Serena Wins Wimbleton

by RubaDub 48 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon Morley
    Simon Morley

They were worrying about Serena's short balls.

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

Finkelstein; That physique comes from using steroids... Women are not built like that.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

It started out as another incredibly lopsided uncompetitive borrrrrring WTA GS final....at least Radwanska got the middle set after coming close to getting bageled in the first. But things used to be a lot more competitive. There were great rivalries in the past. WTA tennis was awesome in the days of Steffi Graf, Martina Navratilova, and Monica Seles. We need more people in the WTA like Serena (or like Kim Clijsters, Maria Sharapova, Venus Williams, Francesca Schiavone). Like really, really bad.

• elderelite
    elderelite

Just curious.... Does that mean the desert god was AGAINST her all the years she didnt win? Or that desert god was with those that did?

• Quendi
    Quendi

Hey, Leolaia, don't forget other great women tennis players like Chris Evert, Billie Jean King and Margaret Court. Of course, that was more than a generation ago, but they were all great champions in their heydays, especially Court who along with Graf, and "Mighty Mo" Connolly are the only women to ever win all four Grand Slam tournaments in the same calendar year. Serena has won all four consecutively, but spread out over two different calendar years (2002-2003), still a remarkable achievement.

As for Serena, why should people give her grief because she expresses some religious sentiment when she wins a major championship? So many of us rightly condemn the WTS for its nitpicking, but will indulge in it ourselves when an issue arises that personally rankles us. Serena Williams' play speaks for itself. Great training, conditioning, drive and determination have all played their part, but she wouldn't have won 14 Grand Slam titles if she didn't have the God-given talent to begin with. The aforementioned factors sharpened and honed what she was born with. If she chooses to thank her Creator for it, then I have no problem with that--and neither should anyone else.

Quendi

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

To the question about how much of a JW is Serena.

Serena Williams 'Will Never Date Again' - Unless He's a Jehovah's Witness

• Tennis star Serena Williams (Photo: Reuters/Shannon Stapleton) Tennis star Serena Williams
    Serena Williams is done with dating.

Serena Williams, the famed female tennis star, told her over 2 million followers on Twitter that she no longer dates. Whether the rumors, men, or just dating has gotten to her, no one knows, but one thing is for sure- she will "never date again," according to her Twitter feed.

"I will never date again is what I mean," Williams responded to a user, KeithOneal1, who asked her "You don't 'date' what exactly do you do?"

The questions came in response to the tennis champion's Twitter topic #serenafriday. Last Friday, the star told her followers that she would answer as many questions as she could if they contained the hashtag, and many responded.

Williams remained patient as the dating question came up more than once.

"I don't date," replied Williams.

The reason the 30-year-old has sworn of dating could have a lot to do with her faith. Raised as a Jehovah's Witness, the tennis champion told Sister 2 Sister magazine that it was important that she find a man of faith to marry.

"I think it's important when you marry to be evenly yoked," she said, quoting 2 Corinthians 6:14. The verse warns Christians not to be too entangled with unbelievers.

"I've been studying to be a Jehovah's Witness, so I go to Kingdom Hall," she told the publication. "I grew up a Witness and it's what I know and we teach things that come from the Bible."

Despite the fact that their beliefs are not those of mainstream Christianity, there are plenty of Jehovah's Witnesses for Williams to marry, if she so chose- the organization has over 7 million members.

• Simon Morley
    Simon Morley

Yea, Chris Evert, had a bad crush on her in the 70's!!

• elderelite
    elderelite

Im fairness quendi, i ask the same of everyone, whatever their faith, when they credit a divine being for a sporting victory.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Has any sport star thanked Thor for their winning performance ?

• elderelite
    elderelite

Well THAT would be understandable! Thor isnt all busy, having actually fuflilled his promise to rid the world of frost giants. The desert god, on the other hand, hasnt done jack s**t and i really dont think has time for tennis

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit