/Convention speaker for years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit