by mrsjones5 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Open mind
    Open mind

*smile*

Very glad to hear it Josie.

om

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Only just saw this thread. That's great news, and very interesting too, Mrs J. I'm so pleased for you.

I know more than one child and adult too who have autism, to some degree or other. The autistic spectrum covers such a wide variety of conditions.

How old is Joshua?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Joshua is eight. He'll turn nine in August.

• JustThatGirl007
    JustThatGirl007

BRAVO!!!! That's wonderful!!

Hey, I know we have PMd very briefly before (6-ish mos ago?) but I've got a FB page going now, if you were interested in checking it out. It's https://www.facebook.com/parentingwithaspergers

:)

(Edit: To those who don't know, my son and I have asperger's syndrome. He is 12.)

• cofty
    cofty

That's great news.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Thank you 007. I'll look up your page.

• snowbird
    snowbird

All six of my grandkids have behavioral problems, so I totally understand.

May you all continue to be blessed.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey Josie..

Thats pretty cool..I like your little guy..

Having a friend is good for him..

...................... ...OUTLAW

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I posted the following on another thread but it's an apt update for this thread:

" Joshua, my youngest who is autistic, had another meltdown last night. I know what his trigger is. It's something we've been working for the last few months at home, at school, and at his after school program that he goes to twice a week during the school year. His trigger is he hates to lose at anything. He can't just pay a game, he has to win it. And last night while his friend was over he blew up because he lost his game. A meltdown can involve hitting on his part (which he did not do last night but has done at school) but usually it's a lot of yelling that desolves into prolonged crying.

His friend quickly went home before Joshua could recover and apologize for his actions. I had Josh and his older brother go over to his friend's house to apologize and explain the outburst. Joshua came back feeling better, he still has a friend, and it was over just like that."

Whew! Baby steps.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I am only twenty months older than my brother. He was born with cerebral palsy. After much intervention, he functions almost normally. All that is visible is that he has a slight limp. His one hand is spastic. My brother won a letter in track in high school. True, he came in lost but he was in the event. People applauded his letter. He even played an instrument, trombone? that required only one hand.

My mom was told he was severely retarded. Doctors pointed out his mongoloid eyes. He has normal shaped eyes that are very evident. The Witnesses and my father offered no help. She dragged the two of us to every available resource and we scouted out any possibility. Later in life, she told me how she prayed when it was first obvious he had a brain injury. She prayed that he could communicate enough so that she would know his needs. My mom was outraged that prayer provided help. She was just fortunate. Her child was not any better or her faith stronger than another mom with very severe problems.

When I was told this as an adult, I cried so hard. I remember all the hard work but never realized what it took. Reading about your child, I recall my mom. How wonderful! It stops me in my tracks kvetching about not having every consumer item.

What a giant leap.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit