How have you fared since leaving the Jehovah's Witnesses?

by God_Delusion 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• God_Delusion
    God_Delusion

Howdy guys and gals!

Personally, my life has been fantastic. It's like a massive weight has been lifted off of me, especially when it comes to having to go to the meetings.

If I am honest, it took me a while to realise "wordly people" were actually normal red-blooded human beings. Once I had figured out they were just like you and I, I decided to become one of them and haven't looked back since.

Life is now truly wonderful!

Andrew, the JWB co-author, has written his piece on what it's like now he's finally left the Witnesses too.

http://www.jehovahswitnessblog.com/leaving-the-jehovahs-witnesses/life-after-leaving-the-jehovahs-witnesses/

It's been a while since I saw a thread about your experiences immediately after leaving and then how your life developed during the months and years that followed.

Let's get this one rocking!

Love,
    Jaymes

• Flat_Accent
    Flat_Accent

Not much has changed in terms of my personality. That's probably down to being mentally 'out' for quite some time before I was physically gone. But at least I don't have to worry what everyone thinks about me anymore, or whether I'm good enough.

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

My life has been great since I left the borg. I had stopped attending meetings and going in fs for a few years before I was caught up in the purg of the 80's and was df'd. It is a relief not to have to go the meeting 3 times a week, like we did back in the 80s, and not going in FS. Since leaveing the borg, I have obtained two university degrees. I have traveled to several large cities for conferences every Spring and they are fun, not like the DC. I also get to eat at some of the best restaurants once a month while attending meeting for my job. I also don't have to worry about someone getting into my personal life. I read want I want, say what I wan,t and don't have to worry about Armagaddon coming and my being destroyed at any given time. I now live my life without fear. As you said, worldy people are just like us, people trying to have as good a life as possible; some are good, some not so good, but generally just people. I always hated living in the land of the free and not being free to live my life like all the worldly people, Now I am just like them. FREE TO BE ME.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

No more field circus. No more boasting sessions. No more having to live by the rules from the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger. I can now look at the Bible on my terms, including disbelieving the whole thing.

Also, no more hang-ups regarding Christmas. No more do I have to be stressed out when seeing Christmas lights around--if only there could be some more. I can go into a display of Christmas decorations with the view of buying some, not being stressed out by them. I can listen to, and enjoy Christmas music, not worry myself sick about it.

Speaking of music, I can now enjoy whatever I wish. I learned that, even if a song disagrees with me on some belief issue (for instance, it praises Jesus and I do not believe in Jesus), I can still enjoy it if the execution and performance merit it. Also, I have learned that worrying too much about "objectionable" music only gives it that much more power. Thus, I will not abstain from listening to such Jesus music--though I don't go out of my way to listen to it. Going out of my way to abstain from hearing it would only give it more power, and I remember the dread when one day someone played a tape of Led Zeppelin while I was a witless.

And, my material things are mine. I select what clothes I wish to wear and when (better quality than what I had as a witless). I select what type of light bulbs to use (LED's that are "materialistic"). I choose how to invest my money--buying silver rather than wasting it on field circus or Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund donations). I get to choose what furniture to invest in, what music I wish to listen to and how, what learning courses I wish to purchase, and so on.

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

Two words; Drama Free

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

Its fantastic. I fight the bitterness of wasted years as an elder.....years I should have been enjoying life; but trying to focus on new things and enjoying each day.

No drama....no meetings.....no lies.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Wonderful.

Mind you, the start was pretty rough, involving feelings of self loathing, guilt, divorce and nervous breakdown. I would change none of it.

what i have rebuilt out of the fire has been a JWs nightmare! Man leaves 'jehovah' and becomes well adjusted, happy and responsible. Builds good relationship with non custodial children, remarries, builds a good career and gains true friends!

The sense of relief at abandoning the religion was huge. I had been suffering some serious depression and deep unhappiness. After much soul searching i realized that my depression was what i call 'circumstancial depression', that meaning that if i changed circumstances the depression would change likewise. And it worked! Yes i had to deal with the whole separation/divorce/fight over kids shit but that was no different to any other persons experience with marriage disintergration. What changed was that i was no longer in a cycle of self loathing and internal conflict created by a religion trying to keep my authentic self in a very uncomfortable small minded box.

I knew that i would never never go back. I knew this the day i left even though for another 12 odd years i continued to think they were the true religion.

If i had to go back, i would die. If i went back i would have to take of my much loved personality and become so labotomised drone devoid of real personality, it would kill me.

screw you jehovah's witnesses and the WT, you are a soul sucking psychopath

oz

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I haven't physically left yet, but I've noticed a huge change with my health/mental health issues since seeking out TTATT two years ago. Big difference. I'm hoping as things progress and the distance between me and this institution grows (along with a lot of therapy sessions) I keep feeling better and better.

If i went back i would have to take of my much loved personality and become so labotomised drone devoid of real personality, it would kill me.

Fortunately, this will never happen (and I know AUSSIE OZ is just throwing out a hypothetical here - he aint going back!) But at this point, returning even just mentally would be like trying to un-ring a bell or re-believing in Santa Claus. I'm not sure I understand some of these folks who are DFd and want back in or those who know TTATT and want to go back. Must be pretty evil stuff to have such a hold on folks.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

I am happier than ever before. Before the JW's, my life was hard and I repeatedly thought of suicide and other stuff. Since I left the JW's my life has been even harder with more emotional stuff going on (divorce, not seeing my child, accusations of abusing my child, custody fights, ex not complying with custody agreement, paying full mortgage and rent, adjusting to new relationships and friends) but even though I eventually got relief of most of those things, I never thought that there was no end to it and that I should commit suicide, those feelings hardly ever came up while if I was still a JW and going through all these things, I probably would have.

All-in-all my life is wonderful, I feel truly a return for my efforts in life while I never felt "blessed" among the JW's, I have goals and things to do now while knowing the world is not ending, I have true friends instead of backstabbers, I can talk about what I believe and feel even though I might be incorrect. Not even feeling depressed right now, my life has gotten so much better. And blood sausage and rare meat is awesome!

• C6H12O6
    C6H12O6

To be honest: half good and half bad

the bad: living with a JW family member who makes my life as difficult as possible, starting my social circle from scratch, trying to ignore rumors and gossip spread about me

the good: more free time, less stress wrinkles, less stress weight, get to sleep in on weekend mornings, no more dealing with fake friends, being able to join holidays and birthdays without the awkwardness of being a JW, and no more worrying about breaking god WT's laws or pleasing god WT

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit